NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Max

My first Virus? help needed

hi all

ok, iv been using trent Pc-cillin for over 3 years and have had no problems.

today, its been deactivated and does not start on startup, and i cant launch it no matter what do.

So... i downloaded NOD32, AVG and other antivirals programs and non of them install, i keep getting errors in either exctraction or installation.

further more, i get like 50-60 Internet Explorers windows open in 5 seconds and computer becomes non-responsive even though i always use firefox.

online virus scan detected nothing apart from 2 adware programs.

what to do?

if you don't like viruses get a mac

there are absoulutley no viruses that can effect any version of osx and most likley there never will be.

...and thats the type of response that leads to us mac fans getting the type of abuse that we can be subject to.

I wouldn't be so complacent as there is every possibilty that macs will one day get hit.

To the OP , seeing as no virus' were seemingly picked up , it may be worth attempting to restore your system to an earlier point and see if the same problems persist.

there are absoulutley no viruses that can effect any version of osx and most likley there never will be.

Brain washed by a comercial.

Ok, no one seems to help. If you want to talk about Mac why don't you post in the Mac thread?

What I would do my friend is this:

Type in msconfig.exe in your run command and then when it loads up go to the Startup tab; once on here uncheck everything. Restart your computer and then see if you're able to install an anti-virus program. If you are, then get the anti-virus program to do a full system check at the booting stage.

However, there is a good chance you will not be able to open msnconfig.exe because quite a lot of virus disable these sort of things. In that case you can either try to fight the virus battle by getting anti-virus programs to try and work on your PC, with their fancy boot discs or what not. Or, you can do what I would do and just install XP again with a nice format.

If you know your computer inside out you could try HijackThis http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/programs.php but be sure to read all the instructions for it. It generates a list of everything that starts when the pc starts. And then you can choose which ones you don't want to start at startup. This includes programs/services that are needed for normal operation. So be careful.

You're not helping, dude. Macs are good stuff, but don't just say that when there's no need to. he didn't ask for aa useless reply. Mac-fans can only go that far untill their responses get annoying, even for me, a mac-users, it's annoying.

Anyway, probably the best solution is to re-install your computer. Just boot up your disc and command-line the system to boot it instead of the current operating system. That should work.

Oh jeeze...

Not only are you incredibly wrong but annoying as hell in the process. Congradulations.

Anyway, Wes' suggestion seems to be the best way of sorting this.

Oh jeeze...

Not only are you incredibly wrong but annoying as hell in the process. Congradulations.

Anyway, Wes' suggestion seems to be the best way of sorting this.

We're having the 'discussion' on virusses on mac in the mac thread right now. there are 400 known right now, but none of them has ever breached (or reached) my computer. Probably Wes' solution is the best to handle the thing properly - and if you can't download the program mine might be the best catch you'll get. Good luck with your virus-hunting!

i know about that but there was an emediate security update and its not a security update.

by the way i knew about it long before the comercial.

no viruses due to the small install base /end conversation.

Ok, no one seems to help. If you want to talk about Mac why don't you post in the Mac thread?

What I would do my friend is this:

Type in msconfig.exe in your run command and then when it loads up go to the Startup tab; once on here uncheck everything. Restart your computer and then see if you're able to install an anti-virus program. If you are, then get the anti-virus program to do a full system check at the booting stage.

However, there is a good chance you will not be able to open msnconfig.exe because quite a lot of virus disable these sort of things. In that case you can either try to fight the virus battle by getting anti-virus programs to try and work on your PC, with their fancy boot discs or what not. Or, you can do what I would do and just install XP again with a nice format.

tried that and it didnt work, kept getting some sort of error, so i formated the whole system, just finished now, took me like 8 hours or so.

Ah poo. :( Lose a lot of stuff?

at least 18 GB of music, 60 GB of movies and so on.

TBH, thats was the last thing on my mind.

ah well, shit happens.

at least 18 GB of music, 60 GB of movies and so on.

TBH, thats was the last thing on my mind.

ah well, shit happens.

This will teach you the whole book of Back-up for the future. Very handy feature, those 'back-up'-s.

This will teach you the whole book of Back-up for the future. Very handy feature, those 'back-up'-s.

Yes especially when the internet has backed up those already ;)

But seriously though hijackthis could have saved you a format. Or at least make it easier to do the backups.

Or he could have used Ubuntu LiveCD and backup everything before the format.

Sign in to follow this