NEurope
darthbane2k

Square Enix SNUBS Wii

I'll tell you something... FF XIII was initially planned for PS2.

It only went to PS3 for the obvious reasons, because it was the PS2 follow-up and Square felt PS2 was dying, so they wouldn't release a game for a falling console. Even Capcom is porting games like Devil Kings 2 for Wii not because of Wii support but because they feel the game won't sell on Ps2 anymore.

One year ago... PS3 was the right choice to make, the obvious one, if they announced it for Wii it would be like playing poker and betting on the underdog.

Same for Last Renmant, it's obvious the game started development more than 6 months ago to be shown now, and Wii is on the market since 5 months ago. Is that so hard to get?

No one was expecting Wii would succeed like this, so they don't have software ready.

Yes, chocobo and FFCC were the games Square had initially planned for Wii and the ones they're ready to announce now, that doesn't mean they won't do more (if they aren't doing or planning more as we speak), or they'll keep away of doing epic games for it, they'll develop for where the money is since they're independent; DS and PS2 aren't the most powerful systems around; "oh no, we don't want to make a epic game for this platform because it lacks power" my ass. (and it would be a more understandable thing to do with DS than with Wii)

It just means they were gotten by surprise just like everyone, and developing good software takes time. Don't overeact.

Ah man Pedro that was one mighty fine post, I can only hope that since the next Kingdom Hearts is very early into development that it goes multi-platform like 'The Last Remnant' or is on the Wii.

I really don't want it to be on a handheld though like Parasite Eve, Kingdom Hearts doesn't deserve to have a full-fledged sequel on an inferior platform.

Ah man Pedro that was one mighty fine post, I can only hope that since the next Kingdom Hearts is very early into development that it goes multi-platform like 'The Last Remnant' or is on the Wii.

I really don't want it to be on a handheld though like Parasite Eve, Kingdom Hearts doesn't deserve to have a full-fledged sequel on an inferior platform.

Personally I like the KH franchise more than the FF one. I enjoy FF games dont get me wrong but I like having a continuing story with characters that you learn to love.

This whole post is implying that the Wii could handle those 2 games which i still dont agree with. If thats true, its not too late for them to announce Wii versions of either. Square-Enix is using UE3 for Last Remnant which Wii apparently can't handle. Its as simple as that really.
That's not what I'm discussing actually, and if you check this thread I was the first to say that about UE3; still, graphics could be at least close if Squaresoft focused on Wii alone and started from scratch without UE3.

What I'm saying is, Square could go for it on Wii, sure they'd be a little diferent, graphically and even gameplay wise; but... there's not "that much" of a big limitation where they couldn't try to achieve this on the Wii (just like there wasn't a clear limitation for Square-Enix to try stuff on the PS2), thing is these game have been in development for some time, before Wii's launch.

FFXIII on Wii wouldn't have some bells and whistles like HD and such, but it would still be a mile better than FFXIII on PS2, and truth is it could have happened on PS2.

Could PS2 handle FFXIII? not as it is now, surely.

I'd rather have it on the Wii since if it goes multiplatform there won't be a Wii version, between PS3 and X360 you can do a cross platform kind of thing, but you'd need a extra team solely for Wii; and you'd have a pretty hard time keeping up with the others visually.

Still, if the game was to be PS3 exclusive, multi-platform is a pretty good bet now. It's still more feasible to be PS3 exclusive than X360 exclusive though (not to say out of the map, even).

I don't mind a portable Kingdom Hearts, like chain of memories, and I'd prefer it on the inferior NDS to PSP... but surely a spin-off, and not KH3.

As for Parasite Eve... what were they thinking, it should at least be a spin-off not PE3 :/

What I'm saying is, Square could go for it on Wii, sure they'd be a little diferent, graphically and even gameplay wise

Oh most definately, the same way theyre doing DQ9 with the DS. In a few years the Wii userbase should all but guarantee it. Having said that though, i wouldnt want them to go Wii exclusive with their big games. I like seeing what they can wring out of the 360 and PS3 too

Oh most definately, the same way theyre doing DQ9 with the DS. In a few years the Wii userbase should all but guarantee it. Having said that though, i wouldnt want them to go Wii exclusive with their big games. I like seeing what they can wring out of the 360 and PS3 too
Hmmm, yeah, but DS is really weak, and that's a limitation, I don't believe in those kinds of limitations on the Wii.

As for going exclusive with their big games, it depends on the money involved, they've gone DQ9 on DS for example, and the sole reason for that is because they'll sell better there.

Because I like Nintendo and because I believe in my platform (and own one), I'd rather have them focus on it; it's less powerful, but it's still powerful enough; I won't be unreasonable though, Last Renmant would be possible on Wii if started from scratch for it, same for FFXIII, but that isn't the case and it won't change now.

I belive Square would have more things to show for Wii if they knew before hand it would do so well worldwide. Just like Capcom and others, they're just really now jumping on the bandwagon, and having a product ready under those conditions takes time.

But I hope Square-Enix goes down that path on Wii later on (realistic/epic games), it's possible and it should be done.

I can't help but think that if the market share development stays as it is, FFXIV will be a Wii game.

I can't help but think that if the market share development stays as it is, FFXIV will be a Wii game.

Nintendo need to pour more non-games out there for the Wii to secure a healthy market share, then we'll probably get FFXIV. (In about 5 years though since the XIII project is so big :heh:)

What really intrests me is how things are gonna turn out this Christmas, there are gonna be mega gaming Blockbusters (Halo 3, MGS4, Brawl) on all consoles so it's hard to predict who's gonna come out victorious.

Nintendo need to pour more non-games out there for the Wii to secure a healthy market share, then we'll probably get FFXIV. (In about 5 years though since the XIII project is so big :heh:)
Not necessarily, look at FFXI online, expansions are still coming up but FFXII is already out, and FFXIII will follow. There's also the FF7 spin-offs being made after all these years, FFXIII could have a plan like that. (with the variation that FF7 spin-offs weren't initially planned but they are planned for this one)

I wouldn't be surprised if they announce and release FFXIV before the end of the FFXIII spinoffs.

Just one possible outcome though, but I find it a possible one.

I don't know about that... Two months ago I'd agree with you, but look at the situation now - what the hell is selling the Wii? It's only pack-in game Wii Sports that's a major seller for the mainstream; a vast percentage of the Wii destroying the 360 and PS3 sales just because of Wii Sports. That means Nintendo has been living of Wii Sports for six months and it's not likely to wear off seeing how Nintendo is still advertising ancient games like Brain Training (I assume that's for a reason). If there's a Nintendogs somewhere next year, I expect sales to keep on coming.

With Nintendo's conquering of the Japanese market, many Japanese developers are likely to choose the Wii (or DS) as primary platform; Namco actually announced it already.

Personally I see it as a given that one of the Fabula Nova Crystalis games will be for the Wii. For one thing, the whole idea of this '10-year franchise' approach seems like an obvious excuse for Square-Enix to experiment with different genres and platforms whilst still being able to say, "No, no, this isn't XIV."

I'm just sort of thinking out loud here, but I don't see any reason why S-E couldn't go back to using pre-rendered backdrops for a Wii game. REmake's animated environments are (literally) years ahead of what we saw during PlayStation era Final Fantasy games, and the shift to full 3D hasn't really changed the series other than aesthetically. So long as the battle system made good use of the Wiimote — and contained a less effective automatic mode for those that still prefer the hands-off approach, the bums — I see no reason why we couldn't see 'epic' Square-Enix games on the Wii.

I'm just sort of thinking out loud here, but I don't see any reason why S-E couldn't go back to using pre-rendered backdrops for a Wii game. REmake's animated environments are (literally) years ahead of what we saw during PlayStation era Final Fantasy games, and the shift to full 3D hasn't really changed the series other than aesthetically. So long as the battle system made good use of the Wiimote — and contained a less effective automatic mode for those that still prefer the hands-off approach, the bums — I see no reason why we couldn't see 'epic' Square-Enix games on the Wii.

If the Gameplay on the Wii game is a turn-based batteling like old Final Fantasies where you warp out of the environment for battels then sure that could happen.

Anything like FFXII or an Action RPG would need a 3D environment for the gameplay to work.

I don't think Wii is so limited they'd have to go into pre-rendered backdrops for a game. That would be a severe step back, and a step back they weren't obliged to do even in PS2. (and even on PSP for FFVII crisis core, and NDS FF remakes), doing it on Wii would require a attitude like "lets do a inferior game for inferior fans" or something.

I wouldn't like that idea at all, getting that for a FF, it would feel like getting the short end of the stick, no multiplatform gamer would want to play ours primarily like that, and we'd still be "jealous" of how much better the other versions would be in comparison to ours.

That doesn't have to happen and I'd be pissed if they even consider it for a game made to make up for FFXIII.

Anything like FFXII or an Action RPG would need a 3D environment for the gameplay to work.

Why? Secret of Mana isn't 3D, nor is Revenant Wings, and would Crystal Chronicles (GC) really be a different game if its environments weren't full 3D?

I'm not trying to rubbish your point, as from what we've seen of more contemporary titles fully 3D environments would suite those systems better, but I hardly think they're an impossible match for pre-rendered environments. I'm not a technology buff so maybe someone can set me straight on this, but surely it's possible to have less static pre-renders these days; think REmake's animated environments but with subtle panning and zoom applied.

I don't think Wii is so limited they'd have to go into pre-rendered backdrops for a game. That would be a severe step back, and a step back they weren't obliged to do even in PS2. (and even on PSP for FFVII crisis core, and NDS FF remakes), doing it on Wii would require a attitude like "lets do a inferior game for inferior fans" or something.

That isn't what I'm suggesting at all. I'm not saying the Wii isn't capable of outdoing FFXII's 3D environments, it's just that pre-rendered could work really well if done right. Four Swords Aventures is ostensibly a 2D game, but the graphical effects added and subtle ebb and flow of the camera shows how beautiful modern day games can look if done correctly in two dimensions — look at the lushness of Odin Sphere, too.

Pre-rendered backdrops were used because environments couldn't be modeled in full 3D at the time, I know that, but I don't think it's necessarily "a severe step back" if the technique is brought up to date. I fully admit I don't know all the limitations that still manacle pre-renders, but I assume we can do a lot more with them these days then we could in the past.

This wasn't supposed to be any sort of dig at the Wii's relative weakness to the PS3 or 360, it's just that rather than making a fully 3D game for the sake of it, why not update older techniques to make something that really stands out?

To be honest, the voracity with which you dismissed the very idea makes me a little sad, as it's exactly the same response that people have towards making a modern day 2D game — we could have interactive Disney movies, but instead we're forced to wade through muddy textures.

Why? Secret of Mana isn't 3D, nor is Revenant Wings, and would Crystal Chronicles (GC) really be a different game if its environments weren't full 3D?

Final Fantasy XII gameplay relies on a 3D environment because all the fighting is now in real-time, the monsters now roam the world you walk through, there's no loading out of the world anymore and I'm sure future Final Fantasies will use this new gameplay since it worked pretty well, I really think this gameplay would not work in a pre-rendered environment.

Nearly all the ARPGs I can think of use 3D environments, Kingdom Hearts, Zelda, Sudeki and even GTA: San Adreas, those games would not work with pre-rendered environments, I think the main reason is because ARPGs use 3D cameras, something not possible in pre-rendered games.

As for the examples you gave, Secret of Mana couldn't be made in 3D at the time so it was made to work with the 2D graphics it had to use.

Revenant Wings is sort of like a real time strategy game, like FF Tactics so it can still use a pre-rendered environment and work well, I said something like FFXII (Revenant Wings is suprisingly different in Gameplay) or an ARPG would need 3D world.

Fair enough with Crystal Chronicles although I thought the environments might as well have been pre-rendered considering that the camera was always fixed above the character you played as.

I'm not trying to rubbish your point, as from what we've seen of more contemporary titles fully 3D environments would suite those systems better, but I hardly think they're an impossible match for pre-rendered environments. I'm not a technology buff so maybe someone can set me straight on this, but surely it's possible to have less static pre-renders these days; think REmake's animated environments but with subtle panning and zoom applied.

Revenant Wings uses 3D actually, you can notice the nearest neighbour filtering in there:

ffrw03.jpg

ffrw09.jpg

54231020070126_183624_5_big.jpg

(^ same envyroment) Very, very clever 3D use.

That isn't what I'm suggesting at all. I'm not saying the Wii isn't capable of outdoing FFXII's 3D environments, it's just that pre-rendered could work really well if done right. Four Swords Aventures is ostensibly a 2D game, but the graphical effects added and subtle ebb and flow of the camera shows how beautiful modern day games can look if done correctly in two dimensions — look at the lushness of Odin Sphere, too.

Pre-rendered backdrops were used because environments couldn't be modeled in full 3D at the time, I know that, but I don't think it's necessarily "a severe step back" if the technique is brought up to date. I fully admit I don't know all the limitations that still manacle pre-renders, but I assume we can do a lot more with them these days then we could in the past.

This wasn't supposed to be any sort of dig at the Wii's relative weakness to the PS3 or 360, it's just that rather than making a fully 3D game for the sake of it, why not update older techniques to make something that really stands out?

To be honest, the voracity with which you dismissed the very idea makes me a little sad, as it's exactly the same response that people have towards making a modern day 2D game — we could have interactive Disney movies, but instead we're forced to wade through muddy textures.

I know you aren't implying that, but that's the outcome I feel would come from that.

Pre-rendered backdrops would be even updated further in a HD console proving they'd be in High Definition now, so why updating it on the Wii? like I said, getting the short end of the stick. and it would be nothing GC, Xbox and PS2 couldn't have done.

Talking about limitations by todays standards is relative. in-game FF XIII character models are not that much better than RE4's.

Four Swords Adventures was sold at budget price at launch for a reason, and by no means GC's maximum power, let alone Wii's. I don't care how good it looks, if I'm just getting a Final Fantasy, it's obviously what I want. Similar to the fact that nobody would want Four Swords instead of WW and TP.

About "not supposed to be any sort of dig at the Wii's relative weakness to the PS3 or 360"...

That's precisely that, going that path would be like admiting that starting from the drawing table, and like said, they have no reason to conclude that, Wii has a good fillrate and can output a lot of polygons, going pre-rendered for a low budget title, sure, a remake (from a originally pre-rendered game)... sure; but for a major title would be taking the piss.

As for my response... that's like if Sega (for example) did a 3D sonic for all other platforms and made a updated 2D one for Wii to "make up for it".

Sure 2D sonic's are great and all.... But what would be the image that would give out? Wii alread has the fame of being inferior, we don't need developers not even trying and deciding that on their own in the drawing board. It's lack of ambition, and Wii is a 3D console just like every one else in the market.

If PS3/X360 versions where 2D or pre-rendered too it's okay, but not a "inferior for Wii" kind of project.

It's a open wound if you want, but a understandable one, Wii is the one who has the most to prove on that front, and the one where developers have been trying less.

Hmmmmmmmm, fan boy.

I would call myself more of an ex disgruntled nintendo fan.

Not wanting to flame or anything, but was exactly the kind of person I knew you were and most people are. They're just Nintendo fanboys that can't accept that Nintendo went with their own path. So instead of liking Nintendo for what they do, like me, you try to like what they do because it's Nintendo, but in the end, what you want is what the other consoles offer, so you end up whining. Instead of that what you should be doing is simply buying what you want and stop bitching. There are plenty of 360 fans here and they aren't always complaining about this and that. It's a point that's hard to get across, but it's exactly where most of the Nintedo "hate" comes from, from their own fans. Anyway, like I said, not insulting you or anything.

Also, I highly doubt we won't see some form of FFXIII in Wii with so many FFs.

[Long post]

Like I said, I wasn't trying to rubbish your point. I agree that judging from contemporary titles 3D environments work better, but if a game was designed from the ground up as using pre-rendered backgrounds I don't think it would really be an issue. I mean Onimusha used static backgrounds, and that was a fairly fast-paced hack'n'slash.

I would disagree with Final Fantasy XII requiring a 3D world, as the gameplay is actual pretty close to the old isometric Diablo-esque dungeon crawlers of old. Yes it works very well as it is, but if the design brief had included using pre-rendered backgrounds I'm sure they could have made it work.

I'm not trying to champion pre-rendering as the future of gaming or anything, I'm saying that just as REmake and Zero feature environments so far in advance of Final Fantasy VII, surely with today's technological advancements we could see backgrounds that pan, zoom, and are full of life. Final Fantasy XII looks lovely, and I've no doubt Square-Enix could improve upon it for the Wii, I was just pondering out loud over whether a shift to up-to-date static environments would really hurt the game.

I don't seriously think Square-Enix would go down the pre-rendered route, as no doubt millions of gamers would all moan about it, but I'm just tired of the ethos of 3D for the sake of 3D. It's a product of the 'console wars', just like the abandoning of 2D, and whilst I accept that as long as the childish bickering and oneupmanship guides the industry it's unlikely the mindset will change, it doesn't make it any less of a crying shame. I still hope the Wii's relative lack of power to the alternatives will inspire companies to capitalise on its limitations rather than half heartedly pushing against them, but perhaps I'm putting too much faith in a juvenile medium.

They're just Nintendo fanboys that can't accept that Nintendo went with their own path. So instead of liking Nintendo for what they do, like me, you try to like what they do because it's Nintendo, but in the end, what you want is what the other consoles offer, so you end up whining.

In all fairness I'm exactly like immy, I used to be a hardcore Ninty Fanboy, I said real pathetic stuff about other consoles because Nintendo gave me what I wanted and it was good.

But then the DS and the Wii came along and suddenly the hardcore fan base is meant to accept this massive change? We didn't ask for it, we didn't even know it was coming, and now we either have to enjoy both Nintendo's real games and non-games or feel resentful because Nintendo are making less of the quality games we've known and loved for decades.

I went down the resentful path because I hated the non-games and I felt like Nintendo didn't care about gamers like me anymore because they had changed to appeal to the mass audience for success, which is very true, and a lot of the real-games Nintendo have tried on the DS and Wii just feel wierd (Star Fox feels like Advance Wars with Dog Fighting) and a lot of them just plain suck in different ways (MPH, Excite Truck).

So now I own many consoles to satisfy my other gaming needs and so I feel less resentful towards Nintendo, and hopefully looking on the horizon at Galaxy, Brawl and Prime 3, Nintendo will make these games work and very fun while not changing them from their roots.

It seems like a lot of Nintendo Fanboys are split down the middle whether to embrace or end up angry, and those guys need to accept that the Wii is gonna be a bit shit in these early months and wait for a while or just move on to another platform.

But I agree with Hellfire that cheap shots like the one that immy threw are not needed abd I'm sure that everyone on this forum is a Nintendo fanboy in some way otherwise we wouldn't be here.

Oh yeah sorry Aimless my post was a bit pointless then, :heh:, I guess I missed that other paragraph of yours.

Yeah, silly me. I didnt realise those were Wii games.

Square-Enix have finite resources, jackass. My point was that they aren't snubbing Nintendo in general, and have Wii games in development. This is just the kind of games we're going to be getting on Nintendo systems. Once SE's teams are done with their DS games they'll either be put onto more DS games or more Wii games.

Square aren't snubbing Wii, they've just chosen to put most of their effort into DS for now (seeing as, you know, it's sold more worldwide than all the next-gen systems and PSP combined).

Snubbing would be not having any support whatsoever and a developer calling it a peice of shit in an interview. That's plainly not what's happening here. Personally, I think you're just trolling.

Square-Enix have finite resources, jackass. My point was that they aren't snubbing Nintendo in general, and have Wii games in development. This is just the kind of games we're going to be getting on Nintendo systems. Once SE's teams are done with their DS games they'll either be put onto more DS games or more Wii games.

Square aren't snubbing Wii, they've just chosen to put most of their effort into DS for now (seeing as, you know, it's sold more worldwide than all the next-gen systems and PSP combined).

Snubbing would be not having any support whatsoever and a developer calling it a peice of shit in an interview. That's plainly not what's happening here. Personally, I think you're just trolling.

Listen asshole, I never brought the DS into it. I specifically said WII was being snubbed.

You talk about limited resources - well thats my point! why waste money and resources developing for a system that has already proven a flop, has a laughable userbase and whose sales are dropping lower and lower, month after month. Yes folks, I AM talking about the PS3.

Furthermore you claim I am trolling? Do you really put Chocobo's mysterious dungeon up there with the likes of final fantasy or that new epic RPG the last remnant? Crystal Cronicles might be of some hope, but judging from the GC game, I doubt it. Even a main final fantasy spin off such as FF13 Versus would have done.. but no.

That dragons quest sword game is irrelevant too. Why? Because it is based on a TV plug in and play game, the likes you see in toys r us for a tenner... yep deep gameplay indeed, or just sword swinging crap.

Fact is that Nintendo have proven themselves with the wii, month after month its sales go through the roof, demand is NOT going down - yet square would rather support the flagging PS3. And considering it costs a great deal more to develop on the PS3, I'd say they are snubbing the wii right now.

Listen... why would they announce the projects they started like... say, yesterday? or last month?

They've shown Chocobo to the media, and FFCC; and we know how long FFCC has been in the works.

All of those games started being done before Wii launched; including chocobo, if they're being shown now.

When you hear about a next square-enix project revealed for Wii you'll just know it's been started way before that.

I'd say there's more support coming, question is when will it be announced.

Chill out

Listen... why would they announce the projects they started like... say, yesterday? or last month?

They've shown Chocobo to the media, and FFCC; and we know how long FFCC has been in the works.

All of those games started being done before Wii launched; including chocobo, if they're being shown now.

When you hear about a next square-enix project revealed for Wii you'll just know it's been started way before that.

I'd say there's more support coming, question is when will it be announced.

Chill out

I hope you are right and this is a case of Square being caught with their trousers down. One thing puzzles me about that logic, how come they made the decision long in advance to support the xbox360 then?.. but I suppose this could be a case of doing a quick and dirty port using the unreal3 engine.

I hope you are right and this is a case of Square being caught with their trousers down. One thing puzzles me about that logic, how come they made the decision long in advance to support the xbox360 then?.. but I suppose this could be a case of doing a quick and dirty port using the unreal3 engine.
They aren't supporting X360 more than Wii.

They bought Unreal Engine 3 for cross platform games (meaning X360 support), so it's not even a port, it's just cross platform as the engine exists for both systems.

I doubt they would use UE3 for a exclusive game, simply put, if Square wants to push a system technically, UE3 is not their best choice, it's just a 3rd party middleware.

FFXIII uses Square-Enix own White Engine for example.

But doing Last Renmant exclusive possibly posed a threat for Square-Enix being a new franchise and all, next gen games are expensive, and Valkyrie profile Silmeria, Secret of Mana 4, Star Ocean 3 kinda flopped, making one investment like that quite risky, hence selling it on more than one platform, to make the title more rentable. This way they also ended with the costs of a new Engine (Square-Enix often does engines from scratch for their games, meaning FFX, FFXI and FFXII on Ps2 have diferent engines)

They did it most likely predicting X360 would dominate US market seeing software sales on the system and of course in the eventuality of PS3 flopping, hence why Last Renmant is a RPG more aimed for the western than normal.

Square-Enix announced support for X360 a while ago, it's just not preferential, but they're third party and they're supporting everyone.

DS is their system of choice, but they still support PSP, they outsource to other studios some 2D remakes for it, and are doing FFVII Crisis Core and some fighting game to keep fans happy, but DS is getting the better treatment and new content.

X360 support will continue in the future, same for PS3 even if Wii starts being the prefered Square system, square isn't abandoning either, just supporting one more based on the market itself.

Look to be honest...wheres the surprise?! Square jumped ship after the SNES and have since been shacked up with Sony and to be honest if you are a Square fan and own a Wii you should be grateful for what is showing up the Wii (and DS for that matter) as back in the day when Square and Nintendo first feel out it looked like the two would never work together again...

And finally if your a real Square fan anyway...you'll have a PS3 anyway safe in the knowledge you will be playing the A+ titles they will bring out over the coming years, anything on the Wii is a bonus...

Listen asshole, I never brought the DS into it. I specifically said WII was being snubbed.

You talk about limited resources - well thats my point! why waste money and resources developing for a system that has already proven a flop, has a laughable userbase and whose sales are dropping lower and lower, month after month. Yes folks, I AM talking about the PS3.

PS3 has been out in all territories for 2 months, you can't call jack shit yet. Modern Final Fantasy fans (7-12) all have Playstations. They assume the sequels to the kind of games they like will appear on the sequel to the system they had those games on. In other words, modern Final Fantasy and Sony go hand in hand for that fanbase. They would buy a PS3 for those games.

As much as I want to believe PS3 is a flop, it's not going to have all support ripped from it. Not when Square can satisfy 2 very different fanbases at the same time.

Furthermore you claim I am trolling?

Yes. You made a thread to get across the idea that Square Enix has snubbed the Wii. This is blatently wrong, the only purpose it seems to serve is to rile up Nintendo fans. Such a practise is not at all uncommon on these forums.

Do you really put Chocobo's mysterious dungeon up there with the likes of final fantasy or that new epic RPG the last remnant?

I put Superman 64 "up" there with Final Fantasy! Final Fantasy is pretty much the most overrated RPG series on the planet. It's not even a game anymore for Christ's sake, a ton of the appeal of FF12 was that it does most of the basic crap for you leaving you to enjoy some cutscenes starring nancy-boys dressed as complete gimps and some spice girl wannabe sluts.

Meanwhile, Wii gets shit like Dragon Quest and action games with characters that ACTUALLY LOOK like RPG characters. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Mana and Chrono made a return on Nintendo systems too. At any rate, it looks like Nintendo's snagged Dragon Quest, in my opinion a far superior series to this clapped-out MTV garbage SE push on Sony's platforms.

Crystal Cronicles might be of some hope, but judging from the GC game, I doubt it. Even a main final fantasy spin off such as FF13 Versus would have done.. but no.

The only thing wrong with the GC game was how much organisation it required. We already know the next one won't use link cables and WILL be online. Perhaps you just want to "play" movie RPGs, but some people acually want to see SE return to their roots and give us to totally playable traditional RPG stuff.

Jesus Christ, you're bitching about Square only having 2 games for Wii in it's first year, do you have any idea how totally moronic you sound? FFXIII isn't even coming out this year for PS3 for fuck's sake, what the hell are you complaining about Wii support for? Wii has been out a grand total of 5 months, do you think that MAYBE, closer to the new E3/TGS we might learn about more titles?

That dragons quest sword game is irrelevant too. Why? Because it is based on a TV plug in and play game, the likes you see in toys r us for a tenner... yep deep gameplay indeed, or just sword swinging crap.

Fact is that Nintendo have proven themselves with the wii, month after month its sales go through the roof, demand is NOT going down - yet square would rather support the flagging PS3. And considering it costs a great deal more to develop on the PS3, I'd say they are snubbing the wii right now.

http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=65102

Yeah, you're right. This game TOTALLY doesn't look like an RPG. I mean it's not like there's a totally new Dragon Quest battle system, full cast of characters, deep story, voice acting and cutscenes. And it certainly doesn't look any FUN. Fuck no! It's just a plug and play TV sequel!