NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Retro_Link

Iwata Talks Wii Memory Issue

http://www.cubed3.com/news/9941

"Statistically speaking, it is true that there are a small number of customers who feel that the flash memory is too small, while many others find that they have plenty of memory. However, because this small number of people are none other than the most avid players, we know we have to review the best possible solution to eliminate their inconvenience."

Satoru Iwata - Nintendo President

A small number of customers?

I think there are alot more people than they think wanting a memory solution!

Especially with Wii-ware on the way!

Anyways with Nintendo publically acknowledging this, I think we'll see something at E3!

Yeah, saying that its only a small number is a bit of an understatement... though I suppose the "core" gamers are vastly in the minority on the Wii. We need some kind of solution, so atleast if he is willing to acknowledge the situation and comment on it like this for once, then it could mean something more will be said and shown at E3.

I think he mean "small number" relatively speaking. When he says "however, because this small number of people are none other than the most avid players", this is made clear. The Wii sells a lot because everyone buys it. So, the real players are a small percentage of the people who buy Wii. Average Joe Blow who bought Wii to play Wii Sports and Wii Play probably doesn't give two shits about memory. Probably doesn't even know what it is.

Probably doesn't even know how much is in it or bothers downloading games/channels.

This is amazing news, a lovely small white heard drive now please where we can play directly off it!! Aweosme if true. And tell Rock Band so we can have DLC!

Yer it does seem like we might finally hear something about extra memory for the wii. It has not yet been a problem for me but like mentioned above. With WiiWare round the corner the memory will soon go...

At least its an issue they are finally addressing.

Telltale Games, XGen Studios, Steel Penny Games, all studios I have spoken to, all think that the Wii memory is sufficient, and the smaller amount of space only limits them to sticking the best possible content in a game, not loads of pointless crappy extras.

How can it be sufficient? I agree it forces developers to create better content, but that content will flop,sales will be hindered and be shunned due to those limitations, so after a while, people won't be able to download the titles and devs will get little profit and maybe not bother develloping anything.

Let's not judge until May 20th. :) Though I will have to wipe my Virtual Console games...

I have to wipe mine aswell. Only completed about 3 of them... Out of 12 and I can't be bothered replaying them to catch up to where I left off. Might delete some channels aswell. I'm almost at the souble digits.

A small number of customers?

I think there are alot more people than they think wanting a memory solution!

Especially with Wii-ware on the way!

Anyways with Nintendo publically acknowledging this, I think we'll see something at E3!

it IS a small number though..Personally I haven't had much memory problems.

we Core gamers are in a severe minority compared to the casual and the causal doesnt even know how to download and vc game not to mention hearing of a wii-ware game..

That being said I'm sure something will be shown at e3 to counter this especially since they said this. A harddrive? Well I'd like to think so but well.......I just can't picture nintendo releasing something like this but it probably is.:)

This is amazing news, a lovely small white heard drive now please where we can play directly off it!! Aweosme if true. And tell Rock Band so we can have DLC!

All they need to do is just let us save things to the SD card, slam in a 8GB one and you're rocking! This could be done via a Wii System update, problem solved.

It's about time they got their heads out of their asses about this issue. Hopefully we get some good news soon.

If Nintendo truly wants to see the amount of people who want a space solution (HDD) then they can use that useless Everyone Votes Channel to ask us. I know I want a HDD.

At least he admits they have to solve it. I'm in no hurry, I got plenty of space, but still... hurry up.

Whatever happened to the SD cards? I have a 1GB one and I've still got plenty of room.

What would prove the best option for data speed? Obviously for size, HDD would be prefered, but is HDD significantly faster/slower than SD cards?

Its not that SD cards are slow, its just the data transfer bus in the Wii is incredibly slow for seemingly no reason.

All they need to do is just let us save things to the SD card, slam in a 8GB one and you're rocking! This could be done via a Wii System update, problem solved.

This should have been done already while the Wii was still in development.

Also I don't really see the problem why you can't plug an external harddrive into one of the USB ports and you're good to go but I guess Nintendo won't be able to sell their official Nintendo harddrive which costs 10€ per GB then.

Its not that SD cards are slow, its just the data transfer bus in the Wii is incredibly slow for seemingly no reason.

Why do people say this? I transfer my saves from the SD->Wii vice-versa instantaneously, same with smash screenshots and Exicte Truck and Endless Ocean play the music in the SD with no problem at all. And since there is not legit 100% hardware data sheet I don't get it.

Why do people say this? I transfer my saves from the SD->Wii vice-versa instantaneously, same with smash screenshots and Exicte Truck and Endless Ocean play the music in the SD with no problem at all. And since there is not legit 100% hardware data sheet I don't get it.

Theres a reason for that.

Game saves are probably around 500kb, mp3's again hit 7mb tops. Which is why they are so fast.

Game downloads are 20-50mb. You try copying an N64 game from an SD card to a Wii and visa-versa. It takes around 5 minutes!

Game saves are probably around 500kb, mp3's again hit 7mb tops. Which is why they are so fast.

Game downloads are 20-50mb. You try copying an N64 game from an SD card to a Wii and visa-versa. It takes around 5 minutes!

Ah makes sense never tried to put an N64 game in a SD card, I forgot you could do that lol I'd like to know the reason for this but Nintendo doesn't want us to know that the Wii is running on Pikmin.

Still that's not a massive problem is it?

Sign in to follow this