NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dieter

Sony takes DRM waaay too far

Heh, Sony are being sued by 3 different people for using this method. Check out the BBC Technology page.

Thats good. What Sony has done is wrong, and I'm pleased people are taking them to court about it. For once I'm pleased Americans like to sue people.

Sony deserve everything that's coming to them.

When will they learn that copy protection only hurts consumers, and helps nobody.

It doesn't stop piracy in the least, because someone will always make tools to cirumvent any stupid protection they come up with, and then they remove all the DRM and freely distribute it online.

How long is it going to take before they realise this?

Even my father thinks what Sony's doing is bullshit, and he didn't even know half the stuff I was saying.

Rightly so. I mean if the law comes down harshly on virus and spyware writers, as it rightly should, sony should be no exception. IMO sonys DRM is exactly the same as spyware and the company should be treated no differently to how the law treats virus and spyware creators.

Any Idea when this comes into play, It may have already, and If so which releases are effected?

Any Idea when this comes into play, It may have already, and If so which releases are effected?

20 CD's in America are using it already, none over hear though.

Looks like most of us will be safe...

From Wired.com:

"Sony BMG, yielding to consumer concern, said on Wednesday it was recalling music CDs containing copy-protection software that acts like virus software and hides deep inside a computer.

Sony BMG has used the XCP copy-protection software on 49 titles from artists such as Celine Dion and Sarah McLachlan and produced an estimated 4.7 million music CDs. Around 2.1 million units have been sold on to consumers.

The software, developed by a British firm, First4Internet, installs itself on a personal computer used to play the CD in order to guard against copying, but it leaves the back door open for malicious hackers."

should be "spectacular egomaniacal design". When us nerds unite no one can stop us. Not even Sony.

Sign in to follow this