N-Europe

DX10

rajmist

I think that you can, the new features just don't work. Just like it was with dx7-9.

But for dx10 vista is a requirement. A completely useless one though. There's absolutely no reason why microsoft couldn't make a version for xp. They just want to get the hardcore pc gamers interested in vista.

As far as I know, to use the Aero theme you only need a DirectX 9 card but obviously you can only use one of the high end card for DX10.

However, at the moment are no games out that actually use DX 10. I guess the DX 10 optimized games should be released within about half a year.

I don't know if anyone can back that up but I heard that the new Nvidia cards don't support all DX 10 features.

But for dx10 vista is a requirement. A completely useless one though. There's absolutely no reason why microsoft couldn't make a version for xp.

Except that Vista features nearly completely re-written core, and has biggest changes in core since Windows 3.11. DX10 was programmed to take full advantage of new core, and theoretically it should give about 30 percent boost because certain bottlenecks were removed. In fact, DX10 is so different from DX9, that you actually need install DX9 seperately to Vista. DX10 doesn't have backwards compatibility with older versions at all.

Except that Vista features nearly completely re-written core, and has biggest changes in core since Windows 3.11. DX10 was programmed to take full advantage of new core, and theoretically it should give about 30 percent boost because certain bottlenecks were removed. In fact, DX10 is so different from DX9, that you actually need install DX9 seperately to Vista. DX10 doesn't have backwards compatibility with older versions at all.

I'm not saying it's not different, but it would be possible to make a version for xp. That bit about dx10 not being backwards compatible was new though.

"It's just a hardware interface spec"

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200701/N07.0109.1737.15034.htm?Page=2

I wouldn't recommend Vista just at this moment in any case, as it'll be a good six months before everyone patches up their programmes and updates their drivers to make them compatible.

As for upcomming DX10 games, we currently have Crysis, Alan Wake, Flight Simulator X, Unreal Touny 3 and... um... err, yeah.

Oh, and they're redesigning the Eve Online client for DX10. But if you're not already excited by that prospect, it's unlikely you ever will be.

PS. I have a sweepstake for March 18th being the first sighting of Vistas new and improved BSOD. Fingers crossed.

Why March 18th?

Basic jist is, MS wanted people over to Vista so they made DX10 exclusive to Vista...

Very few games have even been annouced to be DX10 at the moment so theres little point in buying a super beefed up machine with no purpose.

Ermm... really? You mean i can't use DX 9 aplications in windows vista? Because i've been playing Battlefield 2142 (a DX9 game) on a DX9 video card in Windows Vista (Ultimate 64-bit).

I just meant that there is two seperate installs. When you install DX10, it doesn't replace DX9. It seems like DX9 is already installed on Vista's retail version. But if (for some reason) your DX9 would break up, you would be forced to install it again. I heard this happened few times during betatest.

I just meant that there is two seperate installs. When you install DX10, it doesn't replace DX9. It seems like DX9 is already installed on Vista's retail version. But if (for some reason) your DX9 would break up, you would be forced to install it again. I heard this happened few times during betatest.

Oh, okay, i get it now. But the way you said it looked like Vista would not run DX9 aplications, when it does.