N-Europe

Does anyone here work at CEX (Computer Exchange)

The Lillster

The reason I ask is because i'm applying for a position at CEX and I need to write a cover letter.

The guy behind the counter said I need to write about what I know about PC's, Mobile Phones, Games, videos, my music tastes, all these type of questions.

What I don't understand is what kind of PC knowledge would I need? I know he mentioned about chips, so I did a little research and learned about the different motherboard terminology like DDRM2, DRAM, all sorts of abreviations.

I wrote a little about my gaming tastes and that I follow the industry closley. I really don't know what to put in a lot of the sections.

He said I need to put what I know about mobile phones. For me this is the most difficult because I don't follow mobile phone trends, and I really don't know much about mobile phones in general. But I am willing to learn.

If you work or have worked for CEX in the past what did you put in your cover letter and what exactly do they look for when employing new people.

As i've stated above, I don't know about everything technological but I am willing to learn new things to get this job.

Thank You.

You should add in the stuff you know, then add the fact that you are perhaps a novice with mobile phones, but as you said are willing to learn. I think honesty goes a long way. Also you could add on the cover letter that you feel honesty is a very important characteristic of a CEX employee.. Turn your negatives into a positive! :)

Or you could blatently lie and get caught on if you are indeed offered an interview. :heh:

So he said you need to know about computers, but you don't. And he said you need to know about phones, but you don't. Sure this is the job for you? You get massive queues of people all day long in CeX and they're all asking about the latest and best phone for 3G or wi-fi or GPS or video playback or memory capacity. They'll poke the motherboard cabinet and ask you which is best for their new quad core or which can hold the most RAM or what PSU would be needed to run etc etc.. Not saying don't go for it, but these are the kind of questions they might spring on you if you make it to the interview stage.

So he said you need to know about computers, but you don't. And he said you need to know about phones, but you don't. Sure this is the job for you? You get massive queues of people all day long in CeX and they're all asking about the latest and best phone for 3G or wi-fi or GPS or video playback or memory capacity. They'll poke the motherboard cabinet and ask you which is best for their new quad core or which can hold the most RAM or what PSU would be needed to run etc etc.. Not saying don't go for it, but these are the kind of questions they might spring on you if you make it to the interview stage.

Well I've already handed in my cover letter now, so too late to change anything. But I did state that I have little experiance in hardware, and the guy said it doesn't matter if your not that familiar with it all.