NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
CoolFunkMan

Intel's new chips could power the next consoles...

I was reading PC Gamer 184 (Feb 2008) the other day, and I came accross an interesting article. Here's part of it:

"Recent reports have it that Intel are talking to all three console manufacterers about a new chip range. These new toys will do over a billion calculations a second, compared to the paltry 256 million achived by the IBM cell, the chip currently powering the Playstation 3. But why should you care about developments in console-land? Because it's about the games. Intel's proposal could mean the CPU in the PC you're using for games could be almost identical to the technology stuffed inside the consoles that Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft are developing for thier games."

Long story short, it'll mean tht each console and the PC with have the same/almost identical CPU architecture, which means that it'll be much easier to make cross-platform games.

What do you all think of this move? Yay, or nay? Do you think that all the companies will agree to this?

Personally, I think that this is a good move, as porting games would be made much easier. Although, wether each comapny agrees or not is a different matter.

Both parties will right now be heavily engaged in talks with the execs and Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft. And by "heavily engaged" I mean competing desperately for the contract, and by "talks" I mean sucking them off.

I doubt it will happen, there will be new chips out by the time next gen arrives.

Don't want it to happen.

PC games and Console games are totally different to me.

Seeing the same game come out on the DS, PSP, PS3, PS2, Wii, Mobiles and the 360 is bad enough. Making them able to put the game on PC aswell will ruin me and the games market maybe. If the same game is available on PC from day one then people are gonna choose the PC version because it's cheaper etc.

All in all, frankly, I don't care. Let me play games.

If it does happens, the PC gaming industry will bring the console industry down with it. But its way to early for the consoles makers to decide, and unless the all-in-one console mega wonder happens, they'll try to keep their architectures as different as possible from each other.

Even if the somehow manage to interest any of the Big three into using this CPU, don't bank on Nintendo going for exactly the same CPU as Microsoft or Sony as it usually doesn't work like that.

Sign in to follow this