N-Europe

FT Student. 2 Jobs. Tax question.

Sooj

Full time student I am currently with 1 job. Its "occasional work" meaning that I only work when I want to/when there is work available - freelance so to speak. I'm a student so I don't get taxed at all unless I earn over a certain amount per month (think its £500).

Now if I was to get a proper part time job while keeping my current freelance job would the government start taxing me or would I be ok and only be taxed if I earn over an 'X' amount?

I'm going to contact the tax office but knowing them it might take weeks to get a response :P

Over a tax year, you pay tax on any money you earn over the level stated in your tax code. They make it "blah blah" a month to spread it out so you dont end up paying it all in one bit. Now if you get an extra job, those payslips need to be added together and to be frank, you're most likely to get overcharged and they will tell you to claim it back at the end of the year.

your best bet is to phone the tax office, they'll give advice. If both jobs are PAYE, then everything should be sorted out for you.

My understanding is that students DO NOT pay tax, however, please, please find out yourself.

I had a part time job while at college, told the tax office and they didn't seem to give a monkeys and carried on taxing me, even though it was something like £15 out of my wages which wasn't a lot.

They didn't even give a monkeys when i was emergency tax and i sent them countless forms to stop the emergency tax including the P46. They taxed me nearly 2k before stopping and putting me on the normal tax code.

I had a part time job while at college, told the tax office and they didn't seem to give a monkeys and carried on taxing me, even though it was something like £15 out of my wages which wasn't a lot.

They didn't even give a monkeys when i was emergency tax and i sent them countless forms to stop the emergency tax including the P46. They taxed me nearly 2k before stopping and putting me on the normal tax code.

Thats actually more likely to be your employers fault not the tax office.

Oh and yes, students do get taxed on their income but not on their interest in their bank.

They would only tax you if your employer and yourself do not sort it out before your first wage. If not you will be put on emergency tax.

However you can claim it back by filling in correct forms/contacting the tax office. Best to pay them a visit if you have an office near you.