NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
stev2604

Laptop Advice

I'm considering getting a new laptop, would these specs be sufficient for running Vista and any other games/programs that I might want to run? It's a Dell Inspiron 1520:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7250 (2.00 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 800 MHz FSB)

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium - English

1 Year Base Warranty - Collect & Return

Jet Black Colour with Matte Finish & 2.0mp camera

15.4" Widescreen WXGA+ (1440x900) TFT Display with TrueLife

2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024]

250GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive

nVidia® GeForce™ Go 8600M GT with 256MB DDR2 dedicated graphic memory

Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including Software Primary 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery (85 WHr)

Also, is Vista really all that great or should I just stick with XP?

Thanks

It will run games okay, if your serious about PC games. Don't buy a Laptop.

Yeah, I don't really want to run any serious PC games on it, just something like SimCity 4 or Halo 2. Should I go with Vista or just stay with XP?

No, Vista is needed so more people buy it or switch - has nothing to do with DX10.

That one year garanty sounds a bit low ... I thought most big laptop companies give 24 months. I even would spend a little more to get 3 years - I paid 60€ to get 3 years of warranty and I guess that is well worth it.

Hmmm, went to order it and their saying due to high demand delivery will take 5 weeks! Would this just be worst case scenario or and exact time frame?

Thing is I need it for Christmas!

I can get a similar laptop with a normal delivery time, but it has a ATI Radeon® Xpress 1270 HyperMemory graphics card and an AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile technology TL-58 base processor. Are these much worse than what I previously posted?

Hmmm, went to order it and their saying due to high demand delivery will take 5 weeks! Would this just be worst case scenario or and exact time frame?

Thing is I need it for Christmas!

I can get a similar laptop with a normal delivery time, but it has a ATI Radeon® Xpress 1270 HyperMemory graphics card and an AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile technology TL-58 base processor. Are these much worse than what I previously posted?

Search for the inspiron 1520 on ebay, and you'll see loads of items with new ones from dell. I bought on from there and it arrived 3 days later (they have them in stock) and it comes with all the warranty etc because they are selling the Laptops new, so the warranty only starts when you get it.

You also get them for cheaper. Link here

Sign in to follow this