N-Europe

Groove Armada!

Dyson

Got back from my Groove Armada trip about 3 hours ago. Last night they were playing at the Brixton Academy as part of their UK tour - and oh my God, they blew me away.

I dunno how wide the knowledge of Groove Armada is - but I know it's probably grown since the release of Song 4 Mutya..either way, when I've told people I'm going to see them they always ask me who they are. I don't really know what to say. Search for them on youtube or something for a better example :P

But I got up to Ottershaw and a local pub at about 6pm last night, had a few drinks before minibussing it up there with several family friends etcetera. We arrived at the venue at about 10pm, and the first event of the night was being frisked by the security guard.

He searched me like usual, but then he felt something in my pocket. He pulled out an old hard-boiled sweet wrapper, and I thought he was joking when he looked at me seriously before realising the guard had thought I was actually trying to smuggle drugs in. He let me go after sniffing it and cofnerring with 2 security guards but that was an exciting (albeit somewhat frightening) experience.

Then we got in, and a support band were playing. Fast forward to 10:50pm. Beardyman comes on. Apparantly I've been living under a rock for a year or so, because I had no idea who this guy was. It turns out he's either the UK or Worldwide beatboxing champion, and he can do some seriously amazing stuff. For ten minutes I'm left amazed, and at the end he starts beatboxing a track by Groove Armada, and mixing and scratching it etcetera as part of his beatboxing. It was immense.

And then Groove Armada came on. And my god...I don't think I'll ever go to a gig that has blown me away quite as much as this one. The sound was perfect, I was right at the front, and I could see and hear everything perfectly. The songs they play are mixed so differantly in comparison to how their studio songs sound and it's just such an amazing experience. Their set went on until 1:15am, and following this there was a small DJ set to accompany everyone leaving.

So, simply put...I had the most amazing time. If anyone gets the chance to see Groove Armada (or even Beardyman, for that matter), do it. You won't be disappointed if you're up for a good night out.

Oh, and the venue! Brixton Academy. Absolutely perfect. It's a sloped floor so people at the back can see the stage perfectly, too. And it's set out great too. All standing below, seating on a balcony above.

Sorry for the creation of a new thread, however, music thread seems to be for general music discussion and there's no MPotD to put this anymore so I thought why not. :P I also realise not many people will have read this all, so...sorry for the long post! :bowdown:

Groove Armada are pretty good live! Saw them at the IOW Festy this year.

I say this story everytime GA are mentioned on these forums, but i was sat next to them on the ferry and didn't even realise it was them until I saw them on stage a couple of hours later!

They were talking about cheese on the ferry, how very random! :)

I say this story everytime GA are mentioned on these forums, but i was sat next to them on the ferry and didn't even realise it was them until I saw them on stage a couple of hours later!

No way! That's awesome!

Though, if you read their blog you'll see that's not exactly strange by their standards :P

And Echo, unfortunately, they didn't. Would have been sweet though. They also didn't play From the Rooftops which happens to be one of my favourites, but that makes sense. It's a very downtempo song and wouldn't have fit well with the tempo of the evening I suppose.

Though they did play At the River.

I also saw them at IOW although I didnt sit next to them on the Ferry.