N-Europe

UK

Correct me if I'm wrong but you seem to very much be drawn into (not solely, mind you) any story that has a mindboggling scale, where everything changes at a rapid pace and all out war can break out and reshape the planet in the blink of an eye.

I do like that stuff yeah, but I wouldn't say I like it more than anything else. I'd tend to say that I like non-that kind of stuff more in fact. The only Earth shattering stories that even come to mind that I absolutely loved were Blackest Night, Inv 60 (one of my favourite comics ever) and Civil War. Like Invincible I think....looking at these recent ish issues.

55- jail break. Loved it. Not a huge story exactly, just a great issue.

56- Showing Marks darker side and anger. Great character development.

59- awesome villains creatings.

I just think Invincible is offensively good. In my eyes the best writer and artist, (understand this is personal taste) but I think its actually the industries best colourist, and I don't even think anyone could argue against it. (Not saying it would suite all comics, but it is without a doubt, undeniably the "best") short of say...that Gabriella painter dude, but then he's not doing like (three) ongoings per month.

Like I said, I still think it's really great, but... hm... maybe I would've preferred if it had taken a little longer to get this far.

It's been 7 years! :p

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReZourceman

• Happenstance

• Paj!

• Dan_Dare

I was gonna say...Invincible is a success in the fact that it is (from my perspective) one long story, rather than "THE ADVENTURES OF!". Though it's obviously broken up and bits branch out here and there, I liked how they did Nolan's progression.

It's not the best thing ever, though I do really like the art (it's very suited), and it's well written. It feels a bit more "edgy"...in that, I'm always...on..edge? I dunno what I'm trying to say.

----

Something I've been thinking about a lot recently; I'm not sure if it's a precedent now or whatever, but since reading a lot of 90's comics recently, I've come to hate the 'Claremont'-writing, even the obligatory bits where they recap what's happened previously to help readers who missed it.

I know X-Men (various titles within) have done a seperate "Previously.." page right at the start for years, as have the ultimate comics, but why isn't this standard? It kinda ruins the feel when characters really randomly spraff on about events. Even just in thought boxes/bubbles it's the same thing. No one wants to hear it, put it all in a seperate page.

Maybe it's commonplace now, not sure. I know Thunderbolts does it.

Ultimate Avengers 2.

The bit with the Punisher made me so giddy as a school girl. I was of course practically clapping.

Just finished reading that, I never really liked the Punisher and this was no exception. Saw nothing that made me want to carry on. Only thing I am wondering is if they are just ignoring the Punishers first ultimate appearance in Ultimate Spider-Man or if it'll be mentioned later.

I was gonna say...Invincible is a success in the fact that it is (from my perspective) one long story, rather than "THE ADVENTURES OF!". Though it's obviously broken up and bits branch out here and there, I liked how they did Nolan's progression.

It's not the best thing ever, though I do really like the art (it's very suited), and it's well written. It feels a bit more "edgy"...in that, I'm always...on..edge? I dunno what I'm trying to say.

----

*Kirkman has a well established habit of keeping readers on very unsteady ground in his books. TWD is the best example of this, and has a very fluid status quo that can't be relied on at all like a regular comic.

For example, Spider-Man always lives in New York and constantly performs the same dramatic function. Has done for years, and will continue to do so. Even when it 'changes' (He's moving to San Fran apparently) the status quo will eventually return. 'Nobody stays dead in comics etc'

TWD, on the other hand, does nothing of the sort. Although the status quo has generally moved fairly slow (the prison/Woodbury lasted two whole years) it never feels static. Deaths have always been permanent in Kirkman books* and he has a talent for hanging that over people.

In a sense, he writes ongoings like they're limited series'. They feel like they could end or change massively at a moments notice, largely because they're creator owned.

I realise that in Invincible there have been 4 'deaths' that have not stuck but each one has been rationalised and he's never ressurected anyone declared officially dead.

I suppose within Marvel and DC, and with the big superheroes, there's always the knowledge that there is an existing status quo that will always come back eventually.

Whereas in seperate/Image stuff, but within the genre (so Invincivle for example), there's much more freedom to do whatever.

If someone is writing Justice League for example, they know that they have this alloted time in which they're allowed to write, before the reins are given to someone else. And people won't always agree, leading to horrible retcons. Like when Morrison's Magneto was retconned to being...someone who was neither Magneto or Xorn. (I actually don't mind that on a story level, but the fact of the retcon is kinda iffy)

Looks like she's got a snake's lower body. Her pose actually makes no sense, especially in regards to how all the rest are standing. Odd perspective.

I love how concise the team is though, without the chaff (Spidey and Wolvey).

Quite a few people seem to think Bucky looks like John McCain in that picture.

I think Spider Woman is an odd choice for the main Avengers team, you'd think she'd be more suited to the Secret Avengers or New. Would have thought Ms Marvel would have been more likely.

Yeah it would be cool to have an event like the old -fashioned ones, all united against a big threat. Infinity Gauntlet or whatever it was called. Or I think you mentioned Galactus. Though they'd have to think of an original way to do him.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!