N-Europe

Can you make sense of this?

Shotgun2k

Hello,

Yesterday I opened up my PC to add a harddrive. Upon taking a look at my PC, I realised that the fan on my graphics card wasn't spinning. I took the card out, reconnected the fan, and it was spinning fine, only I'd forgotten to connect the 4-pin molex connector. Now for some reason, despite working before, when I connect the molex connector (which goes directly into the graphics card), the PC doesn't boot up - everything spins for about a half second and stops.

I've taken pretty much all components out, swapping different bits around, even taking the fan off my graphics card etc, yet the simple rule is that the PC will boot up fine as long as that 4-pin connector ISN'T in the card.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening? Also, how necessary is that extra power connector?

Specs:

AMD Athlon XP 3200

ABIT NF7 NForce2 mobo

2 x 512 DDR400 RAM

Galaxy Glacier Geforce 6800

Enermax 350W (i think, or might be 480W) power supply

ta

I don't mean to jump to conclusions here, but that's the same thing that happened to me when my motherboard got fried. The reason was due to my motherboard touching the inside of the case. It was a real pain in the arse.

I'm not saying that this could be the issue with your comp however. It's also best to be sure on what wattage the power supply is, that might have something to do with it.

Hello,

Yesterday I opened up my PC to add a harddrive. Upon taking a look at my PC, I realised that the fan on my graphics card wasn't spinning. I took the card out, reconnected the fan, and it was spinning fine, only I'd forgotten to connect the 4-pin molex connector. Now for some reason, despite working before, when I connect the molex connector (which goes directly into the graphics card), the PC doesn't boot up - everything spins for about a half second and stops.

Question:

Did you use a static strap?

I've taken pretty much all components out, swapping different bits around, even taking the fan off my graphics card etc, yet the simple rule is that the PC will boot up fine as long as that 4-pin connector ISN'T in the card.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening? Also, how necessary is that extra power connector?

Generally speaking, very neccesary.

It needs the power to run. (even more so on higher-spec cards)

You'll trash the card if it overheats with no fannage.

Specs:

AMD Athlon XP 3200

ABIT NF7 NForce2 mobo

2 x 512 DDR400 RAM

Galaxy Glacier Geforce 6800

Enermax 350W (i think, or might be 480W) power supply

ta

A 350W may be pushing it a little... 480w would probably be okay, unless you were straining it a lot, or overclocking it to hell.

I took the card out, reconnected the fan, and it was spinning fine, only I'd forgotten to connect the 4-pin molex connector. Now for some reason, despite working before, when I connect the molex connector (which goes directly into the graphics card), the PC doesn't boot up - everything spins for about a half second and stops.

A 4-pin molex connector plugs directly in to the graphics card? Are you talking maybe about those small 4 pin connectors that things such as floppies use? Because that sounds more reasonable.

If you are, then I would bet that you plugged it in possible the wrong way (ie turn it around 180 degrees). Connecting one of these the wrong way shorts out the whole thing which might explain the problem you're having.

Well he said plug dircetly into the graphic card..and i guess i didn't read the rest clearly or whatever.

I thought he was referring to something like this:

MSI_Geminium-Go.jpg

Where the fan is plugged in, but i guess thats not even 4 pin so whateva, proceed.

Isn't the seperate power supply a six pin though? Such as this:

trio659.jpg

Cheers for responses so far - much appreciated guys.

Coolfunk: Not sure how that would mean the mobo is fried - everything works and spins through it, only not when the extra connector is in the graphics card.

Raining: I don't use a de-static strap...I only do the 'touch something metal' ritual. The molex connector isn't used to power the fan - the fan runs fine. I imagine that the molex connector allows extra power to the card when it's put under stress. Also, it is an Enermax 480W PSU, and has powered everything without any problems for years on this setup.

Marshmellow: This is the card...

4.jpg

It's that 4-pin socket just under the fan that I'm talking about, and I am definitely connecting it properly.

It seems that (for some reason now, and not before) the gfx card can't regulate/distribute the extra surge in power..?

Are you sure its the same one you had in originally? It might need a special molex connecter...

I doubt the 10W increase from a hard drive is the difference between what you were using and the peak.

I've tried all available molex connectors and all produce the same result - I used to be able to use any of them. And yes, it wouldn't be down to the extra power from the harddrive.

I have however opened the card up by taking the fan off the circuitboard to re-sit the wire, and now the fan works fine...just I think I've upset something and now the card doesn't like the molex power source.

To add, I think I remember reading somewhere that the mobo provides 45w or something, which the card happily runs on until it needs power to generate 3D graphics in which case the power from the 4pin molex connector comes into play.

You've fried the connector somehow, simple as.

Solution? New graphics card.

Aren't they a certain shape to prevent that exact problem from happening?

Like so:

plug-1.jpg

Wrong type of connector, this thing is old school. It uses the long, flat 4-pin Molex power connectors

tutorial-4pin_molex_power_conn.jpg