NEurope
Mokong

SD card game saves question?

Ok here's a weird question, but can you only copy game saves from your Wii memory to an SD card AFTER it has been connected to the internet and received updates from there?

Reason i'm asking is I went to a cousins house for the weekend, and thought i'd bring some of my Wii games to show off to him, and i copied my game saves over to an SD card so I could also play some games on from where i left off and show off some unlocked features, like on RE4.

So get to his house put in my SD card and go to the memory to copy over my data to his Wii, and there was NO option to do so?

Not even an SD card tab?

Even when i select one of his game saves it doesn't give me the option to copy his game saves to an SD card, only an "erase" option.

The only thing that i could figure out was maybe it ability to use an SD card for games saves comes in one of the updates you get when you first go online, because my cousin doesn't have a wifi router this was the only thing i could think of.

But then why would Nintendo make it like this?

the only reason i can think of is since game saves don't take up that much memory, the ability to copy data to SD cards only comes active when you go online, (ie: for when you download off the VC)

But then even this seems a bit odd that they wouldn't let people copy and move game saves unless they went online.

(note: When i put RE4 into his Wii, it did perform some sort of update, but i don't know what exactly?)

Not sure. I've taken a save to a friends house on an SD Card before, but right enough he is hooked up to the net.

Seems very strange.

I'm pretty certain one of the updates the Wii had was to allow support for SD card data storage, so looks like your cousin is going to have to get his Wii connected to the net somehow to update it.

Yes, the SD support was indeed in one of the first updates that was released at launch, i bet that his Wii didn't have the little wii logos in the channel menu's between wii channel loading screens either, that was one of the first updates as well! what a weird thing to put in!

My attempt to answer your question 'why would nintendo make it like this?' is i believe that making features like this and wii channels available through wifi means that users have to connect to the net to get the updates which contain other things such as security updates and other stuff possibly things like region locking etc, and it helps for the user figures, they can give stats saying that so many people have hooked up to the wifi network etc!

My attempt to answer your question 'why would nintendo make it like this?' is i believe that making features like this and wii channels available through wifi means that users have to connect to the net to get the updates which contain other things such as security updates and other stuff possibly things like region locking etc, and it helps for the user figures, they can give stats saying that so many people have hooked up to the wifi network etc!

Suppose that's a good logical reason...that or maybe they forgot about it but remembered in time for the first update release.

I told my cousin to bring his Wii down to me next time he comes down if he hasn't sorted out his net connetion with his Wii.

He actually doesn't have the net, but uses the Vodafone modem, which is this little device that connects to his laptop but USB, and works off the mobile phone networks, so can't connect a wifi router with it, he could get the Nintendo Dongle, but i tried using his laptop and even though they say the vodafone thing is broadband it was damned slow, i'd hate to think how slow the Wii would be using it

In reference to your question about Resident Evil 4 doing an update. I think some of the updates are available on certain games. I forget which game but I'm sure I remember reading that there was a game that had the SD card update on it...

If a Wii's not connected to the Internet then certain new games actually contain the firmware upgrades so try putting in all your games, the likelihood is one of them will have the SD upgrade. But yes, SD cards didn't work without this.

I only had RE4 and Dragonball Z with me, RE4 as i said previous did an update (what it changed though i never figured out)

I remember another cousin tell me Mario Strikers performed an update when he first played it on his, but he has since gone online anyway so would have total upto date firmware

Okay, I've never owned a Gamecube, but my pending Wii ownership had me looking at some GC games like Mr. Driller and the Intellivision Collection. I know that for whatever reason the Classic controller doesn't work with GC games, so I've got to pick up a GC controller (guess I can skip the Classic one, though), but can you do GC saves to the Wii SD card, or do I need to plump for a GC memory card as well -- of course I don't even know if those games support the memory card...

Okay, I've never owned a Gamecube, but my pending Wii ownership had me looking at some GC games like Mr. Driller and the Intellivision Collection. I know that for whatever reason the Classic controller doesn't work with GC games, so I've got to pick up a GC controller (guess I can skip the Classic one, though), but can you do GC saves to the Wii SD card, or do I need to plump for a GC memory card as well -- of course I don't even know if those games support the memory card...

You still need a GameCube memory card. Why they didn't even add the possibility of backing up your GC saves on the Wii memory still baffles me.

I figured that; also realised that both the titles I indicated are imports and according to the Freeloader documentation I've found Japanese games want to reformat your card -- guess I can just get two 8MB cards instead of one 16MB, then.

The Freeloader thing is very interesting...no hardware mod required for GC, and apparently Wii-compatible. With any luck the Wii will have similarly easy-to-defeat region-coding, although I've yet to see any Japanese or US release Wii titles I'd want to import...

The Freeloader thing is very interesting...no hardware mod required for GC, and apparently Wii-compatible. With any luck the Wii will have similarly easy-to-defeat region-coding, although I've yet to see any Japanese or US release Wii titles I'd want to import...
Not anymore, with the Wii update yesterday freeloader for the Wii stopped booting (still boots on GC's just fine though).

It will only be a matter of time before we see an updated Freeloader. Other than that Datels freeloader is buggered.

It will only be a matter of time before we see an updated Freeloader. Other than that Datels freeloader is buggered.
We can't be arsed to buy one everytime Nintendo blocks it and they've made their point, they can do it anytime.

Yeah, I read that. Bites bites bites, but it saves me a few bucks on GC games and accessories, so thank you Nintendo for that.

So, back on-topic, I assume that even though VC games can only be run from the built-in flash memory, they can be backed up to SD, correct? Backing up flash memory appears to be the only reason I can see to get an SD card at present.

Yes, you can back them up on an SD card. But they will only work on the Wii that they were downloaded on.

Zelda_Rules,

If your Wii were to die and you got a new one, I take it Nintendo has a method of transferring them a la iTunes tracks on computers?

Only if you send it to them to get replaced or fixed, I think. Then you can ask them to put over all your savegames and vc games on the new console. They won't do this if you sell your Wii and then buy a new one later on, I heard this from someone the other day.