NEurope
Stocka

Brothers in Arms: Double Time

oooo isn't this the first BiA game for a nintendo console? Nice find!

Kind of expected it considering the DS version has been in development for quite sometime.

Was expecting this too. Wii controls should work great, and maybe we will get some fantastic graphics, seeing as the DS' version's graphics are of a high grade!

This should be good. Let's face it it's likely to be better than medal of honour but i want more than WWII shooters. ive me more red steel and timesplitters or something

I thought the Wii was getting a conversion of the PSP game, I hope this is 100% new, but then again, look how far cry turned out, a good franchise turned to crap.

A new Timesplitters for Wii would be heavenly...

*Thinks of mapmaker + Wiimote*

*Drools*

*Thinks of playing rest of game with Wiimote*

*Explodes with excitement*

*Thinks of mapmaker + Wiimote*

*Drools*

*Thinks of playing rest of game with Wiimote*

*Explodes with excitement*

Yup! :D. Did you ever get that copy of NGC that told you how to map all the classic Goldeneye and Perfect Dark levels with the mapmaker? Timesplitters in Facility and Bunker was the most fun you can have without being forced to cuddle afterwards...

Isn't Brothers in Arms being developed by Gearbox? The ones who were scaling down the Unreal Engine 3 for the Wii?

where did you hear that from.

Is there anypoint in trying to down scale UE3 for Wii. Surely after you scale it down you would pretty much left with the UE 2.5.

where did you hear that from.

Is there anypoint in trying to down scale UE3 for Wii. Surely after you scale it down you would pretty much left with the UE 2.5.

Insiders claim that Gearbox was at one point experimenting with Unreal Engine 3 and attempting to create a dumbed-down version that would run on Wii. Unfortunately, we have been unable to confirm the accuracy of those rumors.

So Mr. Rein confirms the title, states that someone is working to port the UE3 to the Wii, and IGN claims they heard rumors of Gearbox trying to get it done. It seems way too coincidental for all three of these things to come together like that, and not turn out to be true.

No, if you scale it down you won't be left with just Unreal Engine 2.5; that's like saying if you scale down Unreal Engine 2 you'll be left with Unreal Engine 1.

Besides... Our build of Unreal Engine 2.5 is pretty crap and subpar (look at red steel), considering Xbox got UE2.X all these years ago...

Epic ought to make a optimized UE2.5 port for Wii or make a scaled down UE3 engine, UE2.5+ (plus) or something, simple as that.

If Epic would do it and optimize it enough you'd have a pretty capable engine nonetheless, despite the limitations and easy porting from between next gen consoles.

With a third party having the work to port it... well, the results aren't gonna be the same, but like I said in the other thread I wish gearbox the best of luck.

EDIT:

old thread about UE3 porting here:

-> http://www.n-europe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12440

Yup! :D. Did you ever get that copy of NGC that told you how to map all the classic Goldeneye and Perfect Dark levels with the mapmaker? Timesplitters in Facility and Bunker was the most fun you can have without being forced to cuddle afterwards...

I did! It was probably the first games magazine I bought, and it was because it had those maps in it. Unfortunately, Facility always used to crash for me for some reason. I think it was due to having too many doors...

Can you say April Fools?
hmmm? from brothers in arms or ue3?

ue3 was talked with gearbox in the same sentence since last february, there's no newer news regarding that.

Brothers in Arms for the Wii (by gearbox) was also known to be in development.

This should be interesting. Definetely worth watching this one, it promises to bring some good stuff to the Wii in general (perfect FPS controls, online play and Unreal Engine 3). Not only that, but the Brothers In Arms have proved to be excellent games so far, definetely better than MoH and probably better than CoD.

Has anyone scanned the entire article?

Press release:

Brothers In Arms officially announced for Wii and DS

Today Ubisoft and Gearbox Software announced that the critically acclaimed and multimillion-unit selling Brothers In Arms franchise is in development for the Nintendo DS and Wii. Scheduled to ship this year, Brothers In Arms Double Time (fall) and Brothers In Arms DS (summer) will, for the first time, immerse Nintendo system owners into the intensity of World War II through the stories of Sergeants Baker and Hartsock and their squad of paratroopers during the Normandy invasion.

“Brothers In Arms on the Wii and DS systems is really exciting for us,†said Randy Pitchford, president of Gearbox Software. “I am a huge fan of both systems and thrilled about making games for the two platforms. In the entire space of first-person shooters on video game systems, Brothers In Arms really lends itself to both the Wii and DS interfaces. Imagine using the Wii Remote to give actual hand signals or aiming with the DS stylus from a covered position. That’s what you can look forward to with Brothers In Arms Double Time and Brothers In Arms DS.â€

Brothers In Arms Double Time brings the best of this acclaimed WWII action franchise to the Wii system, while adding the use of innovative gameplay with the Wii Remote. Brothers In Arms DS brings all the action and strategy of the series to a handheld, utilizing the DS Touch Screen to control the squad.

Brothers In Arms Double Time Key Features:

* Next-Generation Brothers In Arms - The award-winning WWII franchise comes to the Wii system with all of the action, story and authenticity that has critics and fans eager for more.

* Combining All 31 Playable Levels: Play as Sergeants Matt Baker and Joe Hartsock, leading your squad behind enemy lines through the Normandy invasion.

* Unrivaled Authenticity: Fight actual Airborne Infantry battles of D-Day accurately recreated using thousands of official photos, maps, After-Action Reports and eyewitness accounts under the direction of Military and Historical Director, Col. John Antal.

* Challenging and Dynamic Combat: Featuring close-quarter urban environments and a next-generation artificial intelligence system, Brothers In Arms Double Time promises to take authentic military action to the next level on the Wii system.

* Enhanced Control Scheme: Issue orders and perform military gestures to command and lead your team using the Wii Remote.

For more information about Brothers In Arms, please visit http://www.brothersinarmsgame.com.

I've been playing this on the PC, and it's really quite good. Unlike COD where you're a lone super soldier wading through the entire male population of central Europe, this requires a little bit of tactial common sense to work your way through what is essentialy a series of startegic puzzles. Puzzles involving grenades, rifles and machine guns. By "all 31 levels" I assume they mean everything from the last two games?

First images:

brothers-in-arms-double-time-20070817012422508.jpg

brothers-in-arms-double-time-20070817012423086.jpg

Turns out the game was ousourced to Demiurge Software and not done by gearbox itself, interview here:

-> http://wii.ign.com/articles/813/813555p1.html

I've got to say, I expected a lot more, and I really think developers should abandon these stupid 1 year development schedules, it's so obvious they're pilling over for christmas 2007, thing is they lost too much time on controls and neglected the graphics.

Ready... haven't they heard Wii has no problem doing bump maps? they just assume people don't expect graphics, but we do, not HD ones, but EFFORT.

Turns out the game was ousourced to Demiurge Software and not done by gearbox itself, interview here:

LAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEE

This gives further prrof to my theory that someone is actually paying devs to do crappy graphics on Wii games.

That seriously blows.

FFS, they could've just ported the Xbox games without fucking up the graphics?

In the IGN interview they try to come across real hard-working, but the graphics suck, the levels are old and there's no multiplayer. This could've been a great game.

That seriously blows.

FFS, they could've just ported the Xbox games without fucking up the graphics?

In the IGN interview they try to come across real hard-working, but the graphics suck, the levels are old and there's no multiplayer. This could've been a great game.

Half assed is the word, just noticed in the product page...

"Also Available On: PlayStation Portable"

Now... what the f*ck is this?

IMO, it was a decision taken when they still thought the Wii was a fad and they thought they should beenfit from the PSP, probably they thought it would sell more on PSP, and probably... being this shitty on Wii... it might.

These guys have no market sense.

"well, what can we shovel onto the platform?" And Gearbox and us were like, "shovel's not such a good idea." I mean there's a lot of crap, right?

Problem is... this is shovel.