NEurope
Tellyn

Q&A: Luc Bernard, Eternity's Child

Last year, the artist Luc Bernard announced that his cancelled Xbox Live Arcade project, Eternity's Child, had found a new home on the Wii and DS. The game is a platformer which touches upon subjects such as pollution, global warming and racism, yet cleverly disguised as a unique cartoon-like game with a beautiful style. Today, it was announced that Eternity's Child had been moved to WiiWare, slated for a release in Q2 2008 for 500 Wii Points.

Dean "Cube" Jones speaks to the angelic artist about Luc Bernard's upcoming game, his inspirations and future plans.

Dean Jones: How did you get into the video game industry?

Luc Bernard: Well I don't really consider myself part of any industry, I really always dreamed of making films but instead of going into a industry where there is already too many people I decided to bring my stories into videogames instead.

DJ: What are the main influences for your stories and artwork?

LB: Most of my stories are inspired by my life, since I don't like people to know me the only way for me to express myself is telling stories about fictional characters that resemble me, I'm also highly inspired by women and the beauty that they bring to this planet.

DJ: Could you briefly explain Eternity's Child for our readers?

LB: Eternity's Child tells the story of a young orphan who had his wings cut off to prevent him from being murdered like the rest of his kind, in the game you are basically searching for the rest of his kind for which he hopes to be accepted by them, the game is 2D for the reason I wanted it to be a living painting, I just wanted it to be art rather than a game.

DJ: Are certain events in the story purposely similar to certain religious and current events (for example, pollution causing a Noah's Ark-style flooding)?

LB: Oh no, not religious. I'm not religious at all, the pollution and the flooding is just what is going to happen to us because of global warming.

DJ: Has the change to Wii made any differences to the gameplay?

LB: Not really, since Eternity’s Child is a 2D game the controls will be traditional.

DJ: So, a sideways Wii Remote using the D-Pad, 1 and 2 buttons?

LB: Many different controls schemes will be available such as controlling the character with the [Nunchuck’s] analogue stick.

DJ: Will any control schemes use the motion sensing capabilities of the Wii Remote?

LB: Probably. [He winks]

4.jpg

DJ: How long do you expect the game to be?

LB: I would say around 20 hours of gameplay.

DJ: Will there be any hidden items or unlockables to add to the replay value, or any multiplayer modes?

LB: There is a 2 player co-operative mode and there will be unlockables of course.

DJ: Will the co-operative mode involve split screen or both characters moving in the same area?

LB: On the same screen.

DJ: Is there any expected release date for Eternity's Child?

LB: When it's finished.

DJ: You've mentioned a DS Eternity's Child, a full 3D game. Why did you decide on using 3D for the DS game?

LB: Because there are already too many 2D games on DS, so why not try doing a 3D one?

DJ: Will this also be a traditional platform game?

LB: I would say a mix of platform and adventure.

DJ: How does it utilise the two screens or the touch screen?

LB: The gameplay will be only on one screen and I've decided to only use the touch screen for the puzzle parts.

DJ: Will there be any WiFi (Local or Online) features or connectivity to the Wii game?

LB: Well I would like to make it WiFi I must admit both versions I would like to make WiFi but I will have to see with my publisher.

2.jpg

DJ: How does your publisher help (or interfere) with the development of your games?

LB: Well, my publisher is helping with the development of the Wii and DS versions of Eternity's Child.

DJ: What is the goal that the player will try to achieve?

LB: It’s more like what the characters will try to achieve, and that is being accepted and trying to trust other people.

DJ: Will this be a straight, level-based adventure, or a free-roaming adventure? And will performing good/evil actions alter the progress through the game?

LB: Free roaming, the story is set so nothing will alter the game progress, I'm not so much into innovative gameplay, I'm more of a story teller than anything else.

DJ: How will the stories be told in your games?

LB: Through cutscenes. [Laughs]

DJ: Do you think games with artistic graphical styles will stand the test of time better than those which attempt realism?

LB: Yes. I hate everything that is real, I find the real world to be quite boring and depressing.

DJ: It's all brown and grey these days. I've heard many people compliment the artistic style of Eternity's Child. Is it difficult to make something so colourful, but not confusing?

LB: I don't think it's colourful enough to be honest, I could spend hours just looking at shiny things and neon lights.

DJ: Do you have any more ideas on the drawing board?

LB: I have too many ideas that it could drive me insane, but I've got to get The Rose Princess and Eternity's Child finished before I start getting the other ones done, but I plan to create 3 new franchises minimum every year.

DJ: Thanks for the interview. Just one final question: Asparagus or rhubarb?

LB: Vodka! [Laughs]

We would once again like to thank Luc Bernard for taking part in an interview with us, and we look forward to playing Eternity's Child and all of Luc's future projects!

http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=11469

Make sure you Digg it too!

Nice interview there. This is a WiiWare title i'm likely to download. The art style looks great, sounds it could be fun and it's at a cheap price.

Ha, dude sounds like a freaking nutter. Exactly the kind of guy I want making my games infact. Anyway 20 hours for 500 points is a bargain so i'll keep an eye on this one. Thanks to cube for the good work.

500 Wii points just sounds so cheap! Clearly this sort of thing is worth more than NES games. I mean it's new, fresh and original rather than just a 20 year old game.

I think it sounds & looks pretty poor tbh. A platformer that has story telling bits through cutscenes. Sceptical.

The guy sounds a bit freaky and cut-your-wrists like. I'm not trusting him to be a very good games maker and it seems he doesnt really know what's going on.

Think this looks really good. Obviously the cutscenes idea is a bit meh but who cares? Never hurt Mario did it?

I think this looks pretty interesting and if the playtime really is that high and it stays fun for that long it's a steal for 500 points.