N-Europe

Dead pc

Tom

my pc has all but died.

the last week or so i have only just been able to use it, never more than 1 program at a time though. now it is even worse, taking over an hour to load windows when i turn it on. even that is sometimes a waste of time as it keeps turning off my usb ports, so no mouse or keyboard.

last few times i have been able to use i have checked to the best of my ability what might be wrong, but can't find any software issues. it's not overheating either.

anyone have any ideas?

its a 3ghz 64bit sempron with 1gb of ram running xp home.

nope. the main hard drive is less than a year old, surely there shouldn't be anything wrong with it? i have much older harddrives by the same manufacturer too. hmmm.

i thought it might have been a ram problem?

Guest Jordan

PC's don't "Totally die" unless you overheat the components causing a giant melt down of all the motherboard, CPU etc circutry.

Its probably a single component with an issue, if it doesn't turn on, then its probably just the PSU or the motherboard.

it turns on, it just can't complete loading windows. several people have suggested it may be a hdd problem, so i'll buy a new one. i had hoped i had made it clear i was trying to isolate a component or software cause of the problem