NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Rummy

Need help fast! Windows XP won't start!

I have XP on my laptop, last night my laptop froze just as I was coming onto N-E's site, so I reset it as I normally do when it freezes up.

But this time, windows doesn't start, everytime it tries(like at the xp loading screen) it'll suddenly restart the whole laptop again! I've tried loading in safe mode, loading in safe mode with command prompt, loading in safe mode for networking, pretty much every single option you can get by pressing F8 at startup.

Nothing is working. When I try the safe mode loadups, it doesn't restart but instead it freezes at a file called Mup.sys.

PLEASE does anyone know what I can do to fix this WITHOUT losing stuff on my hard drive? Even if I could just somehow boot it into dos/the command prompt, I just really really need to save like 1 file, which is my work due for a week from now, I don't want to have to do it again.

EDIT: Ok, I left it longer and it went past that bit with Mup.sys, but proceeded to restart itself again. However, I found the floppy disk that came with the laptop, booted DOS off that, managed to get to my file(shouldnt have put it on the desktop) then copied it to another disk and to my computer, so I'm less fucked now. However, I still have a laptop that won't work, and I don't want to reinstall windows yet because I don't think the CD drive is working properly.

Might be heat problems, check the CPU temperature at the BIOS.

If that was the case, wouldn't it boot up normally from when it's been off for a night? I'll check it anyway, I wish it wasn't a bloody laptop, makes everything so much more damn fiddly.

I suggest you buy a Mac.

Those are the kinds of things that turn other people against people who like Macs. Keep these statements out.

I'm sorry dude, if it's a heating problem you might have a burn on your motherboard or something - it could have been overheated. What helps is unplugging the battery (it's a laptop, right?) for a minute or ten to get the entire RAM empty and all the electricity and heat out of your computer. It works when my macs get's a lock-down and I have to shut it down using the button - so it might just work for you too. And yes, macs are not infailable - they are just a vulnerable to RAM data and electricity remains!

A new question along the same problem.

Does anyone know if I can get DOS to recognise an external harddrive, be it connected through usb or whatever it needs to connect through to be recognised by dos?

the same boot loop problem has happened to me and both times I ended up having to send my laptop back to repairers, first time they replaced the RAM, and then it happened again so they replaced my hard drive, both times ended up losing all my stuff...

the same boot loop problem has happened to me and both times I ended up having to send my laptop back to repairers, first time they replaced the RAM, and then it happened again so they replaced my hard drive, both times ended up losing all my stuff...

If they replace your RAM, you don't lose anything, do you? Tha means you only lost it ocne. If it's twice, they did a fresh, clean isntall on it afterwards, since your RAM doesn't actually keep any data saved.

A new question along the same problem.

Does anyone know if I can get DOS to recognise an external harddrive, be it connected through usb or whatever it needs to connect through to be recognised by dos?

You could try this: http://www.bootdisk.com/usb.htm

Here is what most likely happened:

Windows froze for reason xyz, registry/dll file corrupted.

Method one: Linux rescue:

http://www.knoppix.org/

Download the CD image and burn the image. You will be able to boot into a linux environment which offer NTFS read and ability to mount external USB storage for transfer. After your data is safe, you can try a repair install from your windows XP disc.

Method 2:

Downlo...err...Obtain rightfully and properly from a certified vendor: ERD Commander 2005 and boot from it. Mount your windows xp install to it an try a system restore, which it will give it access to.

BartPE is a free alternative.

Either will give you USB access.

Thanks for the help guys. It's all getting a bit complicated for me, and I'm a bit too busy to get into trying to fix it atm. The most bitching thing is that the CD drive most certainly is broken, I already tried the XP restore, so my next priority is to try and get the drive replaced, which hopefully won't cost me too much, then I'll probably try and get on fixing it myself. If not, I might just ask the people who sort out the CD drive to fix it for me, if they can. I've gotten over losing all my stuff, though I'd rather not, but I'm sure I can live without it.

Sign in to follow this