N-Europe

The War/Panic Thread

Falcon_BlizZACK

I hate the way the Russians are so literal about their troop movements.

When questioned about troops and armour in Gori, they replied "there are no tanks in Gori", which is correct statement. However, there are Russian tanks surrounding Gori, and Russian troops in Gori, not to mention South Ossettian separatists looting the place.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate the way the Russians are so literal about their troop movements.

When questioned about troops and armour in Gori, they replied "there are no tanks in Gori", which is correct statement. However, there are Russian tanks surrounding Gori, and Russian troops in Gori, not to mention South Ossettian separatists looting the place.

Not quite right, Russia admit that part the Russian lead peacekeeping force is near Gori in an abandoned military base. Part of it's duties are dismantling military hardware, it can't just be left abondoned for anyone to use or steal. Georgia can't clean up the hardware itself because it's not allowed to move military forces anywhere near the conflict zone. The South Ossetians shouldn't be anywhere near there though, im wondering if those reports are accurate? The Russians and Germans aren't reporting it.

If you want the full story don't read British, American or Russian media. All 3 are spinning a yarn (especially the BBC, who i'm really quite pissed off with).

Mcoy tried to post about the current situation but Mcoy's message somehow got deleted before he pressed submit, Mcoy apologizes for this small error and will now post his opinion. Mcoy finds it unfortunate that certain moderates are so unforgiving over such a small mistake but Mcoy understands that there are people like this in such a cruel world and forgives you.

Mcoy thinks the Russians have gone too far this time and Mcoy thinks that someone should stand up to them. However Mcoy knows that Russia is a very strong country and that is probably why people are hesitant to take action.

O-sea-sha

Ignore the news, it's read by morons who are managed by morons with the whole thing in total being aimed at... you guessed it! Morons.

Whilst I have no doubt that the news is biased, how do you know that you're right and they're wrong, and not the other way round? Are you currently in Gori?

Not quite right, Russia admit that part the Russian lead peacekeeping force is near Gori in an abandoned military base.

The Russians are obviously very good at peacekeeping. Instead of the European method of "sit between the two sides", they use the method popularised by the Americans - the "fuck up one side so hard they can't even function as a country" approach.

Whilst I have no doubt that the news is biased, how do you know that you're right and they're wrong, and not the other way round? Are you currently in Gori?

I've read articles from enough different sources over the past week to know which ones are probably ture, which ones are based on rumour and which ones are spun out of all proportion. It's down to how many sources report the same thing, where these sources lie geographically and politically and (most importantly) the wording. I'm pretty sure you know political waffle when you see it Fish, am i right? The vast majority of articles from the BBC (and many other UK media sources) reek of it!

The BBC also contradict themselves a lot. They are now saying that the forces near Gori actually were 'demilitarising' the conflict zone by dismantling weapons in an abandoned military base. The whole week they have come out with bold statements and then quietly back pedelled on them later.

The Russians are obviously very good at peacekeeping. Instead of the European method of "sit between the two sides", they use the method popularised by the Americans - the "fuck up one side so hard they can't even function as a country" approach.

They've been mediating this on and off for the best part of 100 years now. They talk, peace is agreed, S. Ossetia gains semi-independance through the peace treaty. A few years pass, Georgia changes it's mind and decides to reclaim what they see as land that is rightfully theirs. They invade, Russia kick off, war happens. Rinse. Repeat.

There's only 2 ways to end this; you force South Ossetia to rejoin Georgia or you force Georgia to let S. Ossetia go. The S. Ossetian people voted 96% in favour of independance in a 2006 referendum that they hoped would draw the eye of the international community. Can you really force that number of people to go against their wishes? The Georgian President staked his Presidency on reuniting Georgia, who knows what the people will do if he fails and S. Ossetia becomes independant? Rose Revolution take 2?

The third option is to leave things as they are, which blatantly doesn't work.

And as for the "European Method" vs the "Russian Method", which do you think saved more lives? Do you leave a war raging on whilst you talk it over? Or is it better to end the war and then talk? Europe almost always waits until people are dying to do anything, it then takes it's time deciding what to do whilst yet more people die (just look how many days it took to get the French President in to the region). Russia just bombed the hell out of the Georgian military, removing the problem. They killed civilians in the process, but i'd be willing to bet that less people died than if they followed the "diplomatic" route.