NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dan_Dare

Ikaruga: A thread for masochists.

Anyone else hooked? I've got up to 78 chains on the first level now. that's unbroken start to finish but with gaps here and there to avoid cock ups/ I wasn't fast enough.

Level 2 is proceeding nicely, I have the patterns down and just need to improve my chains and reflexes.

I know there's a general arcade thread, but Ikaruga is the best game on the service to date and arguably one of the best games on 360 as a whole. it deserves a thread to itself I reckon :)

I've got this on Cube, you reckon it's worth getting for the online Co-op?

Anyone up for some online pwnage?

I reckon it's worth it. more than the coop, you get a proper online leaderboard with bells on that lets you download replays of the top 100 runs. Pretty sexy stuff. you can record your own runs to the hdd, too. but not to public download unless you're in the top 100 :(

i'd be up for a game if you get it.

go the leader boards and download a replay from runs around the 100 mark. they're good, but not too flashy so you'll see how to develop your runs to follow suit.

and practice lots.

go the leader boards and download a replay from runs around the 100 mark. they're good, but not too flashy so you'll see how to develop your runs to follow suit.

and practice lots.

Will do. Didn't realise you could download runs.:smile:

Short and sweet game this. Immensely satisfying to!

it is, rather. the sound of the explosions on double damage + the 'maxchain.maxchain.maxchain' voice sample is sweeeet

note: to me, the robot 'maxchain!' thing sounds a bit like 'wanker!' This game hates people, clearly.

I have this on 'cube, and have played it for quite some time.

Have yet to see the fourth stage. Go figure. :wink: For masochists indeed!

But it's so addictive! A premier shooter that really ages graciously. To say that this game is already seven years old. Now that's an eternity in videogametime!

All this positive feedback, I was interested in the GC one years ago, but the price tag was a bit too hefty for its description. I think I have to pick this up.

Is it... frustrating? People say it's hard, they say it kicks your ass, they say you may never see the last level, but they never complain that it's driving them mental or causing broken pads. I don't want another game that just pisses me off (hello, N+)

no, it's not annoying. At least not for me, anyway. I've always seen it as more of a puzzle game than a straight up shump so for me, each wave that kicks me in the teeth one day is just a challenge to be beaten another, and that's so satisfying when it comes around.

I've got the A rank achievement for the first stage, for anyone wondering, you need about 50 chain before the boss and a time remaining of 65 - 70 seconds remaining on the clock after the boss fight... afaik

I attempted the second level A rank achievement, made some progress but meh it takes a lot of practice. :heh:

Ah hell I just watched the replay of the person in 100 place doing the 2nd level, that's mental, he got a 140 chain combo, S ranking... and he's only in 100th place....

Well I've got it, and it's fun, but I don't think I'll ever be scoring anything on those lines :heh:

It's a bit mental, yeah. Not completely though- that guy in 100th is the shit but you *can* follow what he does if you know the level yourself quite well. Thusly, it's not that hard to start copying his technique.

the guy in first though. I swear he's actually a Jedi.

Hate to sound like complete n00b but how do you increase your chain?

Hit three enemies of the same colour in a row, then repeat, don't mix colours at any point. for example WWW,BBB,WWW,WWW,BBB,BBB,WWW is fine but WWW,BBB,WWB will break your chain.

This game is hard.

God damn that sounds tricky, I still haven't reached the end yet, I need more continues!

Hm.

Me and Dom played online last night... lag fest.

I have the dreamcast version, and I must say, Ive never had my ass handed to me so completely.

I can get past the first stage, but I fail at the second x.x

Sign in to follow this