NEurope
ReZourceman

Can Someone Explain Processors/Pentium To Me.

Hi guys.

Please can someone tell me the difference basically between all (Or current) Pentium Processors. I like Pentium 4 and have been under the impression that recently it has been best for Photoshop.

Intel® Pentium® D Processor 820 featuring dual-core processing (2.80GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2 x 1MB L2 cache)

^^ Whats that like for Photoshop.

Cheers for any help!

The Pentium D (Dual core) afaik was the short lived successor to the P4. It was the short step before it was rebranded Core Duo/Core 2 Duo.

If you really wanna have a great photo shopping chip, go for a Core 2 Duo. Dual Core really helps when rendering especially if the application has specific support for it. But this means you'll need a new motherboard and probably new ram...

Hmmm... it should be. Depends on the speed of the P4 and if it has hyperthreading.

But over all, yes.

Well the only answer to that, that I have is "I bought it from PC World just over 2 years ago"

I have no idea if that will answer it though. Anyway thanks...theyve got a nice £350 PC on Play...no monitor...but....Like...well yeah.

...Where can you get cheap monitors from? Lol!

The general acceptance is that Core 2 Duo (or Core 2 Quad) are the best at the moment.

I just played Black and White 2, max settings, 1280x1024, 4xAA, 16xAF. Smoooooooooooth, i had a joygasm over it, with a Core 2 Duo.

For the price of that Pentium D you can't get a Core processor, but you can get an AMD Athlon 64 X2 (the 3800+ version) on yout budget which should be faster. The Pentium D was a piece of crap from what I've read it about it.

No.

the duel core AMD's are utter tripe, the Athlon 64's were good though.

As Sousa said just buy a Core2

Core 2/Duo is simply out of my price range/not needed.

I do however need at least Pentium 4, but was querying if what I specified was better or worse Lol. Thanks for all the info though.

What exactly are processors anyways?

The AMDs were good. Were. Core2Duo freaking pans their candy ass now though. Pentium D's ain't all that, mind, but they'll do for PS.

A processor, or CPU, is essentially the computers primary brain, performing squillions of calculations constantly to create the code that forms the programmes on your computer.

Well, that's just the gist of it anyway. Don't let it keep you awake at night, just make sure you have a friendly tech nerd handy to advise you. :heh:

Thanks for all your help guys. It should be noted the extent tech-wise of games Ill be running are Roller Coaster Tycoon 2, Worms and Red Alert 2.

What exactly are processors anyways?

Processors are more commonly known as CPU's (CPU is short for Central Processing Unit).

The CPU can be thought of as the brains of the computer system. Often people mistake the case or chassis of their computer as the CPU. The CPU is actually an internal component of the computer that can not bee seen from the outside of the system, or the inside without removing the CPU heatsink and fan. A CPU is commonly the most expensive component of a computer and is very sensitive to static electricity.

Often people mistake the case or chassis of their computer as the CPU.

It used to mean the whole computer but now it means the processor. Some "old school" people might still refer to the actual computer as a cpu.