NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
MoogleViper

The Creative Writing Thread

If you've written any type of creative writing post it here. I'll start with a start to a story I started writing a long time ago.

The Revealing Darkness

Chapter 1

THUD! The castle gates slammed shut behind me. I wasn’t getting back in there. Not until I have the head of Ashabulsk, the chief orc of the Kaslan tribe. King Rowan had been clear on my quest.

“Sir Edward,” the King announced, “I have a quest for thee. Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to bring me the head of Ashabulsk, the chief orc of the Kaslan tribe. But beware, this is no ordinary quest. No, this orc is a demon amongst orcs. Legend has it that this orc is twice the size and thrice the power of an ordinary orc. With an army just short of one thousand, Ashabulsk poses a serious threat to my kingdom. Thus it is your mission to slay this foul beast, and bring his head to me. Sir Edward, do you accept your quest?”

Do you accept your quest? That was no question, King Rowan never asked questions, he only gave orders. My stomach churned as I uttered, “I accept your highness.”

“Excellent,” the King exclaimed with a smile upon his face. The sullen faced guards stood either side of him never moved a muscle. “Now this is no easy task, far from it. This is why I have chosen you, my most worthy knight.” The King’s flattery just echoed through my head. There was only one thing on my mind, fear. “The Kaslan camp lies a good 27 miles north north west from here. However there will be orcs crawling around for miles surrounding the camp. Now here is a painting of what Ashabulsk looks like.” The King handed me a crudely done painting. It was obvious that whoever painted this didn’t want to get too close to Ashabulsk, nor did he want to stay near him for too long. Understandably so, it appeared, from the painting I could see that Ashabulsk was about 12 foot tall and was a similar distance wide. This was not going to be easy.

“Good luck Sir Edward, and remember, the kingdom’s fate is in your hands.”

I started walking through the dense forest, dreading what lay ahead of me. I kept walking, trying to ignore the rustlings of nearby animals. It was the middle of the night and the enormous trees cast eerie shadows across the forest floor. The lump in my throat expanded with each step. I swallowed hard and carried on.

I’d walked for what felt about 15 miles. The forest was thinning out. My legs were tired and my arm numb from carrying the heavy shield. I could have carried the shield on my back, but something in my head told me that I should keep it ready. And it was right.

Snap! I heard a twig snap to the left of me. I spun around in time to see a flurry of arrows heading straight towards me. With lightning reactions I dropped to the floor and crouched behind my shield. Some of them hit the floor around me, I heard some others bounce off of my shield. I was stuck. If I didn’t do something soon I’d be a dead man. I heard whispering to my right. I turned my head to see an arrow heading straight for me. But I was too slow. The arrow hit my exposed thigh. It ripped through my leg. The pain was unbearable. I fought through it to keep my balance. I felt another one hit my calf. It was agony. I dug my shield into the ground in order to stay upright. My body felt as if it was being ripped apart by itself. I lifted my head up to see an orc advancing towards me. He raised his bow, pulled back and fired. The arrow flew straight into my chest. I looked down and saw half an arrow sticking out of my breast. I felt that this was the end. The most horrible feeling for anyone is knowing that their time has come.

I lifted my head and saw a white light. A friendly, enticing light. The light grew bigger, expanding across the night sky. I dropped the shield and lifted my arms. The pain was gone. No sadness flowed through my body. I felt myself floating higher and higher until…

Chapter 2

I woke up with a start. Sweat poured from my body. I was panting hard. Outside the window car headlights rushed through the night. I looked round my room. Everything was there. The door, the television, the games console. I checked my leg, there was nothing out of the ordinary. I had just had a bad dream that was all. But it felt so real. The night air, the King’s voice, the orcs’ arrows. I had felt them all. I felt the pain. My head was spinning. I checked the clock, 4:53. I would be leaving for school in a few hours. There wasn’t much point in going back to sleep. Not that I could have if I tried.

I made my way down the stairs. A million thoughts flowed through my mind, but none of them made any sense. I entered the kitchen and flicked the switch. A glass of water would help calm me down. I filled the glass and made my way to the living room. I turned on the TV and slumped into the settee. I flicked through the channels but there was nothing on. Why would there be? Nobody watches telly at this time. I switched it off and picked up my glass. The cool water felt like gold running through my body. And then I saw it.

I dropped my glass onto the floor. It shattered into a thousand pieces as the water splashed over the floor. I quickly dived behind the settee. There was a figure outside the window. Who, or what, could it be? I crouched behind the settee hoping that it hadn’t seen me. Then I heard the door creak open. My heart pounded. Whatever it was it was coming to get me.

“Are you ok?” The voice asked. It was my dad coming home from his nightshift. “I saw you goofing around from outside. And what are you doing up at this time?”

“I – I couldn’t sleep,” I murmured.

“Well make sure you don’t fall asleep in school,” My dad warned, “You’ll get no end of ridicule.”

My dad’s light-hearted jokes always managed to make me smile. “I won’t.” I chuckled.

“Well I’m going to bed now. Try not to make to much noise. If I don’t get my beauty sleep I’ll end up looking like you.” He joked.

“No dad, you’ll never be that good looking.” I answered.

“Well good night.”

“Good night.”

I stood there as I saw my dad disappear up the stairs. I hope his dreams aren’t as bad as mine.

I checked the clock, 5:42. I may as well get ready for school.

When I arrived at school I was greeted by the usual noise of the playground. The new year 7s stood nervously in the corner. A group of year 9s were playing football on the field. One had just scored a goal and was running round with his shirt over his head. I made my way towards the double doors. I passed a group of giggling girls. They were probably laughing at some poor sods hair. I was about seven metres from the doors.

“Ah Edward.” said a familiar voice. I turned around half expecting to see a jewelled crown. “Did you have a good holiday?” asked Mr Andrews, my English teacher from last year.

“Yes sir.” I mumbled. I was like a marmite kid when it came to the teachers. Some of them loved me. Some of them hated me.

“Excellent.” He exclaimed. And with that he turned and walked off.

I looked back and saw the spectacled face of the new kid. I remember back in July when he was given a tour of the school by the head teacher. He just stood in the middle of the gates whilst everyone else bustled past him. He looked as sheepish as the year sevens. I kinda felt sorry for him. I mean it was hard enough being the new kid without looking like Harry Potter. I decided to go and talk to him.

“Hi,” I said with a friendly smile on my face.

“Hello,” he murmured back.

“I’m Edward.” I explained.

“I’m Yoric.” The kid replied.

Yoric? He sounded like someone from the middle ages. School wasn’t going to be easy for him.

“Do you know what tutor group you’re in?” I asked.

“11R1.” He answered.

“Ah that’s what I’m in. Follow me, and I’ll show you.” I offered.

“It’s ok. I know where it is.” The kid said more sternly than before. He walked across the playground clutching his bag and staring at the floor. What was his problem? I was trying to be his friend. I saw a group of lads looking at him and sniggering.

I heard the bell ring and decided to make my way to the classroom.

All feedback appreciated.

Edited by MoogleViper

I havn't written any, have many ideas in my head. Started writting down prep work (just getting down character bios, backgrounds, storylines, plot points etc) last night for a film. May finish it before I die.

I havn't written any, have many ideas in my head. Started writting down prep work (just getting down character bios, backgrounds, storylines, plot points etc) last night for a film. May finish it before I die.

I Probably won't finish my story. Was toying with a "Write a chapter each and finish my story" thread but I went with this instead.

It's strange how you start a story but never end it. I've got a good story on my compter too, and I'ml starting with chapter three very soon.But I have a feeling i'll compelte it when i'm fourty or something like that. As if... it takes that long. As if you don't put your full mind to it. Love writing though, but once you got the entire thing in your head it gets boring to type it out. Wich is why my story jumps from here to there making confusion part of the overal reading style. That, and something about how the future is envisioned in hundred years from now. Not that different from now, except that the world has less cars and more parks. A philosphic mankind and a new science. 'Alchemy' reinvented. How? Thanks to my character, a professor named Arthur Adewaele who wrote a theory called 'The Alchemic Sin, or how life existed in four elements'. Now I think that's a good start for a concept. It's claled SoulJacker, by the way. It's dutchj, so if any dutchman or flemish-speaking bastard wants to give it a read, PM me. i'de love some feedback, but posting it wouldn't make to much sense to ye all.

read 3/4 of the first chapter. Inspired by zelda?

I have a story/poem.

There was a man called jim.

He was funny - but thin.

No match for the broad Knight.

Although he stood to fight.

For - it was 10:22.

And he needed a poo.

And so pushed the knight over.

with a four leaf clover.

And so wiped his behind.

With something he could find.

:hehe:

I've writen a dutch poem. here's a rough translation:

Echo in your eyes

Voices are Hollow

It seems as if you listen

but don't hear what I see

Echo in your eyes

Holled voiced out

Je listen like it seems

I heard what you said

What do you think?

Well, sometimes you can't see him so good,

When he hides his head in his snow white hood,

And rides to kill with his face well hid

And then goes home to his wife and kids.

Wonder if his kids know who he is?

Well, he wants you to hate, he wants you to fear,

He wants you to fear something that's not even there,

He'll give you your hate, he'll give you his lies,

He'll give you the weapons to run out and die.

And you give him your soul.

It has being ages. The great war had bein, but was now over. But in this fog of war, narrow and thick, there was a silent drum. A lone flower growing from the chest of the Edelweissmen. It was a war so dark, that only legends can describe the words. Only hope kept the people alive. It all ended now. There was only one ending. There was a big wave. Water everywhere. People drowning. All air was gone. In a split-second the last hope for a hero dissappeared. The great black tower in the waters of Hryule stood vastly. The great sea had opened up and evil monsters came from the depths of earth. Some say it was where they were locked away. But now, they weren't locked away. Now, they roamed the worlds and they spread the water. Only few survived...

How about a beginning of the story for the prologue to the big Tidal Wave that caused the world to be flooded. Continue the story, perhaps? It is a creative writing thread, no?

Sign in to follow this