• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReZourceman

• Happenstance

• Paj!

• Dan_Dare

Dan did you remember to read Second Coming: Blind Science? A semi-pointless tie-in, but it gives an indication of what Hope's powers might turn out to be. The X-Club tell jokes though.

I've not, actually.

Definitely not bothering with that jaunt in to Limbo in Hellbound (seriously, fuck that) but the x-club are a bit awesome. I'll take a look after Doomwar #4, which everyone should be reading FYI.

Yeah I'm not bothered about what happens to Magick. I also started reading the X Factor tie in but disliked the first bit and couldnt be arsed finding the next bit.

Anyone hear read Flex Mentallo? I'm guessing no. It's a spin-off by Morrison/Quitely *orgasms* from Morrison's Doom Patrol run *screams in ectasy*, and is...absolutely...amazing. I love having my thoughts provoked.

052307c.jpg

Also forbidden to EVER be reprinted, so you HAVE to read it by other means. The Charles Atlas company or whatever Flex Mentallo is a parody of filed a lawsuit against DC/Vertigo, which DC won, as long as they never reprinted the series.

---

Finished that. It was ridiculously affecting. A++

----

Also just started reading Bendis' run on Daredevil, and I'm already blown by the art.

Edited by Paj!

Doomwar is developing in to a seriously solid crossover, gang. If you're not reading already you should really give it a look. It's better than Siege so far. Hope it keeps up the steam.

two minor problems that I'll tag

Hang about, where are the X-Men? They helped get storm out of the slammer but they fucked off without a word and haven't come back. Racists!

Deadpool? Really? His inclusion is....ok it's reasonably explained but damn, son. Feels like an editorial mandate, even if the writing covers it well. At least his first scene was lolz.

Other than that it's great. Tension, pace, quality art, good characters and a genuinely menacing show from Dr. Doom, who's coming across as a seriously well motivated and complex foil for Richards and Ta'Chilla.

other news: Some bitch better scan Secret Warriors 'fore I gotta start cuttin motherfuckers.

I heard Doomwar was good elsewhere too, despite NEVER having heard of it before you mentioned it yesterday.

Is Storm mainly in Africa these days? She's not been in X-Men for ages, but now she's

trapped in the red bubble of doom with the rest of Chicago.

Yeah I remember that...it was just really odd seeing Storm sporadically in X-Men and even then, not very highlighted. She's been one of the most central/important/prominent X-Men for 30 years or something.

Yeah to be honest I'm not totally cool with that. I like that she's married and so on- shows a bit of genuine progression but it's had an impact on the X-Men and I think with Utopia going on, Storm should have been more involved as her outlook would, no doubt, be a useful counterpoint to Scott.

Ho hum. Perhaps she'll be more visible after DoomWar- I have no idea where the Black Panther books are heading after this so we'll see.

*not really spoilers ahead, just minor activites from recent X-Men issues*

Yeah that might explain why it's felt a bit odd how EVERYONE (except Hank obvs) is deferring to Scott. Practically soley. Sure he's probably the best leader there, but Storm would, as you say, be a nice counterpoint as she has her own say in things. I suppose she still holds leadership status, illustrated when she says she wants a talk in private with Scott regarding him keeping X-Force a secret from her.

I want Magento and Kitty back on their feet soon though, both of them could be invaluable assets on the leadership/strategic front.

---

I love. Cliff Chiang is a comic artist (mainly covers I think), and does these jokey 1980's reference things.

EDIT: Posting the images doesn't work. Here's the link, they're within the first few pages.

(Just in case you don't know: Breakfast Club, Rio by Duran Duran, Flashdance, Purple Rain by Prince and Pretty In Pink.)

Edited by Paj!

I fully expect Mags to be on top form to

take out some of the Nimrods

next issue. You just...can't leave him out of that scenario unless you're a total mental.

There's a debate kicking off on CBR about Scott actually becoming a new Magneto and a possibly resurrected Jean Grey being a new Xavier. Personally, I disagree. Although Scott is an isolationist, and Utopia is very close to Genosha

Seriously, what is it with Mutants, islands and genocidal robots?

I don't think he's being set up as a Magneto-alike because once M-Day is resolved (Surely hope's power?) I think he'll return to Xavier's integration ideals. It's just not possible now because those ideals are based on the idea that Mutant numbers are going up and will eventually replace Humans.

I love how the X-verse is going at the moment, how it's mirroring more and more Genosha. Also ties into why Magento is such a good character, especially as a villain; Most of the time, you find yourself agreeing with what he's saying. :woops: (I've been rereading the Ultimate X-Men recently too, and he's done os well there..he's unforgiving and obviously his lack of care for any human life is alien, but putting yourself in a mutants shoes, he's portrayed as otherwise almost reasonable, and very charasmatic.)

I don't think Scott will pull a Mags though. I also hope Jean doesn't come back yet. I love her, but I actually like the fact they haven't brought her back properly yet.

Although I'd love to see her come back just to see what Scott/Emma would do. Presumably it would just stay the same, I can't imagtine Jean breaking them up after what she told Scott when she died. Maybe she and Wolverine could finally just have sex for once.

I hope not. I mean, Irredeemable is already doing the 'dark superman' thing brilliantly. Millar couldn't hope to match that.

In fact, I'm hoping Millar looses the whole ultra violent narcissism he's adopted of late. It's wearing thin. Unless Nemesis improves considerably above the shock value of #1 it's going to be pretty boring. I hope this is more in line with Red Son and Ultimate X-Men.

Edited by Dan_Dare
Dare Edit: I fail.

Miller

Miller

Miller

Seriously, do you want a slap?

Comic pet hate tbf. But I will let you off, due to your normally relentless levels of awesomeness.

Much like with Civil War it seems Avengers 2 has kicked off another good working relationship.

Sounds very promising indeed.

I love how GREAT Scottish people are at comics.

Morrison and Quitely, obviously, I've never been more stunned.

And Mark Millar, though a bit more prone to fall into "overuse of the individual tropes". By that I mean you can TELL it's him writing, the way he structures sentences and the clauses. Everyone sounds quite smug/bitchy. But it's great, and he plots good stories.

Some dude has seen the Captain America costume

The first thing I noticed is that the trademark wings that flank the side of Cap’s hood are gone. In fact the “hood” is gone entirely. In its place is a more traditional M1 Army helmet though this helmet does come over the eyes to give Cap a traditional “domino mask” look. Still present is the white “A” in the middle of the hat (nothing fancy, this is the traditional font), though like the rest of the costume, the blue of the helmet is much more muted than the blue in the comic costume. A thick black strap comes down over the ears and connects under the chin. …

On his chest still lies the white star though it’s not as prominent as the comic version. The costume is still split horizontally through the middle with blue on top and red and white stripes on the bottom. But instead of stripes, it’s actually just a white base with two red utility straps acting as stripes. These straps affix to a metal loop at the midpoint of the chest and a black strap extends up to the shoulders from that point.

So it sounds a fair bit like the version from #1 of The Ultimates, only even more adjusted for a military look/ purpose. To me, that's an essential change because I just cannot see anyone taking the full costume seriously, especially not the original 1940s version. Hopefully we'll see a shot soon like the one of Thor the other day.

4660743873_cf4242630a_b.jpg

Edited by Dan_Dare
Automerged Doublepost

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!