N-Europe

civilisation and technology

Pestneb

I was having my daily pointless thought time last night while waiting to drop off to sleep, and I asked myself the question, did technology drive progress in civilisation, or did civilisation drive progress in technology?

and now I would like to know what you all think.

All the grand ancient civilisations that come to mind came about because of technology - Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, Chinese, Phoenicians and Babylonians all fall under this category.

British Empire as well, rose to dominance through industry as a result of advances in technology.

All the grand ancient civilisations that come to mind came about because of technology - Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, Chinese, Phoenicians and Babylonians all fall under this category.

but how did the technology come to be? was it not the civilisation that initially created the need of that technology, or at the very least allowed it to be created?

British Empire as well, rose to dominance through industry as a result of advances in technology.

I'm not going to argue with you there. Same applies to the USA: it's insane ability to mass-produce gave them a massive rise to power in the first half of the twentieth century.

but how did the technology come to be? was it not the civilisation that initially created the need of that technology, or at the very least allowed it to be created?

Could be argues, but the main reason for advances is money. Inventive people made things that they could sell or a service they could offer for a price. It's how man works. We have a brain and we use it to make things to make life better.

So the real way i think it works is Man invents Technology contributes to Civilisation which leads to expansion of the civilisation and more inventiveness and commerce as a result.

What do you mean by Civilisation anyway? as in a successful one that lasts for a while?

Could be argues, but the main reason for advances is money. Inventive people made things that they could sell or a service they could offer for a price. It's how man works. We have a brain and we use it to make things to make life better.

So the real way i think it works is Man invents Technology contributes to Civilisation which leads to expansion of the civilisation and more inventiveness and commerce as a result.

What do you mean by Civilisation anyway? as in a successful one that lasts for a while?

good question.. but what do you mean by Civilisation?

I think its one of those terms that is difficult to define... and what comes before a civilisation?