NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ashley

Wireless Routering

Can't be bothered to explain the backstory but trying to set up a wireless network. Its working on the main pc which has the router plugged in but not on others. The other pc is brand new but im presuming its just because there is no wireless adaptor thingy.

If im right where can I buy one from for cheap (and preferably quickly because my brother has that special kind of patience that is not) and anything in particular I should look for.

The router is a Netgear 54 Mbps Wireless ADSL Firewall Router DG834G.

Thanks guys.

Ended up buying a Belkin one from PC world for £20. Told you he was impatient, had to leave soon after posting. Spent about forty minutes trying to set it up. Oddest thing is I downloaded an installer and put it on my Zen Micro (no blank CDs at hand) and took it upstairs and plugged it in. Clicked the installer (but didnt start installing it) and then it suddenly started. Bloody things.

Thanks though.

People warned me about wirless routers. Woke up this morning and it wasnt working. The "2" (where the pc is plugged into) was flashing so I just disconnected it and connected the old modem. Stupid things.

Tried to set it up and on the non-host (word fails me) computer it says its connected to a Netgear router (wirelessly of course) and that all is dandy, but nothing is loading up. No webpages or anything. Other things that access the internet (eg MSN) says its not connected, but the wirless adaptor thing says we are. Stupid thing.

Have you enabled Internet Connection Sharing?

Control Panel / Network Connections

Right click on your internet connection and click on enable sharing.

Have you enabled Internet Connection Sharing?

Control Panel / Network Connections

Right click on your internet connection and click on enable sharing.

Yup, and still no joy.

They can be tricky but you got to follow the instructions to the T, no shortcuts. I have a wireless network... this is how it goes....

You install the router first.... then install the software and drivers for the wireless PC (make sure all the info is correct/ SSID,passphrase..) Then shutdown PC and install adapter and reboot.

That should work.

*If not, I would check something. You should have a icon in your system tray near the clock relating to the wireless adapter. Double-click that and (site servey.. look for you SSID and connect.

One problem I've noticed.

I have to use a microfliter to connect it all. So I connect the microfilter to the phone line, the phone into the phone socket and then if I:

a) connect the router into the DSL the "ADSL link light" shows up, which apparently it needs to but then the modem isn't connected, thus wont connect to the internet

b) connect the modem I can connect, but then the router won't...route.

So I tried using the two microfilters I have (one with the router, one with the modem) so that I could connect two DSL lines. However whicheven one connects to the microfilter that connects to the phone line is the one that works. So if I connect the router to the first microfilter the router works, and if I connect the modem to the microfilter then that works. They won't both work together.

One problem I've noticed.

I have to use a microfliter to connect it all. So I connect the microfilter to the phone line, the phone into the phone socket and then if I:

a) connect the router into the DSL the "ADSL link light" shows up, which apparently it needs to but then the modem isn't connected, thus wont connect to the internet

b) connect the modem I can connect, but then the router won't...route.

So I tried using the two microfilters I have (one with the router, one with the modem) so that I could connect two DSL lines. However whicheven one connects to the microfilter that connects to the phone line is the one that works. So if I connect the router to the first microfilter the router works, and if I connect the modem to the microfilter then that works. They won't both work together.

Your right Sir. Because two is impossible. ADSL will only work with one ADSL compliance on the line. You can't connect two.

It was working for a few days all fine and dandy, then suddenly stopped yesterday. Wont even let me into the router's admin thing (192.168.0.1) any ideas?

It was working for a few days all fine and dandy, then suddenly stopped yesterday. Wont even let me into the router's admin thing (192.168.0.1) any ideas?

Every router usually has some sort of "reset" to get it back to its default settings. To get access to the admin-function you need to use that.

Well it started working again, could get the internet through the router rather than the modem. Then I tried to set it up in my brothers room and that was fine. Then came back to this PC and nada.

My theory is its because I put the wireless adaptor in this PC (was trying to get MK to work) and that seemed to be picking up the signal. But then, the rj45 is connected and should be sending the signal itself.

Why is it problems always occur just before my day off?

Rather than starting a new thread, I figured I'd hijack this one because it has the same subject... can someone please help me out?

I have 2 computers at the moment, one downstairs and one upstairs.

The upstairs computer is connected via cat-5 to a regular router and then the phoneline (basic 1.5Mb DSL connection). The upstairs phone jack is the only one in the house on that phoneline.

I'd like to connect the downstairs computer to the upstairs computer's internet connection wirelessly. Unfortunately I know nothing about wireless routers or wireless internet, so can someone explain the steps to me? I figure I'll need an ethernet card and a wireless router (duh) for the downstairs computer but what to do with them I have no idea.

Sign in to follow this