N-Europe

*insert joke about another custom PC thread*

Wesley

Okay, so I'm going to custom build a desktop PC to take with me to university. At uni I'll be on a computer animation course, so it will be computer intensive and in need of quite a decent PC. I'm also on the PC a lot and sometimes dabble in the gaming.

This is the requirements of the program that I'll be using mostly.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=5659453

Any advice or help would be much appreciated.

I'm wanting to create a product list, including price, that I'll save towards and purchase. Though, after I save the money and buy I'll revise the list again and see if anything can be changed to newer/now cheaper parts that would better suit. For this reason, I don't need any "Wait 3 months for this." etc.

Thanks!

Honestly, I don't see what could go wrong here. Almost any recent computer meets the qualifications if you ask me.

Sad that they don't make this for mac - they all know that macs are the platform creatives prefer. But hey, what the hell.

Here's another joke about these threads: at least Apple users don't need to look at it, they just look at the age of their mac. Hey wait, that isn't funny at all! I suck at this.

That's hard to say, with intel's 80-core being thrown in the market somewhere in four years (if everything runs according to plan) and with the accelaration of development and batteries, I don't see it lasting.

If it weren't for the Windows only restriction, I'de say get a mac. They're pretty future-proof and work good stuff. And at least people don't want to downgride to XP. Sorry, not trying to start the discussion again :wink:.

However, what I mean to say is that you can't be sure your PC will last four years, the only company giving you guarantee for top of the line is Apple, with a two-year spread of products.

Animation and design programs tend to be quad core optimised and chew through loads of RAM.

Try something like this:

Processor: Intel Core2Quad Q6600 - £160

Motherboard: Abit IP-35 - £80

Graphics Card: ATi 3650 - £60

RAM: 4GB Corsair DDR2-800 (Get 2 2GB modules, then you can upgrade to 8GB if you need it) - £70

DVD: Samsung SATA DVD-RW - £18

Hard Drive: 500GB Western Digital AAKS - £60

PSU: Corsair HX-520 - £65

Case: Personal preference, but say another £60.

Comes out at around £600. Those prices are pretty rough though and i know some parts can be had cheaper.

Gaming-wise the 3650 isn't bad, but you might consider something with a bit more power. The 3850 comes in at around £100, the 3870 at around £130 and the Nvidia 8800GT at about £180. Which one you get depends how much PC gaming you do and how much you are willing to spend.

However, what I mean to say is that you can't be sure your PC will last four years, the only company giving you guarantee for top of the

line is Apple, with a two-year spread of products.

Sorry, what? Why? WTH? etc.

They use the same hardware and the software has the same system requirements. Why would PCs become obsolete faster than Macs?

The only area i can think of where a PC is no longer good after 2 years is in extreme gaming. But in that market Macs are obsolete before they even make it off the production line, so i really don't get you're point?

Sorry, what? Why? WTH? etc.

They use the same hardware and the software has the same system requirements. Why would PCs become obsolete faster than Macs?

The only area i can think of where a PC is no longer good after 2 years is in extreme gaming. But in that market Macs are obsolete before they even make it off the production line, so i really don't get you're point?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying macs are top of the line anymore after those two years, but Apple does hardware revisions every two years (well, sort-of two years) so that means your hardware won't be replaced with newer untill after those two years. That's all I'm saying. It lasts for two years without seeing better iMac models (except for the ones already avaible, off course).

What's up with everyone missing my points today? It's like throwing a stick and being smashed in the face again. Did that last thing even make sense? I don't know, I'm off playing with my friend who I imagen because he's the only one listening when nobody else is around.

Apples 2 year update cycle is mostly just the form factor, hardware is updated every couple of months, half year at least.

Right now your point is "apple won't make your computer look inferior for 2 years" while a pc would look inferior every new hardware revision. If you can get over that then there's no problem.

Apples 2 year update cycle is mostly just the form factor, hardware is updated every couple of months, half year at least.

Right now your point is "apple won't make your computer look inferior for 2 years" while a pc would look inferior every new hardware revision. If you can get over that then there's no problem.

Ow for god's sake.