NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hellfire

FAT32 External HDD and big files... HELP!

So, apparently fat32 doesn't support files bigger than 4GB, which sucks, cause my external HDD is formatted in fat32. I wanted to change it to NTFS to support bigger files, using this command:

X:\> CONVERT X: /fs:ntfs

But can I be sure that it won't ruin any file or erase everything? Or is there a better way?

Thanks

You can't just switch the drive without losing data on it, so no. You can't convert a FAT32 drive without reformatting it, because FAT32 uses an entirely different way of storing files than NTFS.

It's not just a name, you know.

Scratched my post since I think you're referring to individual files. But can't you burn your files to disc/ upload to a web server so you can still convert the drive?

You can't just switch the drive without losing data on it, so no. You can't convert a FAT32 drive without reformatting it, because FAT32 uses an entirely different way of storing files than NTFS.

The command line that Hellfire gives should convert and preserve all files.

To reduce the chance of an error, defragment the drive beforehand.

I'd still recommend backing up all those files in some way if you can anyway, just to be on the safe side.

Backup and format is the only way. See if you can use someone else's external HDD?

The command line that Hellfire gives should convert and preserve all files.

To reduce the chance of an error, defragment the drive beforehand.

That's seems odd. There is a reason why there's a difference, so he'll at least will need to rewrite the data. If it just changes the tag on your hard disk from FAT32 to NTFS, than I don't see why there are different systems at all.

But yes, it's probably possible. Even though I can' write those commans anyway.

Backup and format is the only way.

It really isn't.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307881

That's seems odd. There is a reason why there's a difference, so he'll at least will need to rewrite the data. If it just changes the tag on your hard disk from FAT32 to NTFS, than I don't see why there are different systems at all.

But yes, it's probably possible. Even though I can' write those commans anyway.

The above article says that a certain amount of free space on the disk is needed so I guess convert.exe does it in pieces or something else clever.

Thanks for the help guys. If I can, I'll back up everything, but from what I'm seeing it's not necessary.

Windows can do it :p (sorry, couldn't resist. I had nothing constructive to add cause Odwin got here first...)

Windows can do it :p (sorry, couldn't resist. I had nothing constructive to add cause Odwin got here first...)

So that makes it better? Tsss...

Apparantly, Windows can do it - but it still does it the same way, since it uses a real lot of space, wich to me means he switches to that space and then changes the other part.

Ah well. The admin did it again.

I recently did this with my newly purchased 500 GB My Book

I used the line: CONVERT X: /FS:NTFS /V /X

Worked like a charm.. Though I DID miss one backup of a game afterwards. But of course, it was recoverable so no biggie.

If you do convert it like this. Run a CHKDSK afterwards to be sure. My HD acted real weird the day after, I had duplicates of folders and when I removed the contents in one of them, the other claimed the folder didn't exist and wouldn't remove itself.. All worked out fine after the CHKDSK though ^^,

Thank you very much for the help, didn't have time to do it yet though lol.

Also Gizmo, you made my day better :P

Sign in to follow this