NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Jasper

Mac vs Windows

I would advice you to read between the lines every once in a while to see what I mean and not what I literally say.

Why don't you just post what you mean then. Instead of trying to be a smart arse all the time?

Might make the discussions a lot easier to follow for some people.

And, off course, Windows Media Player can do much more than iTunes - it can play DVD's,, AVI's, WMV's, music, rip, burn

The reason Windows Media Player does more than iTunes is that iTunes is jukebox software, and Windows Media Player is is a Media Player. iTunes is jukebox, it's purpose in life to organize and sell you your music and videos.

The reason Windows Media Player does more than iTunes is that iTunes is jukebox software, and Windows Media Player is is a Media Player. iTunes is jukebox, it's purpose in life to organize and sell you your music and videos.

And so you have said exactly what I meant - my God, you people are quite the smart bunch! Alas, because of that reason Microsoft is in for the Windows N editions and the reason why macs aren't.

Alas, because of that reason Microsoft is in for the Windows N editions and the reason why macs aren't.

say again?

say again?

That Windows has the N edition (you know, the ones without Windows media Player (to give people the options) so they can evade any fines from the EU trade commission again) because of the versatility of Windows Media Player - acting differently from a jukebox software like iTunes. Therefore, it was to dangerous to include it for the sake of monopoly. Good, no? As if God himself has savaged the ways of Microsoft. As if God interferes with microsoft's evil and malicious plans to take over the world and govern al leprechauns....

Wait! I wasn't supposed to tell this...

I have an iMac OSX or something for fun.

*silence*

*attempts to leave as if the awkward silence never happened*

That Windows has the N edition (you know, the ones without Windows media Player (to give people the options) so they can evade any fines from the EU trade commission again) because of the versatility of Windows Media Player - acting differently from a jukebox software like iTunes. Therefore, it was to dangerous to include it for the sake of monopoly. Good, no? As if God himself has savaged the ways of Microsoft. As if God interferes with microsoft's evil and malicious plans to take over the world and govern al leprechauns....

Wait! I wasn't supposed to tell this...

No i didn't know, i don't happen to keep tabs on what M$ is doing as it's not usually anything interesting or that will work right away-even when i was an XP user.

To be fair mr jasper man, the way your portray yourself makes you seem like a bit of an arrogant tit at times.

To be fair mr jasper man, the way your portray yourself makes you seem like a bit of an arrogant tit at times.

Sometimes you need to appear arrogant if you want to make your point. But don't be afraid, I'm all but the arrogant person in real.

To be fair, Microsoft didn't produce the N edition to evade any EU fines, they produced them because the EU ordered them to do so on top of the fines they imposed.

Of topic i know but I've always thought the ruling was pathetic anyway, if you buy Windows as an operating system you want to be able to access all the major kinds of files out of the box without having to install extra software so why not include Media Player? Apple guys enjoy the fact that an apple "just works" right out of the box but some say Microsoft are being anti-competitive when Microsoft attempt to do something similar themselves.

Another angle on this is to consider what happens when you buy a car with a stereo system inbuilt, is that anti-competitive to all the other makers of stereo systems?

Does anyone actually buy the N version anyway? I can't see why anyone would.

Does anyone actually buy the N version anyway? I can't see why anyone would.

Microsoft knows nobody will buy them, so just see the N editions as a theoretical circumvent for evading future fines from the European commission.

I think the major difference is in what the OS-es are and offer. if you buy an Apple computer, you're buying a all-in-one OS. Out of the box, so to speak. If you buy a Windows computer should be able to modify. I think that there's a difference. If I buy any computer I have no other choice but running windows and get the software with it that microsoft provides, but because you have no choice - wich means you will have Medie Player - it's not fair for other developers. If you buy a Mac computer - and only if you buy a mac - you get OSX with the out-of-the-box applications. You choose for a mac computer and you choose for MacOS X and you choose for iTunes. With any other computer, your practically have to pick windows and therefore it isn't fair.

That's what I think (after thinking it through)...

i don't happen to keep tabs on what M$ is doing

So why the hell are you in this thread then? Its a discussion thread about the merits of Macs and PCs, if the only thing you have to contribute is ignorant fanboyism then please make you're way back to the Mac Thread and stay there

I love the way this threead has gone. So much for an intelligent debate :D

So why the hell are you in this thread then? Its a discussion thread about the merits of Macs and PCs, if the only thing you have to contribute is ignorant fanboyism then please make you're way back to the Mac Thread and stay there

I've been using Windows for all of my life up until 6 weeks ago, i looked long and hard at vista and xp and mac OS X during the run up to replacing my now dead laptop. I'm anything but an ignorant fanboy especially as, like i said, tomorrow shall by 6 weeks since i got one. So my opinion happens to be rather valid in this discussion.

My comment meant that i'm not that in touch with EVERYTHING that microsoft do and release in terms of windows things that won't affect me. so :heh:

I've been using Windows for all of my life up until 6 weeks ago, i looked long and hard at vista and xp and mac OS X during the run up to replacing my now dead laptop. I'm anything but an ignorant fanboy especially as, like i said, tomorrow shall by 6 weeks since i got one. So my opinion happens to be rather valid in this discussion.

My comment meant that i'm not that in touch with EVERYTHING that microsoft do and release in terms of windows things that won't affect me. so :heh:

But what I've been trying to tell you all along is that Microsoft has some good stuff out there, too. You do sound a little fanboyish every once in a while (god, you even seem to count the days that have passed since you own your apple). I think what he meant was that every once in a while you should stop shouting boo at Microsoft and see what they do get right. And what Apple gets wrong. And sometimes you appear to have trouble with that, Takeo. (no offense, I'm just trying to be honest here and it's not meant in any bad, arrogant, way)

But what I've been trying to tell you all along is that Microsoft has some good stuff out there, too. You do sound a little fanboyish every once in a while (god, you even seem to count the days that have passed since you own your apple). I think what he meant was that every once in a while you should stop shouting boo at Microsoft and see what they do get right. And what Apple gets wrong. And sometimes you appear to have trouble with that, Takeo. (no offense, I'm just trying to be honest here and it's not meant in any bad, arrogant, way)

I wasn't even saying anything negative about Microsoft. I know the days because my student loan happened to come into my account that day and it was also the first day back to uni from the easter holidays.

vista rocks. My pc (with 1 gig ram) runs faster that it did on XP (which is the worst operating system ever.)

No comment on Mac because I have only ever used it in pcworld to take random/funny as hell pics with my mates.

vista rocks. My pc (with 1 gig ram) runs faster that it did on XP (which is the worst operating system ever.)

No comment on Mac because I have only ever used it in pcworld to take random/funny as hell pics with my mates.

Like the one in your avatar mate? :P

anyways, yeah my Pc runs faster now with Vista in it, though I still need mac for me college needs.

Like the one in your avatar mate? :P

anyways, yeah my Pc runs faster now with Vista in it, though I still need mac for me college needs.

I never knew you were on Vista . . .

Well, it's taking things on just a few ways - there's so much more to say about both operating systems. one thing that wasn't mentioned is that you have to chuck out half a grand more for running MacOS X. I don't think everyone is willing to pay, just for design.

Well, it's taking things on just a few ways - there's so much more to say about both operating systems. one thing that wasn't mentioned is that you have to chuck out half a grand more for running MacOS X. I don't think everyone is willing to pay, just for design.

£500? :o

When i was checking round a couple months ago the price difference was about £150 ish max on the laptops.

Sign in to follow this