N-Europe

Fix slow Copy/Delete/Move in Vista

JMarimon

Hey guys. For the longest time, I just lived with it. If you have Vista, you know it. Copy a file, it is slow; move it, again, slow. Delete is slow as well. It brings up that window and sits there calculating remaining time in the time it could have just deleted the damned file. Well, anyhow, I discovered a fix to this and wanted to share it with everyone. It just made me that happy. (You have to be really happy to feel like sharing.)

Go to your Control Panel (Switch to Classic View) -> Programs and Features -> On the side, click "Turn Windows Features On/Off" -> Uncheck the box that says "Remote Differential Compression".

If you never noticed it before, try deleting a file now, it will shock you how fast it will go.

Anyhow, I sure hope this helps someone, it sure helped me, and there is an entire three internets complaining about it. Spread the word!

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't there a drawback to this though? Surely it was there for some purpose.

Does this mean you have to keep it in classic view though? It was something I'd noticed, and was immensely pissed off with, it's like things are moving backwards, not forwards!
You don't even have to put control panel into classic view to see it, you can just click on Programs from the new control panel layout :)