NEurope
triforce_keeper

Zelda 2008

I'm all for a new immersive world. But, all those asking for voice acting should be burnt at the stake. :heh:

It wouldn't be done right, and to be honest, I don't see what greater benefit you would get from voice acting as opposed to having the text on screen. It would probably sound too cheesy, and all that epic feel would be gone in an instant.

There's too many people wanting this to be a 360 game...

Not really, we're just all giving our input into what will think will make the next Zelda a better game in our opinions.

What are we saying that makes you think we want the next Zelda to be a 360 game?

Not talking about this thread specifically, but there's a lot of "more epic", "darker", "voice-acting", "real blood" and the likes, which would make Zelda the next thirteen in a dozen action game. It's exactly what the game doesn't need, it's partly what stopped Twilight Princess from shining.

Yeah, I would love it to be Animal Crossing style alive, as in everyone walking about, giving the game a more community feel. The characters need to get more involved other than in cutscenes. I feel if Ganon wants to take over this time, we should have a full scale Lord of the Rings battle instead of just being told about it, or Princess Zelda surrendering. All guns blazing, with soldiers from both sides clashing on Hyrule Field.

Link is not the same Link in every Zelda game. I dont understand why its so important that he has to fit the same silent, airhead mold in every edition. Give the guy a voice and a personality. If it turns out that bad, they always have a new Link to work with the next time around.

Link is not the same Link in every Zelda game. I dont understand why its so important that he has to fit the same silent, airhead mold in every edition. Give the guy a voice and a personality. If it turns out that bad, they always have a new Link to work with the next time around.

The point of Link is that he is merely an avatar for you; the player.

Although sometimes he does convey his own emotions.

Yeah, I would love it to be Animal Crossing style alive, as in everyone walking about, giving the game a more community feel. The characters need to get more involved other than in cutscenes. I feel if Ganon wants to take over this time, we should have a full scale Lord of the Rings battle instead of just being told about it, or Princess Zelda surrendering. All guns blazing, with soldiers from both sides clashing on Hyrule Field.

Exactly. That was what was so misleading about the first zelda trailer.

Sometimes? All the time! Link doesn't represent me - the player - at all. For example, when he meets Princess Ruto in the Water Temple, he was like :shakehead (since he obviously does not find Ruto attractive) where as I would be like :santa: ...Lets get busy Zora chick (but ofcourse with my iron boots on!).

Point is, Link already displays his own personality. I don't see how a voice would alienate the player so much...But utimately, I am undecided.

I want the game to be epic! As in Shadow of the Colossus epic!

I want the game to be epic! As in Shadow of the Colossus epic!

So you want a huge immersive world, but at the same time, you want a game with only 16 enemies and nothing else.

mmm...

Anyway, I do agree and want more interactive worlds, as long as they don't turn it into an RPG with soulless NPCs. At least TP's Hyrule Town felt alive, even though you could barely interact. I'd also love a real forest, but that's nearly impossible to do, the only convincing forest I've ever seen was in Crysis and that takes strong hardware. What I'd like to see are more seamless transitions, make it feel even more that you're travelling, like going up a mountain. I would also like more wildlife just running around.

Ok... came up with an idea.

Set Link out on a journey (much like 2 of my favourite games: LA and MM) in which he has to get somewhere against all of the odds. Hell, kill Epona in the process if you have to (please watch Never Ending Story for inspiration).

Make Link feel like a real outsider, make him unwelcome. But dont do it in the way that they did with the Gorons in TP please. Turn him into someone who has to really survive the elements and the landscape. I wanna see Link trying not to freeze to death on the side of a mountain! I want to have situations where I actually feel in danger, you know like an adventure game.

MM was great and sinister. How did they do this? By taking away silly recycled bad guys and putting in a disturbing and malicous super moon controlled by someone with the power of a god and the reasoning of a bad tempered child. Sounds like a certain president, no?

Must praise one thing Nintendo have done though. They have started introducing real characters that are there through the game and develop well. For all of its faults, TP gave us Midna who is the best character Nintendo have created in ages. Also PH had some very good characters as well.

So you want a huge immersive world, but at the same time, you want a game with only 16 enemies and nothing else.

mmm...

Those 16 enemies have been described as the game's levels.

Regardless of what you might make of that, Shadow of the Colossus does have a brilliantly epic feel, and a truly emotional conclusion.

mmm...

Well I wasn't refering to the whole 16 enemies thing, but if the bosses were anything like those...

Well I wasn't refering to the whole 16 enemies thing, but if the bosses were anything like those...

Yeah they look incredible.

TP bosses were abit...hmmm. They barely attacked you ever. I want the bosses to be like SoTC's ones or even RE4, where every boss is so good that they good easily be the final boss to most other games.

A next gen zelda is all i want.

QFT. You hit the nail on the head. Link simply isn't a character, he's a vessel.

Whoever said the next game needs to be outside Hyrule, I agree. Zelda is about exploring a new world, what's the point if you know about the locations already? Hyrule needs to be dumped or needs a new interpretation like in Wind Waker. I'm rooting for something as fresh as Termina again, with a just as bizarre mythos and culture.

Those 16 enemies have been described as the game's levels.

Regardless of what you might make of that, Shadow of the Colossus does have a brilliantly epic feel, and a truly emotional conclusion.

Of course it does I love SoTC, it's just that "epicness" can be achieved many different ways. I hate how most people view being epic as an objective for most games, but whatever.

Yeah I understand what you're saying, it's just that comparing bosses in a game with dungeons, lots of enemies, puzzles, etc... are like games where the only thing that exists are bosses isn't exactly a fair comparison.

Set Link out on a journey (much like 2 of my favourite games: LA and MM) in which he has to get somewhere against all of the odds. Hell, kill Epona in the process if you have to (please watch Never Ending Story for inspiration).

Make Link feel like a real outsider, make him unwelcome. But dont do it in the way that they did with the Gorons in TP please. Turn him into someone who has to really survive the elements and the landscape. I wanna see Link trying not to freeze to death on the side of a mountain! I want to have situations where I actually feel in danger, you know like an adventure game.

first of all: OMG! kill epona?!! what the hell are you SAYING man?! i ALWAYS cry when artax kicks the bucket in that bloody film. always. :cry:

secondly of all!! this journeying unwelcome type you speak of... overlord? fable? ico? or how about deus ex or grim fandango? :smile: and you mentioned MM yourself ~ so nintendo have taken the franchise down that route before now... its not like every zelda game has had the same *feel* to it, even if pretty much all of them have had the "rinse and repeat" formula you described earlier. for a very last minute PORT aimed mainly at new gamers i think TP was a good effort, and as much as i think nintendo would be pretty crazy to completely stick to the "zelda game formula" for the next wii-exclusive title, i also think they'd be insane to completely change a game that's worked so well and been SO popular for as long as zelda has.

buut in the end - they make 'em, i sell them - people buy them.

Yeah I understand what you're saying, it's just that comparing bosses in a game with dungeons, lots of enemies, puzzles, etc... are like games where the only thing that exists are bosses isn't exactly a fair comparison.

Yeah, you're right.

*is ashamed*

I guess you couldn't really expect bosses of Shadow's magnitude. Though I wouldn't say it was the bosses the themselves that made them great, more the atmosphere and epicness in fighting them. I think I've grown to dislike large, dumb, stationary Zelda bosses in (relatively) small rooms. The outdoor setting makes the battle feel so much better. I would say most would agree that the best boss in TP was the epic fight with the dragon in the Sky temple.

I guess we should stop with the SoTC talk, as it might be getting a little OT.

This is why i'd like to see him in charge. I want to see a huge battle, i also want to hate the guy. I want to see the suffering he would cause if he defeated Link, because at the moment defeating Ganon is just an objective that signals the end of the game. I don't hate him, I only want him dead so the game is over.

I'd love to see this. Put Link in an actual world for once, rather than one that feels purpose built for his adventure. Make him hurt, and make the player hurt with him!

Imagine heading off for some temple in a snow covered area, fighting off enemy after enemy just to collapse from the cold. You see Link struggle more and more with each minute, each swing of his sword until he has no more to give. Obviously somebody saves him :p

Voice acting is a must for the next Zelda as long as Link keeps his mouth shut like Gordon Freeman

Definitely, i don't need/want to hear Link speak.

its not like every zelda game has had the same *feel* to it, even if pretty much all of them have had the "rinse and repeat" formula you described earlier. for a very last minute PORT aimed mainly at new gamers i think TP was a good effort, and as much as i think nintendo would be pretty crazy to completely stick to the "zelda game formula" for the next wii-exclusive title, i also think they'd be insane to completely change a game that's worked so well and been SO popular for as long as zelda has.

buut in the end - they make 'em, i sell them - people buy them.

Yes every Zelda has a very similar feel and I think McPhee just hit the nail on the head. The world is designed for Links quest and it gets boring really quickly because I roll through the world map going "right, I'll get that weapon later which will get me there" (because Nintendo can only be arsed to make 2 or 3 even vaguely different weapons each iteration). Only Zelda games that have really taken any steps were Lttp and Oot. New weapons, new puzzles every where and a massive leap in terms of what defines the genre.

I for one won't be buying another Zelda game anytime in the next 18 months. PH was really fun but wasnt fresh enough to make me want to play another in the near future.

And Bluey, don't get upset. We all know it's because you haven't completed PH yet! :heh:

PH wasn't fresh? Jesus, what the hell do you guys eat in the morning?

For Zelda to be fresh and very different does it need to turn into an FPS or something?

And Bluey, don't get upset. We all know it's because you haven't completed PH yet! :heh:

some of us have jobs. :smile:

...now that i'm thinking about it, screw zelda - where's the neverending story game? O__o that would be AWESOME!

PH wasn't fresh? Jesus, what the hell do you guys eat in the morning?

For Zelda to be fresh and very different does it need to turn into an FPS or something?

Tbh it was a poor zelda game.

I liked PH and all but it just seemed to be appealing to the casuals more. It was a good game but it was far to easy I think.

Also for next Zelda just a little graphics upgrade and the proper feel that "Hyrule is going to fall!". Thing Goron mentioned which I think was right, was that the first trailer was sort of misleading because it was as if it was Link literally against an army which I wanted to happen. I want full scale attacks, Hyrule actually falling during your game, the sense of urgency like you have to take down the enemy. Link riding on his horse in near death situations, more solitude with people knowing Link as the hero and sympathising for him fighting the darkness and to get that sad feeling like he might die!

And also more TriForce.