N-Europe

CPU Benchmark Competition (Windows Users)

Mr_Odwin

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PCMark 2005 :)

Also is there a difference between using this in XP and Vista?

I actually got 20 points more on Vista compared to XP, although I left quite a few processes on (apart from the 20 or so that I disabled because otherwise I feel Vista is a disabled OS) but that could have to do with Vista 64 bit against XP 32 bit.

I'm not sure what my temps actually are! The thermal sensor on mine seems to be buggered...Coretemp, Everest etc. all report superhigh temps (like 50 idle), and the sensors on two cores don't seem to go below 51 on them. Ever. Realtemp is better, the aforementioned cores are still stuck (at 41). Realtemp reports the "good" cores at 39 idle, I've had to put 1.3v core voltage to get to this...seems I may have a bad clocking chip as I've heard other people achieved 3400mhz with ~1.20-1.23v. But mine was crashing loads at about 1.25v. Disappointing, but I don't plan to run it higher than that - not until I can get definite temp readings at least! Under load they were ~50 so not too bad. I'm using a Noctua UH-12P heatsink, really nice piece of kit.

Funny, I also get wrong readings. Coretemp and Everest also report around 50 when idle at standard clock. The motherboard tools read something around 25 though which can't be true either.

And Realtemp says 28, 34, 39, 42 (thanks for that program btw, didn't know it).

That's also the reason why I haven't dared to overclock it yet. Furthermore the mainboard is controlling the fan speeds, although I could turn that off.

I deemed my current 3.44GHz to be safe in any case - I'm not pumping more than the stated voltage through it and I've got one of the best coolers on the market so it should by all means be fine. But I'm not going to try going further until they fix the sensors or whatnot. If they can that is, I don't know if a bios update will do the job or not.

What's your cooler?

Well to be honest it is only the best heatsink on the market so you'll be fine :p didn't properly before this one. But it's actually quite easy. Boot in at stock with voltages on auto and see what they are on Everest, it's a good starting place for those. If you want any pointers just ask :)

A friend recommended me that Heatsink - so he did well it seems.

It's my first custom built computer.

If you want any pointers just ask

Thanks, but I guess I'll ask the aforementioned friend. He's quite the OCer and should be easier than explaining it on the forum.