Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The War/Panic Thread

Falcon_BlizZACK

Why? What can possibly be so important that you need to kill somebody else? Money? Power? Grow the fuck up.

Self-defence?

I'm a pacifist, and am very much in favour of negotiation and diplomacy above all other methods, but communication should be in a language both should understand, and if those opposed to you only seem to speak violence, violence may be required as an absolute last resort.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we even may be beginning to see the beginning of the "Decline of America".

I think your right, and the Russian's know it too. This whole Georgia incident is really bad stuff! They might well have some right to South Ossetia and Abkhazia, but the problem is that in their minds they also have right to Georgia as well. I can easily see them on Georgian soil before the end of the year (they technically are now, except the land wasn't under Georgian control).

I worry that this whole thing could explode in to WWIII, it just depends how greedy Russia decide to be and how strong they think they are.

Guest Stefkov
its a good tactic to cripple people.. as well as the loss of soldiers, there is more cost to the enemy caring for their sick. I think those guys in africa who decided to cut hands off the children had that idea too

I like your thinking. By doubling their workload there's the constant pressure for them to just stop treating them/treat the less wounded. Less people in action means less fighting.

Why not do what about 90% of the troops in the Western Allied armies in WWII did, and just fire roughly in the direction of the enemy, or over their heads.

Because nowadays they'd probably have homing bullets. (Resistance:FoM lol...)

As a person with a similar to him, I doubt he would feel disgraced, as I wouldn't. Unless disgraced is not describing a feeling..?

Why would he deserve it? Some of us want to live our lives as fullt as possible, why is that so bad? I have intense fear of death, hence I'm going into a battlefield to kill or be killed (probably both).

I agree, dude.

I think I'm passionate about a lot of things. But, I would also say that I'm compassionate. I don't like the idea of hurting another person, or causing another person pain.

With death, I wouldn't say I have a great fear of it. But, when I do go, I want to go in the 'right' way. I don't believe in war or conflict, as to me that seems in-human, which just goes against a lot of what I believe in or stand for, or am.

When you turn on the news pretty much every day, and see another country blowing the shit of another, whilst another country is living in poverty or horrible conditions, do you not ask yourself "where is the compassion in that?"

If war was really the answer, then I think that is the day I would class myself as a non-human.

Self-defence?

I'm a pacifist, and am very much in favour of negotiation and diplomacy above all other methods, but communication should be in a language both should understand, and if those opposed to you only seem to speak violence, violence may be required as an absolute last resort.

Self defence would depend on the circumstances, surely? If somebody tried to knife you in the street, then you'd try and protect yourself. If I was on the battlefield, I would think of defending myself. But, my point was the idea of going to a war. Thats attacking, not defending, right?

Guest Maase

LOL

The Fish, its true, obviously, its not like there are that many shootings out there in the world, disease tough, its much more common than shots in the head...

I wouldn't go, simple as. They would have too literally hunt me down to make me join. I don't like the army or anything to do with it. I don't like being controlled and told what to do in my life, nor will I risk my life being a useless pawn to the higher ups in a meaningless bloodshed war because thousdands upon thousands of people getting killed means nothing.

People (idiots who drop out school) think joining the army is noble and brave or even 'cool' serving their country since they think it's the right thing to do, I just don't. Their just useless pawns in the higher ups mind. And at the end of the day 'their' country doesn't care for them. I'm not brainwashed into believing it's the right thing to do or if it's their 'duty' to fight for their country. I think it's bull because their forcing people to go against what they want to do and it's not their choice to sign up.

That's all for now.

If you didn't go you would be hunted down and end up in Colchester Military Prison and if you think regular prisons are tough you'd be in a for a very unpleasant surprise.

Your second paragraph *sighs* as ex forces myself that statement is so shallow minded I like you Shadow but that statement is so insulting in so many ways and so wrong on so many many levels I dont even know where to start. I've seen terrorist activities 1st hand and witnessed injury and death you really should think before you type such shite.

I'd go. I wouldn't shoot to kill though. Aim for the hands/arms/legs. If they can't shoot or walk they can't carry on. Might aswell cripple them for life than kill them. That way I'll feel good about myself.

its a good tactic to cripple people.. as well as the loss of soldiers, there is more cost to the enemy caring for their sick. I think those guys in africa who decided to cut hands off the children had that idea too

Yup a good tactic is to cripple people thats why the SA80 replaced the SLR. If you shot someone with an SLR which had 7.2mm rounds you'd kill them more often than not (very powerful). An SA80 on the other hand has 5.62mm rounds and will more than likely injure the enemy. If you injure someone then another two people have to deal with them thus reducing people fighting you.

I don't understand the idea of what a war is meant to achieve. In this day and age, the year 2008, you'd think that we would have developed some form of intelligence and resolve, rather than smashing your enemy's face with a rock.

Isn't the whole idea of diplomacy and having a government in place so that we do not need to go to a war, but rather sort things out diplomatically? If in the end one country is sending their troops out to fight another, isn't that teaching people the idea that violence is needed to solve a problem? That the only way to solve this problem is to kill the person on the opposite side, who is most likely being told the same thing as you are?

I don't like the idea of fighting or conflict. Neither do I really like the idea of taking somebody else's life because I'm being told to do so. Why? What can possibly be so important that you need to kill somebody else? Money? Power? Grow the fuck up.

Oh for fucks sake! Try negotiating with Bin Laden - and make sure your not in a tall building when you do it.

I don't really understand why they'd jail people who refused to partake in National Service. It seems like shooting yourself in the foot.

"Let's put them in jail, where we have to pay to feed them, rather than putting them in hospitals and arms factories where they could be of use."

They'd put you in jail because you were breaking the law if National Service became law you'd have to co-operate or face the consequences.

Oh for fucks sake! Try negotiating with Bin Laden - and make sure your not in a tall building when you do it.

Obviously we see things from a different view. You're ex forces, and I'm a trainee teacher. Each and every kid I teach or go on to teach, I want them to have the opportunity to go ahead and pursue their goals, to live.

I know youre a trainee teacher and I admire that career a lot. In fact I've been working in a secondary school for the past 13 years. I worked for 8 years with phyiscally impaired kids and the last five as a Behaviour Support Officer (I deal with the bad kids when teachers need me, I also deal with consequences thoughout the school and organise and take detention 5 days a week).

I deal with a lot of kids and some want to join the armed forces and I actively encourage it, they usually come and talk to me about it as I'm ex army and I had no regrets about serving - made a man out of me and kept me out trouble that I would have got into had I stayed home - a lot of my mates at that time got into serious shit.

Guest Maase

This is getting so exciting i can't speak...

I already subscribed to World News, Portugal is pratically just a By Stander in this crazy world, so i don't think we're in danger (at least for now), but this is starting to get big, with 2 Possible Big Wars exploding

It's simply because you're not complying with the law. So, you're in the wrong, in which case you get punished.

I'd laugh when a significant percentage of Britian's youth were sent to prison. And then laugh even harder when the government realises it has no one to work its infrastructure.

So paying for someone to sit in a prison cell is the best idea, when the said person could be working at a hospital?

Hmmm like I said you'd go to prison because it would be the law - I suppose you don't pay tax either or have insurance for your car.

Rules are rules if National Service became law there's fuck all you could do about it - you could moan about it but it wouldn't make any difference. If you were in a military prison you would not be doing much sitting about.

I'd laugh when a significant percentage of Britian's youth were sent to prison. And then laugh even harder when the government realises it has no one to work its infrastructure.

I think the joke would be on you.

Guest Maase
I know youre a trainee teacher and I admire that career a lot. In fact I've been working in a secondary school for the past 13 years. I worked for 8 years with phyiscally impaired kids and the last five as a Behaviour Support Officer (I deal with the bad kids when teachers need me, I also deal with consequences thoughout the school and organise and take detention 5 days a week).

I deal with a lot of kids and some want to join the armed forces and I actively encourage it, they usually come and talk to me about it as I'm ex army and I had no regrets about serving - made a man out of me and kept me out trouble that I would have got into had I stayed home - a lot of my mates at that time got into serious shit.

How old are you? Like... 40?

Wow, that's awesome :o, i hope i still maintain interest in internet when i have your age ^^ (and until my death)

But anyway, would England be really that mean to make compulsory millitary service? I don't know... isn't there any other way, hasn't England nukes?

Yeah, I remember you saying some of that when we used to talk on MSN (ages ago, haha).

Don't get me wrong, like I've just mentioned in the staff board, I do not have a problem with people doing what they want to do as long as they want to do it.(as long as it doesn't break any huge laws, etc). If people want to join the army, then thats fine. If people want to take up running and make a bid for the Olympics, thats fine because they want to do it. People should be allowed to reach their dreams and goals.

I understand the idea of the army isn't solely about going to war, or killing. There's a lot more to it than that. The army isn't what bothers me, its pretty much the "why."

How old are you? Like... 40?

Wow, that's awesome :o, i hope i still maintain interest in internet when i have your age ^^ (and until my death)

But anyway, would England be really that mean to make compulsory millitary service? I don't know... isn't there any other way, hasn't England nukes?

Cheeky Bastard I'm 38 lol.

I wouldn't go, simple as.

Hang on, hang on. You wouldn't go? How do you work that one out?

If the nation is in a time of need to the point where it must call on National Service to fill the ranks of the Army then you WILL go. Not doing so lets down every one of your peers in this country. With a smaller army every man and woman that goes to war is more likely to be killed. With a smaller army we are more likely to LOSE the war.

If war happens then you running away from National Service won't help, it'll just bring the war to our shores that little bit faster. An invasion is a hell of a lot more bloody than fighting on foreign soil, would you really condemn you're friends and family to that sort of fate? It's selfish beyond belief.

COWARD.

And for those of you that can't bare the thought of hurting someone else; get a different job inside the army. Train as a medic if you want to help people, or work in communications. There's thousands of vital roles that would fall under National Service without involving direct killing.

You wouldn't be laughing for long. If a good portion of our youth won't join then they'll recruit someone else. There's plenty of prison space for you lot if they start letting convicts join the forces ;)

hasn't England nukes?

Yes, but it's not a threat we can make. Think about how small a nation we are (geographically), if we turned to someone like Russia and said "go to war with us and we'll nuke you" they'd just laugh! They'd blow us to dust with half a douzen missles! It'd take hundreds, maybe even thousands of ours to cover every square-inch of their country.

Guest Maase

Yes, but Mcphee, i was actually talking about Afghanistan :X

But yes, dealing with Russia, if you want do destroy them, the only way to do it is a Massive attack of Nukes, and that would be too extreme, everyone in the world would go against England.

During the cold war there were enough nuclear weapons on Earth to destroy the planet 5 times over. Always daft I thought, as you only need to destroy it once!

There has been a lot of nukes disarmed now but I'm betting if there was a nuclear was no-one would win we'd all be toast.

Yeah right, i really believe they would disarm great weapons like that...

If i were a president or something like that, i would keep as much as possible, specially in these hard times...

Damn Russia...

You wouldn't be laughing for long. If a good portion of our youth won't join then they'll recruit someone else. There's plenty of prison space for you lot if they start letting convicts join the forces ;)

I never said I wouldn't partake in national service. I just think it's a silly policy for the government to take up, jailing people. Jailing, in itself, is a bad policy, since the governemnt has to pay to keep the people alive, and it isn't even that great a deterrant; Jail is better than living in poverty, especially when you are surrounded by conscientious objectors.

Yes, but it's not a threat we can make. Think about how small a nation we are (geographically), if we turned to someone like Russia and said "go to war with us and we'll nuke you" they'd just laugh! They'd blow us to dust with half a douzen missles! It'd take hundreds, maybe even thousands of ours to cover every square-inch of their country.

I'm pretty sure something insane like 35% of Russia's landmass is (essentially) uninhabited (Siberia etc).

You'd just have to bomb the big cities (Moscow etc.).

But yeah, we don't really stand a chance.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!