NEurope
jammy2211

RUMOUR: Nintendo working on a "Killer RPG"?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187222

So yeah, make what you will. Just to add a bit of fuel to the fire no one seems to have picked up, the Monolith head guy has confirmed they're working for an RPG on the Wii (as well as Disaster: DoC).

Interview - http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/731/731580p1.html

Read about this a while ago. I hope to god it's true. I really need an RPG or 20 on the Wii.

I was wondering when we would se something from monolith since the by out.

It was rumoured they were helping with Disaster: Day of Crisis. Whether it's true or not is anyones guess.

Hurry up with those RPGs!

It was rumoured they were helping with Disaster: Day of Crisis. Whether it's true or not is anyones guess.

Hurry up with those RPGs!

They're entirely in charge of developing Disaster: Day of Crisis, but it seems to have disappeared. My gut feeling is it's finished and ready, but Nintendo are holding it until 2008 as there's no room in the release schedule from now on.

Anyway, Monolith confirmed they're definitely working on an RPG as well as Disaster, so we're going to get some love from Monolith on the RPG front, and they've got the credentials to pull off something epic.

It screams fan-wank-bait but it would explain where the hell Matsuno's been and maybe Disaster has been put on hold so Monolith can focus all their resources on this project, explaining why everything has gone quiet on the game.

That article just sounds too unprofessional to have been in NGamer, and as someone cleverly stated Nintendo do already own the most successful RPG franchise in the world: Pokemon.

I call fake, Matsuno's probably just still on a break after what FFXII did to him (it destroyed his health forcing him to quit as director midway through the project) and maybe Disaster is still in development.

Never played Baiten Kaitos and Xenosaga, but judging from the reputation of these guys I'm game if they decide to make an RPG for the wii.

They're entirely in charge of developing Disaster: Day of Crisis, but it seems to have disappeared. My gut feeling is it's finished and ready, but Nintendo are holding it until 2008 as there's no room in the release schedule from now on.

Anyway, Monolith confirmed they're definitely working on an RPG as well as Disaster, so we're going to get some love from Monolith on the RPG front, and they've got the credentials to pull off something epic.

Didn't know that they're in charge of it all.And frankly it would be over shadowed this year and Nintendo need this to keep momentum going for next year.

Monolith RPG FTW!

Matsuno's probably just still on a break after what FFXII did to him (it destroyed his health forcing him to quit as director midway through the project) and maybe Disaster is still in development.
He said he's working on a Wii game one year ago:

At Nintendo's Wii press conference in Tokyo today, Yasumi Matsuno, director of Final Fantasy XII (well, until he left the project midway through its development) and other popular RPGs like Final Fantasy Tactics and Ogre Battle, stated that he is developing for the Wii and expressed his love for the platform.

As part of a video segment of developers praising the new Nintendo console, Matsuno stated he's a recent convert to the Wii. "The Wii controller makes total sense when you think about FPS-like games, but my question was, will the controls fit other existing games?" he asked himself, no doubt thinking of RPGs. "However, when I first tried Mario Galaxy, I realized that the controller fit the game almost scarily well. It allows you to intuitively feel the game and its atmosphere."

Matsuno also mentioned that he agrees with Nintendo's stance of gameplay over graphics. "Graphics (these days) have evolved, and there are many games claiming that this generates a more realistic atmosphere. However, there are very few games that have a control interface that lives up to this atmosphere. With the Wii controller you can actually feel like you're touching or living in this atmosphere."

Matsuno, who pulled a Dave Chappell and quit Square-Enix midway through Final Fantasy XII's development and kind of went into seclusion, is working on his Wii ideas for a new game developer (though which one has yet to be revealed).

Source: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3153639
Nintendo own Golden Sun, so maybe that.
They won't take that from Camelot and give it someone else, nor call an outsider to deal with it with Camelot.

Seems this rumour has some strength to it, I mean what the hell have Monolith been doing lately :P.

Alot of pieces come together really, the IGN interview, the 1up interview.

Not saying it will happen or anything, just thinking out loud.

It does answer one question which had me confused though, with their huge focus on casual gaming and stuff nowadays, I couldn't really understand why Nintendo would buy a company like Monolith Soft. Sort of makes sense now, *shrug*.

Another Baten Kaitos game would be great, but any RPG is good enough. Though I am bit pessimistic about this being true.

He said he's working on a Wii game one year ago:

Source: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3153639They won't take that from Camelot and give it someone else, nor call an outsider to deal with it with Camelot.

Wouldn't have to. They just have to get the two brothers that designed the games, the composer and a few key artists and Intelligent Systems could easily fill in the gaps.

I'm sure Nintendo aren't as nieve as some people think when it comes to studio aquisitions. Iwata's mind is probably ticking all of the time with forward moving gestures for the company (no wii pun intended). Japanese businesses barely rest on their laurels afterall.

I'm hopeful that they do indeed have Monolith working on a large scale RPG. The Wii has the potential to tap a sector of the RPG market as many companies with stories to tell will fall prey to the existing higher development costs. We need new companies coming to the fore. Even Squaresoft started somewhere with a small budgeted game. With an almost 'lower entrance' into the market surely we will get some pots of gold both from experienced and new devs.

I personally think Disaster has been indeed put on hold for the usual Nintendo influence. The sharp suits of Miyamoto and posse rolling in and finalising the project. Tweaking/influencing/guiding it to gaming perfection. (With pumpin' stereos playing The Beatles and bouncers peering as standard). I'm sure Nintendo want to create new IP's this generation in an effort to appease pre-existing gamers as they get merry in the office wailing their arms and hips around. It's also more affordable than ever before. No thanks to both the tech and the sales.

If FF wrecked Matsuno's health periodically, I'm sure he would have become (deeply?) disillusioned with the industry as a whole. The Wii does indeed seem like the perfect solution to expectancy in the industry. The anti-norm.

Just a little console going on it's own path. Earning the respect of others. How Japanese.

I just hope it will turn in a real rpg, something differente and new. Rpg are becoming, in my point of view, very igual nowadays. I hope monolith refresh the genre, using the Wiimote.

What was that title that was floating around before E3... Red something? Maybe its actually becoming a reality?

Vision Red. I was thinking the same thing.

Vision Red. I was thinking the same thing.

Ah, of course- Vision Red! :idea:

Glad to see we're on the same wavelength.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187222

So yeah, make what you will. Just to add a bit of fuel to the fire no one seems to have picked up, the Monolith head guy has confirmed they're working for an RPG on the Wii (as well as Disaster: DoC).

Interview - http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/731/731580p1.html

Its about time and its much needed. RPGs on the Wii will add fine contrast with the Wii Fits and the Wii Plays.

You know, in the last patent update by Nintendo there was a name no one has a clue about what it is.

Soma Bringer, it was.

It would make sense that Monolith would be working on a ROG, that's what they usually do and disaster is on hold.

Ah, of course- Vision Red! :idea:

Glad to see we're on the same wavelength.

at first i was thinking vision red (actually before E3 i was thinking that maybe it was true because nintendo bought monolith). however since pretty much noting else that guy said was true i doubt vision red will be.