NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Konfucius

Iwata talks about Mii licensing

Over on Kotaku is quote of Iwata, talking about the reason why the Mii system is almost exclusive to first party titles:

To Nintendo, licensing Mii is identical to licensing Mario. If you read Iwata Asks interview series in website, you can understand how Mii was created in detail, so I hope you can read them if you have time. Mii is actually the result of more than 10 years of efforts.

Mr. Miyamoto, the inventor of Mii, himself has been saying that, 'In a sense, licensing Mii is same as licensing Mario — Nintendo should grant the license when we can conclude that the proposed project is worthwhile. Should we allow any and all the licensees to use Mii license for whichever projects, Mii's brand image will be hurt. Because we are not granting Mario license to any and all, we should not do so with Mii either.'

This is the current policy of Nintendo. So, at the software development stage, we are consulting with the developers as to how they would like to make use of Mii, and our Licensing Department handles on a case-by-case basis.

Ok, I was wondering about the reason for this for quite some time now; but it never crossed my mind they'd compare it to Mario.

10 years for Miis? Yeah right :indeed:

Still I think they should rethink their stance because in essence unlike Mario the Mii is an individual character created by the player, Nintendo only provides the means to do so. Therefore the player should be allowed to use it in whichever game he wants.

Yeah 10 years is about right, Miyamoto has been trying to find a way to shoehorn in something like Mii's since the N64 days, based on what I read on the Iwata Asks interviews.

Yeah 10 years is about right, Miyamoto has been trying to find a way to shoehorn in something like Mii's since the N64 days, based on what I read on the Iwata Asks interviews.

Yea. Stage Debut was shown 5 years ago with what is very likely to be an old iteration of the Miis. And the GameCube demo was clearly running on an Nintendo 64 engine, so they had clearly spent a good while tinkering with the concept.

Yep, that would be about the time the Gameboy Camera came out I think. I remember getting well excited about putting people's faces into Perfect Dark.

Yep, that would be about the time the Gameboy Camera came out I think. I remember getting well excited about putting people's faces into Perfect Dark.

Geez i remember the let down of this idea not happening. Such a shame really.

Yeah America Flipped about shooting your mates...sigh.

I quite liked the DS version of Mii's. Would have been cool. It's probably going to be a standard thing in Nintendo consoles now.

Yeah America Flipped about shooting your mates...sigh.

I quite liked the DS version of Mii's. Would have been cool. It's probably going to be a standard thing in Nintendo consoles now.

DS-X in E3. Believe.

Sign in to follow this