NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Noku

New keyboard + mouse

Okay, I'd like to buy a new keyboard and mouse. Prerequisites? They both have to be cordless, and the mouse has to have buttons for the thumb and ringfinger.

Please help, I'm on the verge of having my current set smashed to smithereens!

Thanks in advance!

If you are looking for quality go for any high end logitech mouse. I highly recommend the Logitech MX Revolution I used to have it and the only reason i changed it as I really wanted a wired mouse. Absolute quality. Although you are looking about £50 for it. Once you get a good mouse you'll never want to go back.

Microsoft one with a single button.. Not sure if this is good or not, but you can look around at reviews for most mice anyway.

You want a single button for your thumb? I'm not really sure that i've seen too many of those about tbh, its mostly scrolling or double (l/r) buttons on the thumb part of the mouse. But you can configure them with the software that comes with them.

Are you looking for a media keyboard (play, pause, volume, etc) a basic keyboard or a gaming keyboard? Logitech do some good media ones, and you can get a ton of awesome gaming ones, but they are a tad pricey for anything really substantial.

Thanks for the advice!

That MX Rev does look like something I've been looking for; is the scroll-wheel at the thumb clickable? Fail to find any info pertaining to that specific question.

Also, I saw it's almost over two years in the market - is this still competitive? I would think so, as Logitech have just recently bundled the mouse with a new keyboard in their MX 5500 combo (unless that's an updated version).

By the way, why did you go back to a wired mouse? I've had this set for I don't know how long, and pretty content of it until a few weeks ago. I have no idea how much DPi the mouse I've been using has, but it sufficed for the PC gaming I do (RPG, FPS, RTS).

Keyboard-wise, the keyboard that's accompanying the MX 5500 in abovementioned combo (ie, this one) looks a bit like overkill. I want media access buttons, but decent gaming options as well.

Thanks for your help once again!

If you do anything with graphics, I'd recommend something with a scroll ball rather than wheel.

Thanks for the advice!

That MX Rev does look like something I've been looking for; is the scroll-wheel at the thumb clickable? Fail to find any info pertaining to that specific question.

I don't think it is somehow. There are however two buttons above the scroll, that I believe you can customise.

Also, I saw it's almost over two years in the market - is this still competitive? I would think so, as Logitech have just recently bundled the mouse with a new keyboard in their MX 5500 combo (unless that's an updated version).

Yeah its pretty up there in the market. Its a fantastic mouse, thats basically why its lasted. I think there is a newer model of it here but that looks to be one without an internal battery, powered with AAA batts. Moreso laptop use perhaps.

Word of warning, you aren't left handed? I'm sure you've noticed its asymmetrical. It does fit really nicely into yer right hand tho <3

By the way, why did you go back to a wired mouse? I've had this set for I don't know how long, and pretty content of it until a few weeks ago. I have no idea how much DPi the mouse I've been using has, but it sufficed for the PC gaming I do (RPG, FPS, RTS).

Keyboard-wise, the keyboard that's accompanying the MX 5500 in abovementioned combo (ie, this one) looks a bit like overkill. I want media access buttons, but decent gaming options as well.

Thanks for your help once again!

I'm not as fond of wireless mice as I once was. And the Razer gaming mouse caught my eye and I fell in love instantly (its also uber sexah, but it is wired) And it has two thumb buttons rather than a scroll.

I'd rather have one that I don't have to charge overnight, I don't like leaving any computer related item powered on for a long time. (trying to do my bit for the parental's electricity bill)

Regarding keyboards, i'm not sure as to what kind would suit as i'm not a BIG gamer anymores, but i highly recommend going to overclockers if you are looking for a decent gaming keyboard, there are some awesome Saitek, Logitech and Razer ones there.

Actually I had a look at the Logitech bundle that you linked there, doesn't seem too bad even with all the buttons =) Almost tempted myself :heh: That is if you are willing to fork over £100 :D

If you're gaming quite a bit I could recommend the Logitech G7.

You can adjust the sensitivity on the mouse which is quite handy and it goes up to 2000 dpi. It also comes with weights so you can tweak a bit how heavy the mouse will be.

I don't think it is somehow. There are however two buttons above the scroll, that I believe you can customise.

Actually it does, you can also give it different functions for pushing it forward and backwards, the default function is for swapping windows.

That G7 mouse does indeed look tempting... Really in the blue now as to which one to get. This review of the MX Rev has got me a bit worried though, saying it has a "low polling rate." Does this equal to the mouse lagging behind at times? And the G7 would not have this problem because of its ample DPi power, right?

Keyboard-wise, still can't find something to my tastes... Any suggestions? Only requisites are that it has to be wireless and have media shortcuts (well, and be able to play games with, of course).

Thanks for your help so far, really appreciating it.

Actually it does, you can also give it different functions for pushing it forward and backwards, the default function is for swapping windows.

Yeah, I do remember being able to switch windows (that was a rather cool wee feature might i add) but isn't it limited to what it can do via the software?

edit: If you want super awesome dpi, why not go for a wired mouse? Far more reliable for gaming..

And I imagine the MX revolution probably has a higher dpi than the one you are currently using.

That G7 mouse does indeed look tempting... Really in the blue now as to which one to get. This review of the MX Rev has got me a bit worried though, saying it has a "low polling rate." Does this equal to the mouse lagging behind at times? And the G7 would not have this problem because of its ample DPi power, right?

I don't know what low polling rate means but the G7 certainly doesn't lag.

I don't know what low polling rate means but the G7 certainly doesn't lag.

(s)He was talking about the MX revolution, not the G7.

The MX revolution absolutely doesn't lag. Whatsoever. :smile:

(s)He was talking about the MX revolution, not the G7.

The MX revolution absolutely doesn't lag. Whatsoever. :smile:

Okay sweet. Think I'm gonna go for the MX revolution then. Thanks for the help guys!

Still undecided on what keyboard to choose... Really like the wireless Mac keyboards, save for the fact that they don't seem to have a numpad. And that they aren't compatible with Windows, of course :) Anyone know of something similar?

They're also hell to type on, everything is really squashed up and the keys feel like they're from a laptop.

I wish i had something constructive to add tbh, but i don't really know of any good wireless keyboards. All the ones i hear good things about are wired (bar the expensive ones like the DiNovo Edge).

Buy the £80 DiNovo Edge, you know you want to! Its so stupidly expensive! ;)

I've just got a £4 keyboard. Works well for typing stuff.

Get the Optimus Maximus Keyboard!

I personally HATE wireless keyboards with a passion :heh: I never move mine off my desk, so I don't see much point other than looks. Just make sure you go for a good brand name for example, Logitech. And put a reasonable amount of money into it if you want it to last.

That dinovo has 17 buttons and a touchpad.. wowness. Nice way to spend £90

My keyboard is one of those minimalistic dell ones, I got it for 11 pound on teh ebay. ^^

I've just got a £4 keyboard. Works well for typing stuff.

Get the Optimus Maximus Keyboard!

Good god, that has to be the most awesomest keyboard ever! Too bad it's just over my estimated budget...

The Dinovo line... Well, it has to have a numpad. And the Edge is for notebooks. Also, it's just over my budget...

The reason I'm wanting for a wireless keyboard, is that I do move the thing around a lot. My desk doubles as my studying space, space which I need for studying (thus, to be able to put lots and lots of books and documentation around me). A keyboard's just in my way then.

Good god, I've just spent another hour reading through reviews and websites full of ambiguous and mutually contradictory information. Losing my head here :)

Several wireless keyboards have something I like, but all of'm have at least one turn-off at the same time. For instance, the MX5500 keyboard has petite F-keys, no backlit keys, and a less than sexy design (otherwise, that bundle would've been irresistible). The G15's not wireless and provides you with an extra screen, not in the very least redundant seeing as you don't actually operate your computer through a monitor... Microsoft's Natural Ergonomic Keyboard comes bundled with a mouse that's not satisfactory, and so does the Wirless Laser Desktop 7000. Really like the look and sound of the Saitek Cyborg, but it's wired.

Damn damn damn... If any of you could provide a deus ex machina solution to my problem, I could go back to the business at hand (finals and euro 2008).

Dude, you might've saved the day. Will hold out a little longer to see if someone else comes up with a different suggestion, but this looks to be very, very good (consistent ratings in the reviews I've read as well).

Thanks!

If you're still considering a diNovo edge, I have one and can answer any questions you might have.

Could this be the answer?

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboards/keyboard_mice_combos/devices/164&cl=us,en

The mouse is an MX1000, which is pretty good tbh. Worth a good £30-£40

If not then i've no idea what to suggest, other than to give up on the pipe dream of wireless keyboards and mice.

MX1000 is VERY sexy. Its basically the little brother of the Revolution in terms of features. And just as awesome. (I had it before I bought the MX revolution)

I know, typically me, but take this question seriously: Are mice from five years ago so different in features (except adding fourty buttons) than those recently released? I mean, are mice really so big of a deal or am I so little knowing..?

There's not a huge difference. That set Noku just bought is a few years old, things only really advance when a new technology comes on to the scene. Roller Ball - Optical, Optical - Laser etc. Other than that a model of mouse that was good 5 years ago is still good now.

Just to have something to check by - The Apple Mouse, where would it fall within the categories of mice? is it up to date? Is it a good mouse? (except it lacks a button or two that they've crammed onto recent mice, but I find them so anoying I'm glad they're not there).

Sign in to follow this