NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fresh

Connecting Wii to PC Monitor

I'm interested in connecting my Wii to my PC monitor since the TV i use atm is a bit shite.

A quick google turned up results saying I need a VGA Transcoder, however I'm not sure which ones are compatible with my Wii.

Could somebody link me to a good Transcoder or the like.

Cheers!

Typically, a TV Tuner is the way to go. Although, since I am in the US, my stuff is different than yours, so I would not be the best one to link you to suggestions. :shakehead

i'd like to link my wii up to my powerbook but the only software and cables that can do that come with a bunch of other stuff and i don't have the money

has anyone ever seen something cheap that i can use to do this

Hi

This is directly linked to Wii's on monitors, but i didn't think my query was worth a new thread being made for.

Anyway, I'm in the market for a new monitor, and I see that "the good ones" have DVI cables and inputs. Now, I presume DVI is some sort of new fangled cable right? But does it really make a big difference to the quality of the monitor image. That is what it does right?

What I'm really asking is, is DVI a thing I should want to have on a new monitor. And why.

Many Thanks

DVI is a digital signal instead of analogue which VGA is. I'm not 100% sure on what characteristics make it better than VGA, but I get a better picture on my monitor using the DVI over VGA.

Watching video content is probably where I've seen the biggest improvement with DVI.

But yeh, most of the better monitors these days will come with both DVI and VGA connections.

OT - Your sig's quite high btw.

The main advantage of DVI is that it's digital, so it can carry HD signals as well as hdcp. As for the Wii query, Any decent card with s-video input should do the trick.

I've got a Vdigi VD-Z3 if you want to take it off me. Only problem with transcoders is that 480i is a bit dodge.

I've heard the Vdigi's do quite a good job. Does it have component inputs on it by any chance, as your saying it's a bit dodge with 480i?

Another solution is to buy this here. Supports loads of signals and inputs, and it's at a decent price.

I originally was well interested in connecting the Wii up to a pc monitor, but I managed to persuade my lil sister to give me her small tv for Uni.

Another solution is to buy this here. Supports loads of signals and inputs, and it's at a decent price.

Know any UK site that have it for sale? that looks like just what I'm looking for.

I'm not 100% sure on what characteristics make it better than VGA

Convertions. PC = Digital, Monitor = Digital, VGA= Analogue, DVI = Digital. If you use VGA the computer has to convert the signal to analogue and then the monitor converts it back to digital. Each convertion causes a drop in quality.

With DVI there are no convertions so the quality is far better

I've heard the Vdigi's do quite a good job. Does it have component inputs on it by any chance, as your saying it's a bit dodge with 480i?.

Yeah, it's component only.

Know any UK site that have it for sale? that looks like just what I'm looking for.

Sorry, didn't see your comment until now. But I did search to see if any other places were selling it from the UK, but didn't look like it. But these guys ship to the UK, so not all is lost. Good price as well.

Might consider one in the future. Will just have to see what my set-up is like next year when I move out of halls.

Sign in to follow this