N-Europe

My PC is on its last legs

Tom

Have you cleaned out all the dust? Thats the main problem for overheating.

try applying new thermal paste between the processor and and heat sink. worked for my laptop that kept freezing and shutting itself off.

Oh and just so this thread isn't biased install a linux distro on it. better than Vista, XP or whatever version of OSX macs are running nowadays. *ducks and covers*

Have you cleaned out all the dust? Thats the main problem for overheating.

try applying new thermal paste between the processor and and heat sink. worked for my laptop that kept freezing and shutting itself off.

Oh and just so this thread isn't biased install a linux distro on it. better than Vista, XP or whatever version of OSX macs are running nowadays. *ducks and covers*

Linux is a fine solution, mate. But it's the hard way. We're not all computer-experts, and we're not all able to install such a thing. I highly doubt it's better than macOs X to be honest - it's based on an open-sourced UNIX code called Darwin, just like Linux (okay not all are darwin, but most are UNIX). Linux brings you that far if you're into ICT. But if you want a computer to run the programs normal people need you'de better go for the well-known and installed sets of OS. Like MacOS X or Windows.

Nice suggestion of ducking out of the way. But i'm not the one to pull the trigger over here, mate.

Linux is a fine solution, mate. But it's the hard way. We're not all computer-experts, and we're not all able to install such a thing. I highly doubt it's better than macOs X to be honest - it's based on an open-sourced UNIX code called Darwin, just like Linux (okay not all are darwin, but most are UNIX). Linux brings you that far if you're into ICT. But if you want a computer to run the programs normal people need you'de better go for the well-known and installed sets of OS. Like MacOS X or Windows.

Nice suggestion of ducking out of the way. But i'm not the one to pull the trigger over here, mate.

Try Ubuntu, nowadays linux is easier to install than windows xp/2000. But you can choose to do it the hard way if you like.

Try Ubuntu, nowadays linux is easier to install than windows xp/2000. But you can choose to do it the hard way if you like.

Ubuntu was one of the easiest instalations I ever did, right there next to XP. But Vista somehow managed to be even more idiot proof.

The problem lies in the lack of professional software. I don't have photoshop (GIMP does not replace it), nor illustrator, nor InDesign. Ubuntu is a new rising OS. Still I find MacOS X or Windows Vista for that latter a much more reliable solution. You get the basic application, but on the professional front you're screwed. I like the open-source stuff, but one of them should step up and get into talking to the big guys. Okay, the big guys lately have been limited to mostly Adobe, but okay. Get them aboard and you got an OS. Don't, and you fail. Sorry.