NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Supergrunch

Redwall

Today's xkcd comic reminded me of Redwall, which I used to read a fair bit when I was younger. When you think back to it, it's amazing how similar all the books were, and how any vermin are automatically evil.

redwall.png

I also found a hilarious article on something awful about the series, which had me laughing for ages.

Discuss.

fucks alive, I read a shit load of these!

are they really that contrived? haha. I actually studied children's lit for uni last year (surprisingly complicated and interesting) so I'd like to go back to them in a way, see what I can say about them.

I'll read that article later- looks ace.

I love them, but they got old after "The Long Patrol" - that was the last one he did any experimenting with.

But Redwall, Mattimeo and Mossflower are real classics. Mariel and the Bellmaker too.

I think I read Redwall and Mattimeo, along with some others... I remember alternation between feasting and fighting.

Mm. That was pretty much it, but there were a few clever plot devices. But truth be told, only the first 5 books are worth reading. He wrote his best stories years ago.

I've got a shitload of these books. They're just so sexy. But the formular is practically the same each time, warriors bugger off to do some fighting, other baddies try to storm Redwall, the nice people inside find a couple of riddles to solve to pass the time.

EDIT: Just had a look on Amazon, and the covers they've got on there are shite.

How did I never, ever hear of this series? :blank:

I read Animorphs, Goosebumps and Sonic the Hedgehog books when I was a kid.

I always wanted to read them, but it took me years to remember what they were called. Then I caught part of the Mattimeo cartoon on ... some Satellite Channel a few years back and was hooked.

Loamhedge = Worst Book in Series. A badger Lord with a bow and arrow? What's the point?

Oh man, those books were freaking awesome. I was first introduced to them in an audio tape of the Pearls of Lutra, and was hooked on them for years. Kicked Harry Potter's ass anyway.

Mr bro recently read a non-Redwall book by Brian Jaques, and apparently it was very good. I ought to check it out.

Sign in to follow this