NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
nightwolf

Portfolio?

Well I finally got my stuff from sheffield hallam about my interview, except they want a portfolio...now I had a hunch that this was going to happen...but my course that I'm doing isn't very well...nice.

I have so far:

A fruit machine game I made with mario on it

A keep fit website (connected to a gym) which is very basic...

that's it! Everything else is very un-interesting or non-exsistant...I'm not even sure how much I'm supposed to take! I'm very confused =[ all my other work is just essays and nothing worth that I could take on a design course to show the tutors. :(

Any advice?!

At an extreme you could make something specifically for it. Something that'll impress whoevers looking at the 'folio.

What's the course sorry......as I haven't been keeping up with that Uni thread recently? Always tailor your portfolio to what suits the course and the sort of work you would be doing on it.

I've got until the 6th march and a ton of work to be getting on with really..but I suppose I could touch up on the website I have already made, so that makes two things.

even though it's been two years I'm going to ring the high school on tuesday to see if by any chance they have kept any of my art work...other than that I'll contact my tutor on monday and see what else I can do.

I'm thinking because it's games that the more progamming I get into it the better, but it's getting it done within a week!

It's game design - they suggest:

Websites

animation

games

photos

etc.

The portfolio doesn't necessarily just need finished products. Rough work can be fine so long as it serves a purpose in the folio - i.e. you can talk about it, about whatever programs/code you used - the learning experience/the way you taught yourself/etc.

Don't freak out about it too much. Do you have any idea how many people apply for the course? If there's a lot then this is a weeding process -- as in, weeding out those who literally have nothing to show, or those who cannot be arsed to put a 'folio together. They probably just want to see that you know what you're talking about, about what you're letting yourself in for -- that they will get a student who will actually be able to learn :)

Good luck!

Well when somebody tells you that they need more than two pieces you starting to freak out

I've got a week to try and complie sketches/photographys of anything I can find!

I don't even know where to fucking start

I would have suggested graphical stuff. Games design is more the visual side is it not?

You're just gonna have to sit down and get it done.

I'm not really sure on what your course is about (because Games Design courses seem to vary quite a lot from uni to uni). But, if you have the two pieces you already said, plus a couple of sketches, and then a few graphical brain storms (game ideas), and being to talk about it all. Then.. I'm sure that'd be pretty sorted.

Not sure what exactly you have to show, but make sure that what you have is relevant to the course. You can add in some extra sketches, drawings, ideas. But just make sure that you show you're enthusiastic about the course and really want to do it. And know what you're talking about during the interview. =3

hmm well now I have a ton of ideas..

currently I'm going to take some photography about the transgression of music...from live bands - vinyls - tapes - cd's - ipods..

with that I'm going to design a vinyl cover so that I can show graphic work along with plans for it to show sketches.

If I have time which I should have more than enough I'm touching up on my keep fit factory website as it also connects to a database.

Then also japanese kimono patterns, I did a piece at gcse art of an a3 that looked like a japanese material except it was made out of card and paint...easy enough but this time I'll do it out of pencil and chalk if I can.

^.^ Should be enough work I reckon.

If anyone could send images of vinyls or of them playing live that would be fantastic!

EDIT: eenuh the course if games design with photography/animation/film effects, so anything creative is worth having ^.^

If anyone could send images of vinyls or of them playing live that would be fantastic!

I have a load of photos (somewhere) of my friends' band, as I used to take photos for them often. Any good to you?

Sign in to follow this