N-Europe

What to do with an ancient pc?

Calza

A while back I was given a old pc that wasn't being used, I accepted thinking I would be able to install Linux on it and mess around with it. The thing was Ubuntu wouldn't install so I pretty much gave up on it. I gave it another shot today and I defragged it and cleaned it up a bit but then I looked at the specs. 400Mhz and 128Mb of ram, which obviously shows the reason why I couldn't install ubuntu but I'm wondering if it would be of any use at all?

It's hard drive is 12Gb while not a lot is more than enough for back-up's of documents so I was thinking I could just hook it up to my router but it does not have a ethernet port, just an RJ45. So now I'm thinking I just need to buy a new network card, install that (if I can) and maybe find a really small Linux distro such as DSL etc.

What do you guys think? Worth it?

All I'm saying is that it is damn hot in here with two pcs and a 360 on. :shakehead

Could I really do that with such a (for lack of a better word) weak machine?

About the network card could I just buy any such as this and it will work as soon as I plug it in?

I was thinking about using it as a server but what actually would that mean I could do with it?

Emasher although definately the easier solution I reckon I can get a bit more out of it than just keeping the hard drive and dumping the rest.

Could I really do that with such a (for lack of a better word) weak machine?

About the network card could I just buy any such as this and it will work as soon as I plug it in?

I was thinking about using it as a server but what actually would that mean I could do with it?

Emasher although definately the easier solution I reckon I can get a bit more out of it than just keeping the hard drive and dumping the rest.

As long as you don't invite too many to use the server's services you'd be alright. You could use it to download stuff for you, set up an FTP server to share your stuff with others, host light games, run websites on it... There's a lot you can do with a server.

You should check if it has the required PCI slots for the network card.As for the OS, I hear good stories about Feather Linux, although I'm a Linux noob.