NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
darksnowman

I'm-a-Wario, I'm-a-gonna win!

Last night I read Part 1 and Part 2 of The History of Wario on Kombo.com. There's a lot of faff in it, but I found some of it interesting so maybe you lads will enjoy it too.

Personally, I like the Wario Land games but I'm not a huge fan of the Warioware titles. And I remember the Mario Land 2 advert from way back when, which was when Wario first got into things. There's some interesting theories about why they made Wario and what he symbolises- basically their idea (dunno if its fact?) boils down to R&D1 disliking making Mario games, because they didn't invent Mario.

Its high time we got a Wario Land 5. Sadly they botched things up with Master of Disguise, but when Wario gets it right... he gets it right, so take him back to Kitchen Island!

The Wario land series is awesome.

Wario Land 1 was so much fun, and a welcome variation of the Mario formula.

Wario Land 3 was great. A fun, addictive, free-roaming platformer.

Wario Land II was...strange for me. I loved WL 3, but this one didn't seem to "click" so much. Was still quite fun, though.

Wario Land 4 was a variation of the formula I didn't really like. He keeps the power-ups from before, but he can now die. Plus, the fact that every level had confusing layouts, and the same "Metroid Countdown" ending didn't sit well with me.

Still, they should go back to this series. I really prefer this to the WarioWare series.

What's Wario Land 3 like? I read some negative reviews of it at the time, meaning I put off buying it- I mean, when the Official Nintendo Mag don't talk up a Nintendo game it sorta worries you. In the end, I didn't get round to picking up Wario Land 3 but moved onto Wario Land 4 as the first game I got with my GBA.

I think 4 is pretty class. It mixed things up in a fresh way and I never even thought of escaping the levels in terms of Metroid. :blank:

Nice find!

I LOVE Mario Land 2 and I also remember the advert, man we really showing our age here :)

I honestly dont care for the character of Wario at all. I liked him in Mario Land 2 as it was a nice change from fighting Bowser but now I just find him and Waluigi annoying. Both of their voices really grate on me :shakehead

What's Wario Land 3 like? I read some negative reviews of it at the time, meaning I put off buying it- I mean, when the Official Nintendo Mag don't talk up a Nintendo game it sorta worries you. In the end, I didn't get round to picking up Wario Land 3 but moved onto Wario Land 4 as the first game I got with my GBA.

Strange. At the time, I read an official review that gave it 97%. Afterwards, I played it in a friend's Gameboy, and I thought the score was somewhat deserving (although definately exaggerated).

It's pretty good. Resembles Wario Land II in many aspects, like the powers, and some bosses (the Football with Turtle&Hare is back).

It's different, in the sense that there are 4 treasures per level. You "complete" a level by finding one of the treasures. Said treasure can either be something useless, or something that unlocks new levels, new abilities, or changes the layout of previous levels. You can explore any unlocked level whenever you want.

To finish the story, you just have to find all the music boxes, and then face the final boss. But there are still a lot of treasures to be found, so the game has a good longevity.

I think 4 is pretty class. It mixed things up in a fresh way and I never even thought of escaping the levels in terms of Metroid. :blank:

I think it's quite similar. You find the bird, and it goes "escape the level!" with a timer on the screen.

The difference is, Metroid does it once per game. WL4 does it at the end of every single level, making it a bit repetitive.

Nice find!

I LOVE Mario Land 2 and I also remember the advert, man we really showing our age here :)

I honestly dont care for the character of Wario at all. I liked him in Mario Land 2 as it was a nice change from fighting Bowser but now I just find him and Waluigi annoying. Both of their voices really grate on me :shakehead

Have you played any of the Wario Land games? They are quality little games. You can revisit levels at different times and things will be changed. For example in that History of Wario it mentions the first world in Wario Land, the cove area. The tide is out when you start the game, but if you come back later the tide will be in and levels will have water in them and stuff. My junior self found things like that pretty nifty!

I haven't played Mario Land 2 in so long, but I remember being incredibly nervous each time I fought against Wario in it. Lol, I also remember being a nervous wreck in Mario Land during the whole of the flying level at the end. Them were the days eh!

Jonnas... you're making me regret skipping on Wario Land 3. From what I remember I read that it was too easy cos you couldn't die, but from what you say about how you collect a treasure and the level ends... no doubt that was put as a negative against it too.

Did you ever collect all the treasures and get the best castle? That was an epic ending! :o

Have you played any of the Wario Land games? They are quality little games.

Yeah I have played all of them and just thought they were ok. The best Wario game I have played was Wario World on the Cube, fantastic little game.

Have you played any of the Wario Land games? They are quality little games. You can revisit levels at different times and things will be changed. For example in that History of Wario it mentions the first world in Wario Land, the cove area. The tide is out when you start the game, but if you come back later the tide will be in and levels will have water in them and stuff. My junior self found things like that pretty nifty!

Did you ever collect all the treasures and get the best castle? That was an epic ending! :o

The "world changing" happens a lot in WL3 (but I had already said that, right?)

The Best Castle ending was the only ending I've ever seen. I refused to fight the final boss before finding all the treasure. Of course, I only did this because the whole school was searching for the remaining ones with their respective cartridges. :heh:

I haven't played Mario Land 2 in so long, but I remember being incredibly nervous each time I fought against Wario in it. Lol, I also remember being a nervous wreck in Mario Land during the whole of the flying level at the end. Them were the days eh!

I found Mario Land 1 to be strange, when I was little. Due to many things, from the enemies, to level design, etc.

The excessive difficulty, coupled with the fact that the game wasn't mine (:heh:) was what turned me off it.

Jonnas... you're making me regret skipping on Wario Land 3. From what I remember I read that it was too easy cos you couldn't die, but from what you say about how you collect a treasure and the level ends... no doubt that was put as a negative against it too.

The "couldn't die" part was like in Wario Land II. You didn't die, but the enemies were specifically designed to block your passage and send you back in the level. Like an ever-changing checkpoint.

The Best Castle ending was the only ending I've ever seen. I refused to fight the final boss before finding all the treasure. Of course, I only did this because the whole school was searching for the remaining ones with their respective cartridges. :heh:

Ah right. I saw a few of them, due to completing the game and then going back for the jewels and treasures- also through completing the game multiple times.

Which was the one with the hats? Wario Land 2? AWESOME GB game!

Wario Land 1 definitely had the hats. It's been so long since I played it or WL2 that I can't be certain about number two. In WL1 the jet hat was my favourite!

The one with the hats was definately Wario Land 1.

All hail the Jet Hat! :bowdown:

There's some interesting theories about why they made Wario and what he symbolises- basically their idea (dunno if its fact?) boils down to R&D1 disliking making Mario games, because they didn't invent Mario.

Intelligent Systems created Wario as a sort of anti-Mario/anti-R&D1 since there was a sort of... rivalry(?) between R&D1 and IS since Gunpei Yokoi left R&D1 and created Intelligent Systems. Intelligent Systems developed Super Mario Land but they needed to created more room to create games, so IS created Wario.

I didn't get Wario Land 1, Wario land 2 was great, I didn't like WL3 as much, and I didn't get WL4. I loved how Wario was invincible, I was a little disappointed when they removed it in WL4.

I loved both Warioland 3 and 4.

Warioland 3 had more hidden exits to newer levels you could shake a stick at. Some of them were really well hidden as well. Finding all the treasures took ages as well-I think there was well over 70 to find?

Warioland 4 was one of the earlier GBA games I picked up and I loved it. I really liked the timer/escape from each level-esp considering how the level would change (Fire Cave becomes an ice Cave) It also featured great music and 3 modes to beat, Normal Hard and SUPER HARD. Did anyone ever beat all 3 modes? The SUPER HARD mode was really strict with the escape timer, the bosses always needed the most powerful items to defeat them from the shop and that meant lots and lots of playing the minigames.

I'd love to see a Warioland 5 in the same vein as either 3/4. The past couple of Wariogames have strayed from the formula that made the first 4 adventures so great.

Sign in to follow this