Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Gamer's Seal of Approval

LazyBoy

To be honest, I like the Idea, but I think you may need to find a better way of making the verdict on weather the game gets the seal or not. There's more than a chance it will fail, but its still worth a try, its not going to cost anyone anything to try, and if it does succeed it could change the industry for the better. But there has to be more concrete criteria for weather a game gets it or not, and the only way this will work is if word gets out there.

The best way to start it would be to contact "hardcore indie" developers and try to persuade them to use the seal, then move on to indie, then onto smaller non-indie and so on. You also need alot of gaming websites to acknowledge the existence of the seal.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, I like the Idea, but I think you may need to find a better way of making the verdict on weather the game gets the seal or not. There's more than a chance it will fail, but its still worth a try, its not going to cost anyone anything to try, and if it does succeed it could change the industry for the better. But there has to be more concrete criteria for weather a game gets it or not, and the only way this will work is if word gets out there.

We're in the process of deciding the criteria right now.

The best way to start it would be to contact "hardcore indie" developers and try to persuade them to use the seal, then move on to indie, then onto smaller non-indie and so on. You also need alot of gaming websites to acknowledge the existence of the seal.

Already happening.

I think that even if this gets ignored by the main public, it could be a seal of great pride for games, kinda like getting a Oscar or a 40/40 on Famitsu, from gamers to gamers. Instead of having "expert" game reviewers with particular tastes and sometimes "alignments", this could be something that no one would doubt or question.

1. Anyone would be allowed to join, but it would be a place for reasoned argument and debate. Comments of fanboyism would be ignored.

2. Gamer's Seal of Approval, not a final name but you get the idea. A mother walking past the box sees this, is she more likely to buy it? I think so.

3. With any percentage score. Casuals aren't going to distinguish between reviewers, they figure they are all the same. This would be simple and straightforward. If it has the seal, it is worth your money.

4. Say you nothing about the Oscars, never heard of it, but you see a movie that won best film. Are you going to question it, or are you going to accept the fact that somewhere this is regarded as best film of the year, and even if you disagree with them it's gotta be worth a watch since someone put their neck on the line to rate this movie.

5. Let them come. We have a cause, they'll be hurdles. At least we're trying.

6. We start with the small developers, the ones that need the help. If they get it included the big guys will look around and ask why they aren't getting it. We plan on building a community of gamers that will write e-mails and articles about how this is important to them, and that they regard the seal a important.

7. I've thought it through plenty. I know there's a chance it might fail, but i'm willing to try. The industry is hurting and I'd rather put my neck out there and give it a chance than me pessimistic and accept it is the way it is, insulting and condescending those who actually want to make a difference. Keep your money.

1. So their opinions don't count? I'm just saying, its hard to draw the line of where someones opinion becomes stupid, where it should be ignored. Also, if there are too many people like that, it will become hard to sift through the garbage to get to the real opinions. Are you going to ban those people whos opinions you deem not worth listening to?

2. I don't think a Gamers Seal of Approval would entice them anymore than a 90% Editors Choice Award from Randomwebsite.com

Then theres the problem I identified before, where Capcom had huge support from IGN yet didn't use it on their packaging. Surely if it makes a difference they would have including that stuff? I don't see how this seal is any different.

3. Yes, reviewers are all the same. So a 90% from IGN is the same as a 90% from Gamespot. But does that not mean your seal will have the same pull level too? Only difference being your selection process, which Average Joe on the highstreet has no idea about. I don't think the title "Gamers Seal Of Approval" would encourage someone to buy it anymore than a review score. Perhaps this should be tested, on parents and aunts/uncles and so on.

4. How is a "Best Film" Oscar the same as this? The Oscar has a completely different selection process and is awarded once a year. Are you only going to give your Seal of Approval once a year?

5. ......

6. The review scores for the little guys is the same for the big guys, I don't see what difference this makes. Why wouldn't publishers include that on their box instead? Surely a small time game getting a score equal to Zelda would encourage people to buy it more than this?

7. I just really do not see how this will work.

And I didn't mean to insult you, I was just debating things on a forum, isn't that what it's for? The paypal thing was supposed to be a bit of a light hearted joke after a quite long, serious post, but it seems it didn't come out that way.

1. So their opinions don't count? I'm just saying, its hard to draw the line of where someones opinion becomes stupid, where it should be ignored. Also, if there are too many people like that, it will become hard to sift through the garbage to get to the real opinions. Are you going to ban those people whos opinions you deem not worth listening to?

2. I don't think a Gamers Seal of Approval would entice them anymore than a 90% Editors Choice Award from Randomwebsite.com

Then theres the problem I identified before, where Capcom had huge support from IGN yet didn't use it on their packaging. Surely if it makes a difference they would have including that stuff? I don't see how this seal is any different.

3. Yes, reviewers are all the same. So a 90% from IGN is the same as a 90% from Gamespot. But does that not mean your seal will have the same pull level too? Only difference being your selection process, which Average Joe on the highstreet has no idea about. I don't think the title "Gamers Seal Of Approval" would encourage someone to buy it anymore than a review score. Perhaps this should be tested, on parents and aunts/uncles and so on.

4. How is a "Best Film" Oscar the same as this? The Oscar has a completely different selection process and is awarded once a year. Are you only going to give your Seal of Approval once a year?

5. ......

6. The review scores for the little guys is the same for the big guys, I don't see what difference this makes. Why wouldn't publishers include that on their box instead? Surely a small time game getting a score equal to Zelda would encourage people to buy it more than this?

7. I just really do not see how this will work.

And I didn't mean to insult you, I was just debating things on a forum, isn't that what it's for? The paypal thing was supposed to be a bit of a light hearted joke after a quite long, serious post, but it seems it didn't come out that way.

1. Opinions are counted when they are backed up by reasoned argument and debate.

2.IGN is one person reviewing a game, this is a community. That's the pull.

3. I think it will have more pull, and there will be testing. The name is temporary, and that'll be discussed. It will be made to highlight simplicity and mandate.

4. .... I thought it was a good comparison. If you don't think so you haven't got the right idea from this.

5. ,,,

6. I don't quite get this point. We're trying to reward risk and originality.

7. Sorry, I thought you were being snide. Never mind. Look, I've thought this through, and so have others. We have a team going now, and we all know there is a risk, but we have nothing to lose and we want to try.

The other point is not just trying to increase sales, but showing developers we respect their games even if they don't sell.

I'm too tired to go through everything right now so I won't bother.

All I will say is; good luck with your endevours, but I personally think it is a bit of a waste of time on your part. Prove me wrong.

I'm too tired to go through everything right now so I won't bother.

All I will say is; good luck with your endevours, but I personally think it is a bit of a waste of time on your part. Prove me wrong.

Why can I not get the image of Boris Johnson saying this out of my head?! :heh:

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!