NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
The fish

Last.fm bought out for £140 million.

I think Last.fm is great the way it is, I'm surprised it was bought out but don't need to see any changes really. Although it could do with updating a little faster, especially those boxes we put under our avatars.

I don't really understand why it's the largest ever web 2.0 acquisition... especially when they list Google's $165bn buyout of Youtube. If web 2.0 is primarily defined as user generated content, then Youtube's in the same boat.

I don't think it'll make such a big difference. I only hope they don't start using our music data to spam us, but I doubt that'll happen anyway.

I don't really understand why it's the largest ever web 2.0 acquisition... especially when they list Google's $165bn buyout of Youtube. If web 2.0 is primarily defined as user generated content, then Youtube's in the same boat.

Largest ever UK web 2.0 aquisition.

I really hope it doesn't suddenly get 'Americanized'. The fact it is quite British in its styling is why I like it!

Largest ever UK web 2.0 aquisition.
Oh yea argwq0.gif I blame that on my still being in bed.

Last.fm is amazing. I just hope there won't be any big changes in how it works. This was to be expected really, I'm surprised though that Google wasn't the one that bought it.

Might be the same as when google bought youtube.

Maybe they'll leave it as it is, put advertisements in the website. Get some money in.

A worthy purchase. Good site, good design. 140 million well earned.

I'd imagined the site will remain the same. Google haven't even touched Youtube have they? Theres a site that needs a re-design.

I hope it doesn't change at all to be honest, love it the way it is.

I hate how its really slow at updating the charts.

On the actual software where it scrobbles your tracks some artists are behind in play count considerably, I think Bjork is almost 2 million behind her actual last.fm acount figure.

I think it could be made faster.

Yeah, Bjork's play count hasn't been updated in ages. Since I've listend to loads, I've seen the number be static.

Lol I love our pretermined categories of fame.

0-10,000 plays - nobodies

10,000-100,000 plays - chances are you've never heard of them.

100,000-500,000 plays- you'll have heard of them before.

500,000-1,000,000 - should be ringing bells, and you'll recognise some tracks.

1,000,000-3,000,000 plays - famous

3,000,000-5,000,000 plays - realistically everyone has heard of them; obviously famous.

5,000,000-10,000,000 plays - if you've never heard of them you should be laughed at.

10,000,000 plays or more - realistically you should have heard their music unless you've had your head under a rock for all your life.

it annoys me really, its just to slow. I hope they do change it, for the better

Lol I love our pretermined categories of fame.

0-10,000 plays - nobodies

10,000-100,000 plays - chances are you've never heard of them.

100,000-500,000 plays- you'll have heard of them before.

500,000-1,000,000 - should be ringing bells, and you'll recognise some tracks.

1,000,000-3,000,000 plays - famous

3,000,000-5,000,000 plays - realistically everyone has heard of them; obviously famous.

5,000,000-10,000,000 plays - if you've never heard of them you should be laughed at.

10,000,000 plays or more - realistically you should have heard their music unless you've had your head under a rock for all your life.

lol yeah. This determines whether you're "famous".

I can't classify P!nk. Most people have her under "Pink", which is a hold-all name for other artists. I have her under "P!nk", but she has like 400,000, which sounds wrong.

Sorry, thats slightly off topic.

Well Modest Mouse have over 17 million plays "scrobbled" and I'd hardly say they are a household name :)

For a short while 2 years ago they had the most listened to track on last.fm.

Float On is the name and it's a cracking tune, at the time it was them and Franz Ferdinand's Take Me Out that were the two most listened to tracks by last.fm users, it's actually how I discovered them :D

Yeah last.fm isn't really a good indication of what is popular because I'd say the vast majority of people don't use last.fm.

Plus some people will listen to one song over and over and over and over.

Still umm yay, buyouts?

When everyone says about the updating... they don't mean the time taken when you start listening to a song and when it is scrobbled do you? Because this is a default lengthy time to ensure people don't just listen to 10 seconds and then skip to build up a high listening rate for each artist, etc.

I don't know why people did this anyway... quite freaky...

They have posted a blog about it on the last.fm site

click here

as long as it doesn't affect the stat collection part then it doesn't really bother me :)

When everyone says about the updating... they don't mean the time taken when you start listening to a song and when it is scrobbled do you? Because this is a default lengthy time to ensure people don't just listen to 10 seconds and then skip to build up a high listening rate for each artist, etc.

I don't know why people did this anyway... quite freaky...

No, I think it's that each artist isn't instantly updated. I've been listening to Bjork and Regina Spektor pretty heavily recently, but the overall tracks scrobbled no. hasn't changed.

No, I think it's that each artist isn't instantly updated. I've been listening to Bjork and Regina Spektor pretty heavily recently, but the overall tracks scrobbled no. hasn't changed.

They update on Sundays don't they.

They update on Sundays don't they.

That's right. There you go again stealing my posts XD

But yeah, plays that are scrobbled don't reflect in weekly/alltime charts until the update, which takes place on a Sunday. They do show up on your recently played tracks though (Obviously).

140 mil? I bet the creators are happy with that, interesting stuff really! However, paranoia has struck and I have uninstalled it now, I dunno why really.

Sign in to follow this