NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
S.C.G

MP4 Video playback codec for Window Media Player 11

I've been trying to find a codec for Windows Media Player 11 which will allow me to view MP4 video files but I can't seems to find one, does anyone know where I can download one from?

Thanks,

For the most part I do agree with Odwin, codec packs are teh devil in compressed form.

But, I do quite like CCCP. It's mostly a codec pack for people who watch anime, but once it's installed you should be able to play anything through anything....

CCCP is the exception to the rule (but it's basically some sub thing, media player classic, Haali and ffdshow in a bundle).

Indeed, I just added that in case the OP was looking to play anime or soft subbed video. It also has support for a couple more containers than Haali does alone.

(edit: ok just double checked and its not a couple, just one, and it's flv... not exactly epic requirements. Maybe I should just sit in the corner :heh:)

Thanks Mr_Odwin & Shorty, I installed the Haali Media Splitter and ffdshow and now Windows Media Player is playing MP4 files, a good visible difference in quality between AVI and MP4 from when I tested it with an MP4 file (I've been watching mostly AVI files up until now) thanks again. :D

It's not as straight cut as that. You should think of avi and mp4 as containers. Into those containers a variety of video and audio can be placed and there's a lot of overlap between the formats that can be contained.

For example the same xvid encoded video and mp3 encoded audio could be placed in either container (mp4 or avi) and it would play back and look exactly the same in either format.

Sign in to follow this