NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Mikey

New FPS control idea.

I've yet to play an FPS on the Wii, so maybe it's fine the way they play now, but I've come up with an idea on how to make an FPS play on the Wii.

Basically, you'd need a classic controller, and Wiimote. On the back of the classic controller are like rectangular holes, which I presume are for connecting something to the pad.

I think it'd be awesome if you could use the analogue sticks for movement and looking on the classic controller, with the Wiimote attached to the back for aiming.

Thoughts?

Hope I explained myself properly there, haha.

Hmmm, could technically work, but it doesn't sound very comfortable and accurate to me. If you use both analogue sticks for movement and looking, and the Wii-remote for aiming seperately, things are getting very, very complicated. Even when you would use one stick for movement and the Wii-remote for looking and aiming, you have a more cramped alternatve to the traditional setup. I think it has potential, just not for a FPS. I prefer the Wii-remote and Nunchuck-combo, but maybe someone can prove me wrong.

if you look at the ninchuck and the wiimote together you already have a normal controller. and if you played Metroid for the Wii you will see it works like that ^.^

Yer I don't like that idea at all!

Metroid will show us all the way on how FPS's on Wii should be done. I'm also curious to see how MoH Heroes turns out considering thats an FPS using the zapper, another thing that should work really well. Wii has the potential to make console FPS's worthwhile as currently they fall well short of PC ones because of the controls. Dual stick is simply too inaccurate.

That wouldn't work, it'd be too hard to aim. They've almost got it right anyway and it's still early days.

I always thought that idea would be great for something like starfox, although using the remote for directing your ship and the analogue controlling an on-screen reticle.

That sounds interesting, i like the idea of attaching the wiimote to something so that it is still pointing at the screen normally but you are holding onto something with two hands in a 'bikes handlebars' type setup... sigh... i wonder what ninty have got up there long and money coated sleeves?

I was just watching the GS MP3 video review and this hit me:

First, let me just say that I've not yet played an FPS on the Wii. The closest thing to it that I did play was Godfather in free aim mode and also Zelda. But think about this, up until now, all FP games on the Wii use the wiimote's IR functionality to aim the reticule on screen AND ALSO for turning... What I'm trying to say is that when you stop pointing the wiimote at the sensor bar, this functionality ceases to work, and your point of view either stops or enters a spinning spree and you get the message on the screen "please point the wii remote at the screen". And if you want to turn your character, you have to point at the edges of the TV/sensor bar. And I imagine that if a game is stressing you out a bit (fast paced action, being hit left and right), you will have a tendency to "overpoint" the wiimote off the edges of the screen, due to high adrenaline levels.

But what if an FPS used a combination of the IR and the actual motion controls for aiming? This way, the console could for example recognize when the wiimote is pointing towards your left living room wall, and thus turning your character to the left much faster, even if losing contact with the sensor bar's IR. You could also use a quick flick of the wiimote as a 180º turn (and the quick fllick of the nunchuck as a reload).

Bottom line of what I'm saying is, don't just use the IR for the aiming controls. Use both IR and the recognition of the Wiimote's position in 3D space for more effective controls. This way, it would be much close to the keyboard-mouse control.

What do you think about this?

Best way to control a FPS would be a Wiimote/nunchuk/balance board combo

You could use the balance board to crouch and lean round corners

Now there gaming experience would be scratching virtual reality.

Atleast as far as movement is concerned.

the problem is that looking and aiming becomes the same thing. Could looking be assinged to tilting the nunshuck perhaps

Sign in to follow this