NEurope
welsh_gamer

Jury Service.

I was reading about jury service last night, and was thinking that I wouldn't mind signing up to be chosen to be a jurour someday. This may sound weird but it's something I've always wanted to do, possibly due to the fact that you get to 'play' detective for a few moments and have a big group discussion about the crime/fate of the prosecutor. But after saying this, I'm uncertain if I could be responsible for sending somebody to prison.

Has anyone on the forum done jury service in the past?

If you were chosen someday, would you be able to reach a verdit and send a guilty man to prison, or possibly an innocent man to prison?

Would you be worried that friends of the prosecutor might hunt you down, if you send him/her to prison?

It doesn't sound so appealing now...

I think my dad did jury service about seven years ago. But because I never cared, I'm not sure whether or not he did...

Never have been called, but then again, I haven't had much of a chance to, but if it means that I can go on a crusade of justice, a la 12 Angry Men, then I wouldn't mind. Hell, I'd get a kick out of it.

Been called for jury service a couple of times, always managed to talk my way out of it though, I really wouldn't want to be responsible for another mans fate.

Been called for jury service a couple of times, always managed to talk my way out of it though, I really wouldn't want to be responsible for another mans fate.

I think it would be great to do jury service. I just like the idea of deciding someone elses fate, though as long as it wasn't something like a triple murder case or whatever.

"Getting out of jury duty is easy. The trick is to say you're prejudiced against all races." - Homer Simpson

Only been called up once for duty and it was pretty easy, sent a man down for stalking two teenage girls. Had a death threat and thats about it really.

At this moment in time, I really wouldn't like to do it. For starters it'd really fuck up my year having all that time out of education, plus the job I want to do in the future is so work intensive..

I'd love to do it, provided it wouldn't get in the way of education. I think my mum was asked to, but couldn't go because she very was pregnant with me at the time. (she would've gone otherwise)

I'd do it in a few years. Like Blackfox though, I'm at uni and I'd decline the call for now. It's not something that bothers me though- if you believe in the legal system then you should be able to become part of it.

it's not something you can decline though, if you are on the UK voters roll you can be called up at any time as long as you're not part of the legal system or in Jail :)

although you can ask to be excused, but you need a good reason

it's not something you can decline though, if you are on the UK voters roll you can be called up at any time as long as you're not part of the legal system or in Jail :)

although you can ask to be excused, but you need a good reason

..like being in uni

Got the call for jury service a week after my 18 birthday. Pretty simple really, some kid set about a guy because he was angry he broke his window.

Free food though. And I had to share the elevator with just me, the defendant and the defendants dad after he was sentenced. Awkward.

You would want to do this?

I received a letter saying I was chosen but I got it referred due to studies, yay!