N-Europe

Mac vs Windows

Jasper

Jesus. Dude. Please stop all that shit. Your post was going so well, apart from a few spelling mistakes.

I've had a mac for about 2 months so fail to see how i can be the greatest fanboy even if you were trying to be funny.

It's nothing personal, it's just started to annoy that you can't see to admit why Microsoft can't do good things either. Without Microsoft, Apple wouldn't even exist this very day anymore. They infused funds into Apple and therefore saved the company from a looming doom. So stop being so negative towards Microsoft and positive towards Apple. I like Macs better than Windows, but for a few things it's just great to have a windows machine, too.

I'm sorry if I sound offensive, but hey - if it's the only way to get through to your over-positive posts, then so be it.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's nothing personal, it's just started to annoy that you can't see to admit why Microsoft can't do good things either. Without Microsoft, Apple wouldn't even exist this very day anymore. They infused funds into Apple and therefore saved the company from a looming doom. So stop being so negative towards Microsoft and positive towards Apple. I like Macs better than Windows, but for a few things it's just great to have a windows machine, too.

I'm sorry if I sound offensive, but hey - if it's the only way to get through to your over-positive posts, then so be it.

I have posted good things about microsoft you narrow minded twit. I'm not blinkered enough to not see what M$ have done.

I'm not being overly positive by telling people that maybe a mac might be better suited to them in certain situations. And i have repeatedly said that if you know windows inside out then of course it's not really a good idea to switch to a totally different OS.

There was ZERO reason to mention my name in that post, and you've done that a few times now and other people are noticing that you are being a total tosser so stop.

You can't be too hard on the spelling he lives in Belgium I'm guessing English isn't their first language.

This was interesting: http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/06/08/1531234&from=rss

Yes, I'm not completely immune to spelling, actually (even DUtch is pretty hard on spelling, too) - but if I would take my time to double-read my post I'd get a lton out of there. I'm just not a patient man, actually. That's the only reason why my spelling shouldn't be good enough (we get English here, too, plus French, Dutch and some even German).

Takeo, don't take my words personally, I'm not trying to insult you, I'm trying to point out that saying 'naj' to everything Microsoft is just so predictable (and Yes, that's the impression I get from reading all your replies - seriously, you're the first one replying to someone posting an disadvanage of the macs). Ah, leave it be, it doesn't seem as if I'm getting through your Apple-fanboyskin anyway. I'm making those my last words aimed to you (at least for a while, untill you're so annoying that I'll have no choice but to aim my arrows of spelling at you).

On topic, though: I hadn't seen that Apple are the same market value as PC-competitors yet. But it's good news to know Apple's are mostly comparable in price. Thanks for the article post, Wes! (How do you find these things, anyway? You're a really patient man, apparantly)

I don't really do anything else but search for Apple and PC articles in favor of Apple. I am the real Steve Jobs.

No, I just have a couple of Slashdot RSS feeds. :)

EDIT: Which also reminds me, I wasn't sure if someone has mentioned this... but. The All Things D (http://allthingsd.com/) has Steven Jobs and Bill Gates sit and chat for a long time about their companies, technology, each other and what have you. A search for AllThingsD and their names on YouTube and on the official website will bring you some of the videos.

I don't really do anything else but search for Apple and PC articles in favor of Apple. I am the real Steve Jobs.

No, I just have a couple of Slashdot RSS feeds. :)

EDIT: Which also reminds me, I wasn't sure if someone has mentioned this... but. The All Things D (http://allthingsd.com/) has Steven Jobs and Bill Gates sit and chat for a long time about their companies, technology, each other and what have you. A search for AllThingsD and their names on YouTube and on the official website will bring you some of the videos.

Watched them the day it came out, quite interesting. It was strange how both of them have a good deal of respect for the other person, and their companies are doing similar things in really different ways.

For two companies who's user base seem to argue a lot (this thread is a good example I think) they got on quite well. Obviously, if they both acted like little babies arguing it wouldn't help either of them. But I did get a sense that they held genuine respect for each other and in a sense need each other.

For two companies who's user base seem to argue a lot (this thread is a good example I think) they got on quite well. Obviously, if they both acted like little babies arguing it wouldn't help either of them. But I did get a sense that they held genuine respect for each other and in a sense need each other.

Not in sense of need, in sense of PR. It's just so much better to act like the strong man. If you start insult instead of arguments, you're PR points go down with ten. But that happens if they have low EXP (but lucky, they both got high HP - okay, Microsoft has moist Coin).

You pay for everything you get on mac, off course. You pay for OS X as well as iLife, as well as those nice power adaptors with the lights in them. It's all in the little details. And then again, no regular consumer (and let's face it, we're fighting over the regular consumer) looks that much at specs - he doesn't know anything about it!

I don't think it is a fight over the regular consumer tbh. Despite the 'cool' advertising most Mac users are geeks, pure and simple. The Mac vs PC choice is moslty made by those with a good idea of what they are talking about; the rest either stay with their original OS or swap without realising there was much of a difference.

I do get that you pay for the design and build quality, but the premium for that on Mac desktops is sickening. I posted a spec or 2 in this thread that basically put Macs in at double the price of their PC counterpart!

I don't think it is a fight over the regular consumer tbh. Despite the 'cool' advertising most Mac users are geeks, pure and simple. The Mac vs PC choice is moslty made by those with a good idea of what they are talking about; the rest either stay with their original OS or swap without realising there was much of a difference.

I do get that you pay for the design and build quality, but the premium for that on Mac desktops is sickening. I posted a spec or 2 in this thread that basically put Macs in at double the price of their PC counterpart!

have you ever thought in the popposite direction? Maybe Dell and HP are charging below the prices they can ask for it and almost make zero profits. On the other hand, we all know that Apple hardware is pricier. Apple is the only company in the world that can afford to make their prices so high and lose nothing of income (they've even sold more the last few years than ever before). Apple's just in this luxorious position. Because in the end, people are buying macs.

But in my opinion the battle is over the regular consumer. Mostly because the non-regular consumer, the professional, has set it's mind on an OS anyway. it's about convincing the regular ones that macs make it easier for them them their boring Windows computers. And that's what the ads do.

A few more people i know are now wishing they have macs. Maybe the ads and such ARE working, also the high visibility of Apple stores must also be making people feel that if they do get a mac, they won't be as lost as maybe they are with windows at times.

The ads must be working by getting people into the apple stores, and giving them hands on, then people must be finding something worth paying that extra one or two hundred for in addition to the sexiest laptops on the planet.

You're losing your own battle Jasper, you go on about how immature it is to bash Windows at everytime and solemly defend macs, yet in every post you make you turn it into a dig at Takeo.

I guess you've stopped reading two posts ago.

My friend, this party is full of sour hatred. Leave before you get sucked into it like the rest of it.

Shut up, you're not worth anything! I hate hate you! I hate you! I HATE YOU!

Wait. That didn't happen in this thread yet, no? Ah well - we'll all share our Apple love and it has surprised me that the Windows-fans haven't given up on us just yet. There's never really any discussion about Windows here, no? Always Apple, shmapple. Macs, Shmac. Mac OS X. Shma... okay, that one doesn't work that way.

have you ever thought in the popposite direction? Maybe Dell and HP are charging below the prices they can ask for it and almost make zero profits. On the other hand, we all know that Apple hardware is pricier. Apple is the only company in the world that can afford to make their prices so high and lose nothing of income (they've even sold more the last few years than ever before). Apple's just in this luxorious position. Because in the end, people are buying macs.

But in my opinion the battle is over the regular consumer. Mostly because the non-regular consumer, the professional, has set it's mind on an OS anyway. it's about convincing the regular ones that macs make it easier for them them their boring Windows computers. And that's what the ads do.

Good post.

I'm not anti-Apple. I'm even considering OS X for my next laptop but someone needs to argue the other side

Dell et all are underpriced, but that comes from competition, something that i think OS X (not Apple) could do with

It would be a good thing for the OS; it'd lower prices and increase visibility. The user base would increase a lot quicker and it would sort problems with hardware compatibility and upgradibility

From Apples perspective though this would loose them a lot of money in hardware sales; they have a monopoly at the moment and can set prices wherever they like.

I think Apple's official line would be that they know that there OS works well on their selected hardware (use of mouse, remote, etc.) and it would degrade the user experience to place their OS on other hardware.

Of course this translates into: "We'd lose a fuck-ton of money and you might see someone using our OS on a computer that doesn't look cool."

I think Apple's official line would be that they know that there OS works well on their selected hardware (use of mouse, remote, etc.) and it would degrade the user experience to place their OS on other hardware.

Of course this translates into: "We'd lose a fuck-ton of money and you might see someone using our OS on a computer that doesn't look cool."

not to mention you couldn't use it on a PC laptop even if it were possible because it wouldn't have an apple keybord