NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
corkcrumbs

First scene in "my" Metroid game idea

Maybe I shouldn't post it here, but then again, what does it matter?

Just a very short scene, but pretty neat...

We see the morph ball coming out of a small opening, it could very well be a location where Space Pirates live...

Samus morphs back into normal, human shape, but it's a young Samus, 12, 13 years old...

she is in a training hall, and she is being trained by the chozo.

This scene is a good "starting point" for telling the player about why Samus can morph into a ball (because the Space Pirate society consists of races of different sizes, among them a tiny race), and letting the player in on her past: an orphan raised by the chozo.

EDIT: it's irritating: now I'm in between two jobs and I come up with a lot ideas since I'm not working... I will soon start work again, and thus I wont come up with anymore ideas for a long time :(

I just don't understand what the hell is going on in here.

Oh sorry! I only described the first scene in the opening cinematic to a game idea I have on a new Metroid game.

we should have an official thread for game ideas

Yeah I guess, or I don't know how you've gone about and done it before I became a member here but a thread like that would be nice maybe

Ok, so I know that I'm a bit unusual in that I just write ideas now and again on forums like these because I've given up on getting in to the industry (sure there's digipen as an alternative, but then ud have to devote some years to that, but sure I guess I could do that maybe) but in some way I have given up faith in nintendo, so I just ramble on and start threads where I tell about ideas I have for games... I just don't know, but I think that most people who also have "grand" ideas for new videogames tend to not tell them to the whole world, because it doesn't make any sense to tell about them when you have been rejected then you should just go back to the drawing board and refine the idea in any conceivable way you can think of...

So a short reply... I don't think everyone wants to share their ideas in a forum, most people would probably first want to get in to the industry, work their way up and then tada! present their ideas where it can actually become something that people invest in...

But I hope a thread like that could open up to people starting threads like "mario kart wii" and have people quickly type in small but fun ideas, which in turn could result in a community aspect where people together "assemble" ideas into a more or less fully fledged gamedesign doc, or well.. more like a fully fledged wish list for the next... game of choise.

we should have an official thread for game ideas

Please just don't call it "The Official Thread For Game Ideas".

Please just don't call it "The Official Thread For Game Ideas".

You Tellyn, tell 'im! :wink:

Oh, fuck! I said that wrong! :woops:

Nope, thats a BAD IDEA. Anyone who actually cares about their idea would NEVER post it.

I like the idea about showing Samus past as an intro. It would make th game feel more epic. It could give you a sense of history and a reason to why the Space Pirates must be hurt.

Nope, thats a BAD IDEA. Anyone who actually cares about their idea would NEVER post it.

yeah! like nintendo, if they really cared about their games they would never publish them! just keep everything for yourself, that's the only way to grow. you don't want some asshole telling you what he thinks about it, right?

yeah! like nintendo, if they really cared about their games they would never publish them! just keep everything for yourself, that's the only way to grow. you don't want some asshole telling you what he thinks about it, right?

I think he means unless you patent it someone will just nick it if its anygood.

Inportant if you have a great game idea!

I can't stress enough, please dont send design documents to game developers without either copyrighting the idea or having proof like above of when your idea was created by sending through the post!!

Title Page and Copyrights.

A title page for a design document is very important. It will be seen often, so avoid a title name or a font format with which you are unhappy. Certain copyright and trademark information must also be presented for you and/or your company’s legal protection.

Table of Contents.

This gives the reader an overview of what is contained within the design document, including page numbers. From the designer’s standpoint, it becomes very useful in helping him or her see how all of the subjects in the design flow into the overall structure of the product design. This information should be kept simple, to the point, and very easy to read.

Production Mission Statement.

A mission statement is a relatively concise, often one-page description of what you want this product to accomplish for the company. It should include such items as the theme of the product (like action or puzzle), the style of the product (like 2-D top-down shooter), style of game play (perhaps it plays like “Tomb Raider” or “Zelda”), character art style (like cartoony or realistic), background art style (like dark fantasy or sci-fi), target age group, target rating, target platform, special hardware (like a light gun), minimum hardware requirements, estimated production team size, and scheduled completion date. Also, include a short list of no more than three competitive products that are on the market making certain that you explain your edge over these titles point by point.

The Game Concept Overview.

If you had only one page of text to get across all of the key points that make your concept great and sellable, what would you include? It’s almost like a sell sheet that the sales and marketing department would use to promote the game. Don't get overly technical. This is the section that most marketing and sales people will review, and you don't want to scare them off with techno-babble. Also, don't omit how you came up with the idea and why you picked it as your production goal. You want to bring the skeptics around to your way of thinking.

The Game Back Story.

Although the back-story for a product is often fluff, it helps to bring your team into the world you envision.

The Product Flowchart.

This is a handy device to demonstrate how all of the big elements fit together to make the product. In this section, you simply walk the reader through each stage of the start-up interface, all the way down into the game, and back out to all possible endings, making sure to show how each section branches off to the different options. Don't worry about the level-by-level and bonus section stuff just yet. That will come in the next section.

The Game Play Flowchart.

Here you walk the reader through each playable stage of the game, including all possible branches and sub-endings. Make sure to list all the levels out by name or number. This helps avoid confusion during production.

The Game Interface.

The typical video game interface has several primary functions, including introducing the publisher and/or developer, informing the public about the copyright/trademark status of the product, presenting a pre-rendered or pre-animated or static story that leads the player into the game, and giving the player the lead-in options for the game (such as Start or Options or Difficulty). Also, the interface displays an ongoing status of the game while you play, it presents the player with special rewards for goals achieved, and it explains the punishment for failing goals.

Game Play Overview.

This is where you walk the player through the product's play experience. For example, here you would list out Levels 1, 2, 3, and so on, making sure to explain where the level is in the game, and what elements make up the game play for that world. Also, don't forget to add notes on what the level might look like; this will give the art team a starting point.

The Player Character.

Here is where you explain all of the things that make up your player character, including looks, abilities, and limitations. Ideally, in this section, you find the conceptual art for the player character along with a description of moves that may range from a simple walk to a back flip. It should also contain special acquired abilities that the player character can pick up from any number of sources during the game. You also want to include the player character’s combat and defensive abilities, the type of weapons the player can use, whether the player will take damage from fire or sharp objects or other items, and what the player character’s reaction will be when being hit by, say, a monster.

Game Controls.

Provide a drawing of the game controller or keyboard. Be sure to note whether the controls might be changed by the player prior to or during game play.

Game Characters.

This is where it gets really fun, where you get to create all of the great monsters and other characters for your game.

Game Pickup Items.

What pickup items will the player encounter and collect during game play?

The Game World Design.

Here’s where you list—in level-by-level style—all the topics that make up each stage of the game. For instance, include things like a description of any lead-in CG cinematic to the level, general description of the level, description of ground-based gameplay, notes on any land-based or sky-based level animations required, what story characters are located in the level, and anything else you can think of. Then just repeat this section for each of the levels in your design. It’s a great idea at this stage to sit down with some of the programmers and work out what they need to know about all the elements that will make up the game. A successful design document must be usable by designers, programmers, and artists alike.

Music and Sound Effects List.

This has a number of important uses, including costing the work out. Also, it is important to list in order of need so the music and sound contractors know what to deliver first.

Engine Overview.

List information from your programming staff on what the game system and engine can and can’t do. If needed, prototype to learn the limits and set realistic guidelines for your project. Include such things as the number of characters you can have on the screen at once, how many animations there can be per character, any camera and game view restrictions, how may polygons can exist per level and character, and the number of colors per texture map. All of this information will be crucial for the designers and artists who need to know as much as possible before starting to work.

Once the design document is completed, you can move on to produce the production schedule for the game. Without a design document that outlines everything we’ve discussed—and more—a production schedule will not hold and, in the end, the game and/or the budget will suffer.

DO NOT FORGET TO PUT IT IN AN ENVELOPE AND SENT IT TO YOUR OWN ADRES (KEEP IT SEELD)

DO NOT FORGET TO PUT IT IN AN ENVELOPE AND SENT IT TO YOUR OWN ADRES (KEEP IT SEELD)

Doesn't it need to be recorded delivery, too?

No offense, but game developers don't give a fuck about any ideas the audience has. Only way nowadays that they'll consider your ideas is when they ask the audience themselves as to what would be nice to have in the game, and that only really happens with sequels.

They employ people for this anyway called script writers and designers, who are usually qualified or experienced.

i know several developers who still listen to gamers (thanks god) and although you might think different even Nintendo is one of them.

i know several developers who still listen to gamers (thanks god) and although you might think different even Nintendo is one of them.

Listen maybe, but writing up a game design document and then sending it to them will hardly ever have the outcome of that title ever being created.........especially a company like Nintendo.

Listen maybe, but writing up a game design document and then sending it to them will hardly ever have the outcome of that title ever being created.........especially a company like Nintendo.

Owe that is very mush true but i never said you should send it to them now did i ^.^

Owe that is very mush true but i never said you should send it to them now did i ^.^

True, very true. :heh:

I have to say though that what you wrote up above in the long post was pretty impressive, and I enjoyed reading it. :smile:

True, very true. :heh:

I have to say though that what you wrote up above in the long post was pretty impressive, and I enjoyed reading it. :smile:

hehehe thank you ^.^ well you know me ^.-

Sign in to follow this