N-Europe

Apple's Summer Mac Presentation

Jasper

The iPod's hard drive is stuck with tape, you're pretty lucky it hasn't broken if you keep on dropping it.

That made me laugh, seeing as I just bought yours lol.

I've heard lots of horror stories about ipods too, but then again you would seeing as so many people have them.

I think the experience with macs and PC's depends on the person. Some will love both for different reasons, some will hate one and love the other. They are different machines and I suppose shouldn't really be compared. You can compare 2 different sorts of PC's, but comparing a PC and a Mac people's opinions will always differ.

You know, Haggis - what you're saying is that people who eat apples (okay, pineapple's if you prefer - it's fruit, not incorporated) shouldn't say why theirs are better than Banana's? You're right that wichever you prefer is your choice, but that doesn't make one or the other better, does it? Is it? I'm pretty sure one is better than the other - but then again, they are very alike.

That didn't make any sense at all, did it?

You know, Haggis - what you're saying is that people who eat apples (okay, pineapple's if you prefer - it's fruit, not incorporated) shouldn't say why theirs are better than Banana's? You're right that wichever you prefer is your choice, but that doesn't make one or the other better, does it? Is it? I'm pretty sure one is better than the other - but then again, they are very alike.

That didn't make any sense at all, did it?

lol, it made sense. they are both better for different things, thats it basically. One can say that Macs are better because it suits their needs more, while someone else can say the same for Pc's. There will never be a conclusion to the argument because everyone has different needs, wants etc.

Guest Jordan

Takeo's a funny guy really.

A Radeon HD 2400 ain't gunna be running games all that well. Its esentially what a Radeon 9200 was back in the day.

A Radeon HD 2400 ain't gunna be running games all that well. Its esentially what a Radeon 9200 was back in the day.

I'm not a PC gamer so i don't give a shit really about what graphics card it has. My macs great for me, it runs wow, it will run starcraft II so i'm happy. Just reporting news is all.

If you want to play games just use boot camp.

ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT

yeah, good luck with that...

EDIT: damn, beaten to it ;)

I'm not a PC gamer so i don't give a shit really about what graphics card it has. My macs great for me, it runs wow, it will run starcraft II so i'm happy. Just reporting news is all.

Well the problem is you keep going on like the sun shines out of the (hypothetical) arse of every Mac in the world. The more you do it the more people will point out these little things.

Well the problem is you keep going on like the sun shines out of the (hypothetical) arse of every Mac in the world. The more you do it the more people will point out these little things.

I suppose the fact is that Macintosh's video cards are for video editing not for playing games. I just thought it was surprising that the hardware in the new iMac supports DX 10 through Vista.

It's a mac, there not really designed for games. At the end of the day that graphics card is gonna run photo and video editing fine, therefore it's all thats needed.

Guest Jordan

Err what?

Graphics cards aren't exactly needed when it comes to processing video editing etc. You need a strong, multi core CPU and a jack load of ram to back it up.

Okay, I have been trying to tell him that for months. Yet he doesn't seem to understand that somethings are not that great on mac, but hey - still love my mac, though.

Err what?

Graphics cards aren't exactly needed when it comes to processing video editing etc. You need a strong, multi core CPU and a jack load of ram to back it up.

Yeah, video ram as well... Espesically HD footage.

Just a question, does this Radeon 2400 XT have dedicated ram (if so, how much) or is it shared system ram?

http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html

There ye go. Go forth and find ye answers.

Or look here . . .

Graphics and video

20-inch model with 2.0GHz processor

ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT graphics processor

128MB of GDDR3 memory

20-inch model with 2.4GHz processor and 24-inch model

ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO graphics processor

256MB of GDDR3 memory

new iMac woes:

- disappointing screen

- unusable keyboard

- remote doesn't magnetically clip to side anymore

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/08/apple-4g-imac-first-unboxing-impressions/

iMovie woes:

Seems people are not happy with the new iMovie:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/09/how-would-you-change-imovie-08-special-emergency-software-edit/

I think the keyboard is useable, just takes about 30 mins to adjust to. I was using it yesterday and it was good apart from the keys being slightly further apart.

Wouldn't call the lack of magnet a major loss, i don't have one on my laptop and i've yet to loose it.

Screens nice, though not as great as some stand alone monitors you can get, and the glossy screens will be harder to see if your desk is opposite a window etc.

We still have the old iMovie though, and people with iLife 08 can download the iMovie 06 from Apple's site. New iMovie is just a handy way of throwing clips together really quickly and is easier to use than the original despite offering fewer features. Thats the trade off with these things sometimes though.

Not liking the sawn off wireless keyboard, what's the point of paying extra for half the keyboard?!

I'm happy with my old Apple wireless keyboard, has a full set of keys and is satisfying to use.