NEurope
Smiter

Rygar: The Battle of Argus

Don't they have higher resolution textures.. look at that floor!

Well its a Ps2 game after all.. but damn! I like the new character and i hope the original one is included!

nah leave the original character out he looked more Goofey i like this one way more only they should do something about the Background damn thats ugly Developers have to look closely at the games from nintendo graphics like Mario galacy metroid smashbros thats wat i want to see not a PS2 with a new character in it :S

This seems to have some rendering problems (as in the need for AA hurts) but that could always be the result of bad screens not a bad game. Wanna read some hands on impressions dammit.

Looks pretty fun, at the same time a bit empty and boring, much like Soul Calibur Legends. Screens are bad too.

Just watched the trailer, and the graphics left my jaw dropping. I'm proper confused like, the screenshots in this thread are horrific but that trailer was just wow.

Definitely gone onto my must buy list, that trailer just looked incredible. It feel almost like those screenshots are from the ps2 game, and the trailer was the Wii version :p.

Wheres the trailer? The game looks like an alright attempt graphics wise, this should really be the base level of visuals for any developers attempting this sort of game.

Wheres the trailer? The game looks like an alright attempt graphics wise, this should really be the base level of visuals for any developers attempting this sort of game.

It's on IGN.

These screenshots do absolutely no justice to how awesome they look in motion. IGN had alot of praise for the game in their hands-on.

Looking good. LOL.

The game looks alot better in motion, check out the trailer on IGN.

Is this a Prince of Persia style? :S
Somewhat; but prince of persia (at least if we're going by Sands of Time) is more... rational and has a little bit of exploration, this one in the vein of God of War. (in fact, Rygar is assumed to have been as a big influence in God of War)

New interview:

Adam Riley: To start with, why did you choose to update Rygar from the PS2 on Nintendo’s Wii?

Keisuke Kikuchi: Last year I developed “Pangya! Golf with Style†for Wii and what I felt during its development was that it is quite fun but difficult to design a game for the Wii remote. When I was thinking what sort of game would be the best for the Wii remote, I came up with Diskarmor from Rygar. It is not a sword, nor a gun. You use it like a Yo-yo to defeat enemies and conquer various stages. I thought that would enhance the action performance of Rygar progressively, so I decided to develop it.

AR: When are you aiming to release the game, and is Tecmo likely to team with Nintendo again as it did with Pangya for a European release?

KK: I cannot tell you the release date until I see the completion of satisfactory swing actions in sight. We are negotiating with several European publishers that are very much interested in this title and can also maximise the sales potential. It would be great if Nintendo would be the one.

AR: What sort of feedback have you received from the recent showing of the game at the Tokyo Games Show?

KK: I heard the same comment from various people including editors from North America after they saw the trailer. They all said, “It looks really cool and fun. I want to try the playable now!†I believe you will never understand the appeal of Wii games unless you actually swing the Wii remote, so I would like to complete the playable version as soon as possible.

AR: How long has the project been in development and have there been any particular problems faced during the development process? Or even any positive surprises from working with Wii?

KK: I started developing Rygar half a year ago. It has been taking time to build the graphic system for Wii. It happens to me every time I develop a Wii game, but, a new idea of a game comes into my mind while I’m swinging the Wii remote. Actually I came up with the idea of Rygar while I was developing Pangya, and then I hit on another action game during the development of Rygar.

AR: How will the Wii’s motion control set-up be used in Battle of Argus and will players be able to use the Classic Controller or a GameCube pad if they prefer more traditional controls?

KK: Rygar is compatible only with the Wii remote because the Wii remote is indispensable to achieve the concept of Rygar that is “to feel actionâ€. Players need to change the way they swing, depending on the game mode. By swinging the Wii remote horizontally, vertically, or pushing a button while swinging it, player can change the way of an attack. In Gladiator Mode, swing speed is directly reflected to the power of an attack. Therefore powerful play is required.

AR: Can you please clarify for our readers just how in-depth this remake will be? Many are worried that if they have played the PS2 version they will not need to buy the Wii edition.

KK: We evolved the game by updating the design of the main character, adding new characters and adjusting the location of enemies while the stages and the story line are taken over from the prequel. Those changes are made to revive Rygar as a more powerful game and now every element is designed for players to enjoy Wii remote actions the most comfortably.

For example, main character’s colour in the previous title was orange to match with the background in order to highlight its world-view. This time we have chosen white and silver so that people can distinguish him easily from the background. Moreover, players can see the direct effect of their Wii remote operation with the character’s actions clearly.

In the prequel, lots of small enemies come at you. This time, we have prepared human-shaped enemies and larger enemies for players to enjoy the feel of attacks and the impact visually. I want anyone who has complaints about the actions of the PS2 version to try this one.

AR: Can you explain what Gladiator Mode is all about, please?

KK: It is a game mode that focuses on battles that are the essence of this game. The rule is players beat enemies in each stage and move on to another stage. That sounds pretty simple but since players’ swing speed directly affects the power of attacks, their physical energy will be tested. Players compete with their scores obtained by fighting battles skilfully.

AR: How long is the game likely to last and will there be anything included in terms of extras to unlock?

KK: While we have cut down the travel time between maps and assigned more time for battles because Wii remote is used. So, the total time including Conquest Mode, where you follow the storyline, is same as the prequel, so consequently, it will get longer by the time for Gladiator Mode. We have not determined about the unlockable elements yet.

AR: For all those fans eager for more Rygar on their Nintendo systems, would you consider bringing a new sequel to Wii or even a potential remake of the NES game?

KK: The series of Rygar is one of the most important games for TECMO. Therefore, there might be other variations for them later on, but right now I would like to develop it one by one carefully.

AR: We have already seen other Tecmo classics appear on the Virtual Console, but how about Rygar from the NES – is it something we are likely to see in the future?

KK: There is a possibility, but nothing is decided yet.

AR: And what are your thoughts on developing something new for the WiiWare download service?

KK: I am totally excited about it because I think I can provide you many challenging games through it. Right now, I am occupied with various new titles, yet personally I would like to do it sometime.

AR: Off-topic, can you tell us when we are likely to hear more details about the Fatal Frame Wii project?

KK: Regarding Fatal Frame, I’ve been receiving many requests for the sequel from people in various countries. I appreciate such voices. However, I have no information to tell you now. To me, this series is very important and precious. I hope you guys will give me some time.

AR: Finally, what games have caught your attention recently?

KK: Mario Galaxy and Resident Evil 5. In the case of Mario Galaxy, I’m interested in how they utilised the functions of the Wii remote in the game. As for Resident Evil 5, I’m interested in how they utilise the uniqueness of PS3 and Xbox 360 in terms of expression. I’m looking forward to their release because both of them are great titles.

Source: http://www.cubed3.com/news/9065/1/Rygar:_Battle_of_Argus_(Nintendo_Wii)

Another interview:

Since it's based on the PS2 version, what was the thought behind remaking this game? Was it thought that the Wii has a different, broader audience comprised of users who may not have played the original version?

KK: The world we created for Rygar PS2 was very well accepted. Maybe the action part of the game, some people weren't too excited about it. And the fact that we had way too many worms to kill throughout the game, that wasn't a very popular feature. So, this time of course we are adding new, bigger enemies, and so forth, to mend that problem.

The people who weren't quite satisfied with the action part of the game on the previous version, we want them to enjoy this game [with] the new control. And then, of course, we will have the Wii customer base who have not tried this game -- we would like to go after them as well. But the important thing is that we want to turn this into a series again, so that this game is just a stepping-stone to the next Rygar.

When it comes to the reception of the original game, you said that you took into account the fact that people didn't like the some of the enemies. Is there anything else that you learned and then were able to change in order to improve the game?

KK: As you can see, of course, the new enemies are more like humans. The worms now look like knights. They're taller and bigger than the main character. But the enemies who are carrying Diskarmor-like weapons are the same size as the main character, but they move faster, and they use the weapon to attack back. And, of course, I think that attacking and killing human-based enemies is a lot more satisfying than killing a bunch of little worms. So that's the direction of the enemies.

When it comes to developing a game for the Wii, using the remote as the primary means of attack, what kind of challenges have you faced and overcome in making the game feel really good to play -- so that the user doesn't get tired of swinging the remote too much?

KK: That's precisely the issue that I've been working on, because Conquest Mode -- story mode -- tends to be long enough that you get tired of the same motions. What we're trying to do is give the control more variation; so it's a combination of swinging, directional [movement] and then also the button A and button B, so that we've got more variations.

So hopefully you don't get tired of it. Now, Gladiator Mode, it measures the speed of the controller and reflects that as increased power for the attacks. So that's a little different; something that you'll wanna keep on trying, because faster speed will give you a more powerful blow. We're just trying to do things like that, to take care of the potential problem.

It seems as if most of the Wii titles target a younger or more casual audience -- who do you think the audience for this title is?

KK: I think definitely this game is slightly geared more toward hardcore gamers. Not too hardcore, but more toward a hardcore audience. When you look at the user profile of the Wii system, they tend to cater more to casual type of people that tend to enjoy Zelda and that kind of thing. (eh?)

I'm thinking that there is a hardcore position here, then Zelda-casual, and we should be somewhere in the middle. Now, there are a lot of Wii games that use the Wii controller as a sword. A more direct type of thing where you chop. I think this is the first time that the Wii controller is used for a yo-yo-like Diskarmor weapon, where you do this [demonstrating motion], then the disk projectile comes out.

That sensation, that feeling should be very unique and very fresh. We are very much focused on creating a new way to utilize the controller.

How does developing an action-adventure game on the Wii differ from from developing on a traditional console, and are there key things you need to keep in mind?

KK: This doesn't just apply to action-adventure games -- it applies to pretty much any kind of game -- I see a lot of games are being destroyed just because they try to force the Wii controller to the existing game. It's not working together. They think that just because they have to use the Wii controller, they'll force it into the game concept, thus destroying the game concept.

When you see a game using the controller to do something -- shaking it, or whatever -- it becomes just a mechanical routine, and it's not fun. The key is to somehow make the Wii controller more based on instinct, not mechanical procedure. So what I tried to do is start here and build the appropriate game concept around it, instead of going the other way.

Source: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=16050

Wow, this almost looks like they care... as if a developer has actually taken time over the look of a Wii game! Seriously though, looking good, I thought this had disappeared!

So awesome. I just love when PS2 games (released in 2002) are ported to Wii and scheduled to be released in 2009. And better yet, awesome patented blob shadows!