N-Europe

Apple's Summer Mac Presentation

Jasper

I'll be posting some shorter remarks on this conference and updating this thread for Windows users to easely find their way to it (and see how exactly Apple is going to be not-so-innovative from what I've seen this year). Just wanted to try this posting. Opinions are welcome, off course, but I'll be editing the post with the latest info.

New powerfull iMacs with the aluded keyboard. Looks good, will come in Aluminium and the good old white flavor (as far as I can see, though)

Nothing impressive up until now (even iLife '08 looks a little 'been there, done that') but i'm holding my breath for the 'one more thing', wich might be something bigger than Safari for Windows.

Updating the .mac features. Still not impressed, but it looks nice nonetheless. Still don't steal my 99 bucks for that, though. If closer integration of .mac with iLife is what they're pointing at, it's not the great innovation, but more something that should have been established when the service went live and users got their hands on iLife. Too little, too late. Let other users in my $99 .mac account? I'm not letting them do that to me, let them pay themselves! Grave security error if you ask me...

iMovie increased functionality: now with .mac - what the hell? Are they finally getting their online act together?

Indeed they are, with combining forces with Google to get your movies on YouTube - quickly and painless - and give your grandma a High-defenition movie. I don't really see the point up to now, Steve bragges about being able to export in many resolutions, but can't all basic Video-editors let you choose what resolution you publish in? Innovation acces: denied (for now).

It does sound pretty impressive, actually, when you see how fast it works. It appears to look like a professional application and work in similar manner as Windows Movie Maker (that one time I launched it to give it a try). But faster. Much faster. Steve just made a movie in a split-second (probably five minutes, since even macs don't do it that fast) and showed a movie edited in 20 minutes by on of their engineers. Pretty nice.

Enhanced iDVD. Still no trace of iBlu-Ray or iBD (or iHDDVD, if you care). Garageband gets some updates too. iLife avaible right now for $79. Yey! Now let's move on...

.mac for $99.95 with 10TB storage. That means you get ten times as much for the same bucks. Convincing, but not enough to switch me to the Web 2.0, Steve!

KeyNote '08 gets easier animations, simpler cropping of your images, create easy slides ('that mere mortals can understand' - not my words), new themes. pretty unimpressive, but hey - this conference doesn't do it's job really well for now...

Pages '08 introduces a word-processor and a page layout designer in one package. with contextual format bar. Sounds like something a certain company introduced in their latest productivity suite (wich was named 'Office 2007'). And great, Apple-designed templates for your generic page design!

Welcome to Apple, Numbers! The only application missing to make iWork the real productivity suite is finally in, and it's called 'numbers'. Working in similar way as the rest of the suite, but having the innerds of an accountant - this beast will help you with your number crunching...

And one more thing... We can have a Q&A session today, because we're in this intimate session! Not a new Mac Mini, iPod or even a smaller iPhone. Sad breaking of tradition, Steve.

That's it! The Q&A tells us the Mac Mini is updates today and announments on Apple Tv are to be announced soon. But that concludes the Apple Summer Conference, wich - in my opinion - was compeltely worthless except for the improved iMovie (wich looks great, by the way) and the new Numbers application. Thje rest was complete bullocks.

Guest Jordan

Lmao @ stupidly expensive new Macs.

I'm not starting another arguement, but why the hell would you buy a weak gaming Mac, which is around double the price of the PC equivliant?!

Holy crap.. :)

Because macs are fancy and Apple is in the position to ask that much. A lot of that money goes to the great design (heck, they showed a side-to-side view of a Dell and a Mac with the same configuration) and the other for their OS. But on the other hand, the OS is more appropriate for the professional workspace than Windows (sorry, factoid) and thus it feels betetr for thaat than for gaming, off course. Ah well, no discussion, just opinions. I'll keep updating in the first post.

Fair enough, i'll stay with my somehow "inconvient" PC and keep my money.

I didn't say inconvenient. For professional purposes, a Mac can do better things (Certainly in graphic design, and it does all the rest equally). But it lacks gaming. Fair trade.

Fair enough, i'll stay with my somehow "inconvient" PC and keep my money.

They've had a price decrease essentially and a spec increase and a new form factor and the new iLife as standard-as it is with all new macs from now on. I still say you can't compare similar spec'd PCs with Macs as it'd be like comparing a Daewoooooo with a Mercedes. The experience is totally different, as is the build quality and the extras, which to most people more than justifies the difference in price.

They've had a price decrease essentially and a spec increase and a new form factor and the new iLife as standard-as it is with all new macs from now on. I still say you can't compare similar spec'd PCs with Macs as it'd be like comparing a Daewoooooo with a Mercedes. The experience is totally different, as is the build quality and the extras, which to most people more than justifies the difference in price.

How much are they now then?

iMacs start at £799 with 2.0GHz Intel C2D, 250 GB 7200RPM HDD, 1 Gig RAM, 128 MB ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT GPU, wired new keyboard and mouse, SPECS are there.

Its still pretty expensive for those specs above, but its better than before at least.

Does anyone know a cheap place for MacBooks? Either new or refurbished.

Well, to bring up the notebook I used as a benchmark for the uni laptop thread.

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/127302/rb/0

It's just as powerful although the hard drive is smaller but it is 100 pounds cheaper. I'm sure if you looked around you could find a notebook with the same specs for the same price, and its more convenient because you can take it around.

It's just as powerful although the hard drive is smaller but it is 100 pounds cheaper. I'm sure if you looked around you could find a notebook with the same specs for the same price, and its more convenient because you can take it around.

Oh right, I was just confusing my self.

You make a really good point actually. I would rather bebale to have something of the same power that I could also carry around.

Oh right, I was just confusing my self.

You make a really good point actually. I would rather bebale to have something of the same power that I could also carry around.

I still say you can't compare similar spec'd PCs with Macs as it'd be like comparing a Daewoooooo with a Mercedes. The experience is totally different, as is the build quality and the extras, which to most people more than justifies the difference in price.

Nuff said.

I'll give you the experience bit, but the build quality of macs is superior to all notebooks? No. Extras, well I don't have a clue on that so won't comment.

Extras being iLife for free and other nice mac odds and ends like Comic Life. Build quality of my MacBook Pro is awesome. As it is of my dropped a few times iPod. The experience is superior imo, less time faffing around and more time using the computer for what you want to do on it. Research it a bit and play about with a mac for a few hours and see. Also Apple do a 14 days returns thing i'm sure, so if you got a Mac and wasn't happy you always can bring it back and get your money back to spend elsewhere.